Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 11:03 AM

136 posts, read 161,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
I also love cloudy weather It just energizes me. That's why I live somewhere that is cloudy much of the time.

I love it year round in fact. If it's not cloudy then I'm not happy. Well, at least partly cloudy anyhow.

It's definitely much more pleasant (as you have found) to be outside longer without the sun screaming down on you. Another bonus with clouds is that the climates they are found in typically are much more humid and yes, lots of greenery.

Parts of the Pacific Northwest have areas that are quite cloudy but have comparatively mild weather.

If you are willing to have 4 distinct seasons with a greater variety of temperature changes and snow, some good cities for lots of clouds are Syracuse,NY (also Buffalo, Rochester, and Oswego), Erie, PA; Cleveland, OH. All of those places are consistently on the top 10 for cloudiest U.S. cities. I think that there are some cloudy places in Alaska as well

Yes, I definitely feel more energized! Everything just feels better. I have lived in both hot and cold cloudy climates (Midwest and Tampa) and have to agree that the cloudy skies sure make any type of outdoor activity more attractive. Miss the lush greenery too. Even in super humid climates (which do not bother me at all - in fact, I hate dry weather) the clouds make up for any extra heat index due to the humidity. Tampa is almost always cloudy or partly cloudy and feels cooler at 90 degrees than Phoenix at 70 and sunny due to the cloud coverage.

Looking to move somewhere cloudier for sure! I work from home so I am not limited to any particular area. Thinking of going back to the Northeast or possibly the Pacific Northwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2017, 11:38 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,624,428 times
Obviously (or not), Arizona is not the cloudiest state in the nation, but when we do achieve cloudiness, there are those of our transplanted residents who suddenly stop smiling and laughing. They begin spouting unhappy words... losing their grip... and eventually their minds.

They prefer that AZ not remind them of places they came here from. They are here for sunshine and warmth, and if Arizona will not provide that, then they become utterly displeased and will make others aware of their displeasure.

You see... these ones want to be able to send photos back to wherever people live amongst that "cold white stuff"(?) ; photos of themselves standing by swimming pools while wearing swimwear... or t-shirts, shorts and flip-flops. They take great pride and pleasure from doing such things.

If clouds are foisted on them, they become grumpy, and go around with a cloud over their head - so to speak.

http://toonclips.com/600/cartoon-sho...aday-56549.jpg

Old 12-05-2017, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt AZ View Post
Obviously (or not), Arizona is not the cloudiest state in the nation, but when we do achieve cloudiness, there are those of our transplanted residents who suddenly stop smiling and laughing. They begin spouting unhappy words... losing their grip... and eventually their minds.

They prefer that AZ not remind them of places they came here from. They are here for sunshine and warmth, and if Arizona will not provide that, then they become utterly displeased and will make others aware of their displeasure.

You see... these ones want to be able to send photos back to wherever people live amongst that "cold white stuff"(?) ; photos of themselves standing by swimming pools while wearing swimwear... or t-shirts, shorts and flip-flops. They take great pride and pleasure from doing such things.

If clouds are foisted on them, they become grumpy, and go around with a cloud over their head - so to speak.

lol I've noticed that many of the people here are more interested in the weather for the sake of bragging about it to their Chicago family and friends...so true!

Old 12-05-2017, 11:54 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,655,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt AZ View Post

That's not true for me. Besides the warmth, I needed to move here for the sunshine, because back in NY, I had Seasonal Affected Depression, and had to take prescription anti-depressants for it from October to April every year.

I remember that strong El Nino we had in the winter of 04-05; in Feb of 05 when it was cloudy and or rainy every day, my SAD started coming back. Fortunately the sun came out again in March

Old 12-05-2017, 12:03 PM

Not sure why everyone gets so upset when is a cloudy day here and there...it's like chill out - it's going to be sunny for like the next 90 days straight. You would think the break in the monotony would be much appreciated. Seriously it's like living in that Groundhog Day movie everyday - definitely not for people who embrace change.

Old 12-05-2017, 01:16 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,981,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingsoon81 View Post
Not sure why everyone gets so upset when is a cloudy day here and there...
Its been cloudy like 5 of the last 8 days. That's not "here and there", that's downright East Coast style crap. Its ugly.

Old 12-05-2017, 01:31 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,930,504 times
well, at least here in the west valley, the sun has popped out several times through the clouds during the latest cloudy "spell", so it hasnt been that bad, but yes, after about 90 days in a row of almost complete sunshine, it is kinda strange having really cloudy days here.

Old 12-05-2017, 06:50 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,840,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
Arizona dust sure is pretty..
Yet people always buy Swiffers and brush it away

Old 12-06-2017, 06:54 AM

39,109 posts, read 51,335,349 times
I hear it rained last night at Sky Harbor. The drought is over! 103 days. No rain where it matters, though - in my back yard. And the last rain was earlier than Aug 23 or whatever at the airport. I've taken to watering my gravel to hold down the dust.

Old 12-06-2017, 07:12 AM

4,073 posts, read 5,167,757 times
Look...it is the weather...and winter (almost) in Phoenix. Yes, it gets cloudy, overcast, we get cold snaps and usually about once a year, a freeze warning. It has snowed in Phoenix, not much but it has. This is the Desert. It is really hot in the summer and gets cold in the winter. Not Snow belt cold, but cold. So it is cloudy for a few days...I'll take the reprieve from the constant sunshine especially after the warmest November on record.

FWIW...friends in Prescott reported snow last night as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area