Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2017, 04:06 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,590 posts, read 14,722,824 times

Advertisements

Just in case no one knew, we have broken today's Record High Temp. It's 83° right now and the record today was 81° set in 1940
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2017, 01:33 AM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
984 posts, read 1,197,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
That has little or nothing to do with it. The NWS is a federal agency, funded by our federal tax dollars. Remember how NOAA was nearly positive that the winters of 2014-2015 and especially 2015-2016 would be wet and stormy across southern CA and the SW because of the super strong El Niño? Both winters turned out to be the complete opposite of what they predicted ... and it wasn't the Phoenix NWS office that made those predictions!
And you really think the quality of what is provided across the country is the same? In Plains states, weather can be very dangerous, and the same government agencies you're decrying now were much, much more effective. Weather stations here (and any meteorologists) probably aren't as advanced as they are in areas that experience more diverse weather. I mean, it's a pretty safe bet that on July 20, 2018, the weather in Phoenix will be in excess of 100 degrees and sunny. In Dallas, Oklahoma City or St. Louis, that's a much harder call to make. The heat in any of those cities could rival Phoenix on the same day... or it could be balmy and comfortable... or a severe thunderstorm or tornado may happen.

I did refer to mathematics, and you reassured me of the anti-education climate of Phoenix. Weather is extremely hard to predict with any degree of certainty because of so many factors that are almost impossible to take into account. I mentioned chaos theory for a reason: it arose from a mid-century attempt to accurately predict the weather. That's where that butterfly effect comes into play: sensitivity to initial conditions. While the current forecast is for a rainy day, a slight change over the Pacific could drastically alter that forecast. I know it's asking a lot, but just try to consider those hurricane trajectories whenever one approaches the US. Notice how, without fail, the further out the date, the wider the range of the projected path.

Quote:
Seeing how the NWS is pretty incapable of getting much of anything correct as far as long range outlooks, there really isn't much of a need to have these types of forecasts. The NWS is better at keeping records than forecasting weather patterns. With that in mind, the Phoenix NWS should put up a permanent long range forecast that says: "SUNNY, WARM, AND DRY TO ENTERNITY". They would be correct about 90% of the time, which is better than their current track record!
I have a feeling none of the above registered with you, considering current technological capabilities. Please though, let's make sure future generations can't build on what's already been discovered and maybe one day perfect understanding of weather. Now, what you're discussing is climatology, not meteorology. As I stated above, Phoenix is pretty much guaranteed to have life-threatening heat on any given day next summer, but that's also because it's a desert climate and it seems to be getting hotter and drier. Though precise weather events may be hard to predict, the climate seems to be generally trending a certain way. What I think would be interesting to watch (interesting only if I'm not here to directly experience it) would be the aforementioned mathematical principles on Phoenix's infrastructure during a new era of unprecedented heat. It's a little eschatological on my part, but I think it would be fascinating to observe.

Old 12-03-2017, 03:44 PM

123 posts, read 261,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Contrails are EXACTLY that. If you're going to be a wacky conspiracy theorist, at least know the proper terms your bizarre crowd likes to throw around... and in this case you're thinking of "chemtrails".
Don't have a defense for your argument? Just call the other person a conspiracy theorist!

As for the chemtrails, here's Al Gore talking about the program on Ellen:

And here's another one for those who still believe that white lines across the sky are actually clouds:

Old 12-03-2017, 03:51 PM

6,314 posts, read 6,881,765 times
"Cloudy" and "Phoenix" is an oxymoron.

Old 12-03-2017, 04:23 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,925,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
"Cloudy" and "Phoenix" is an oxymoron.
LOL

That is kind of what I was thinking when I saw this thread.

It's like associating my hometown of Syracuse with "sunny" even my current area (Erie) with being sunny.

It's just kinda an oxymoron.

Hey, I just say enjoy a break from that sun. It'll be back soon enough

Old 12-03-2017, 04:43 PM

3,421 posts, read 2,947,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain-Jack View Post
Don't have a defense for your argument? Just call the other person a conspiracy theorist!

And here's another one for those who still believe that white lines across the sky are actually clouds:
well, of course, if its on the internet/youtube, it HAS to be true..

/me goes looking for my aluminum foil hat, just to be sure..

Old 12-03-2017, 08:38 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,075,479 times
Quote:
It was even worse in Phoenix: 2.82 inches the entire year, which tied for the driest year on record. 2009 wasn't much better with 3.26 inches.

I don't really blame the TV weathercasters when they're wrong. Many of them aren't true meteorologists anyway, and they get a lot of their information from NOAA/NWS. I just think it's one of the easiest jobs you can have in a place like Phoenix where it can be the same kind of weather for days or weeks. All you have to do is stand there, push a few buttons, look good for the TV cameras, give the weather reports, and take home a pretty decent paycheck.
The same goes for San Diego; weeks and weeks of the same daily weather forecast. I'm fine with that--others say "boring".

Old 12-04-2017, 07:33 AM

5,649 posts, read 6,007,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
I know; we are super spoiled with this being our first "winter" here...
It was weird actually feeling "cold" this am, more so than any morning since we moved August 4th
Im seeing overnight lows in the lower 40s coming this week. Finally!

Old 12-04-2017, 07:37 AM

5,649 posts, read 6,007,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain-Jack View Post

Oh my. I just don't know what to say other than "I'm sorry you believe that stuff".

Old 12-04-2017, 07:45 AM

3,421 posts, read 2,947,033 times
Quote:
Im seeing overnight lows in the lower 40s coming this week. Finally!
Quote:
Oh my. I just don't know what to say other than "I'm sorry you believe that stuff".
Hopefully, the lower 40's will be cold enough to keep those contrails away from us!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area