Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2017, 03:07 PM

44,694 posts, read 61,850,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaimelavie View Post
Hi everyone,

I recently moved to Phoenix from the Great Lakes. I absolutely love it here! The cost of living, the traffic isn't bad, and most of all its warm. I've found people to be very friendly as well. I am a little confused about something, and this is by no means me complaining, but just curious and a bit confused.

I'm from one of the cloudiest cities in the US, and was very happy to leave there and come to Phoenix. Today, it's mostly sunny, but there are quite a few clouds at the moment.

However, whats up with all the clouds here? In the last couple weeks, there have been days where the sun doesn't even show up, and it's clouds from horizon to horizon....not everyday, but there's been much more than I expected. Especially surprising thing for the 2nd sunniest city on earth (according to weather.com). Its like the sky is white half the time and not blue....very odd to me. FYI...I'm in downtown Phoenix.

Anyway, just wondering if this is usual.

Thanks
It's called 'weather patterns', happens all over the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2017, 03:11 PM

123 posts, read 261,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Those are contrails, not droppings...
Contrails are line-shaped clouds produced by aircraft engine exhaust or changes in air pressure, typically at aircraft cruise altitudes several miles above the Earth's surface. Contrails are composed primarily of water, in the form of ice crystals. Wikipedia
No, that's not what contrails are. Stop spreading misinformation on this board.

Anyone with half a brain can see what's going on.

Old 11-24-2017, 04:16 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,702,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain-Jack View Post

LOL, perhaps a full brain would lead to a more sensible conclusion then? I wonder how some get internet service in their bunkers.

Old 11-24-2017, 04:22 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,067,651 times
Oh, another FYI about Phoenix climate I recently learned: It was a list of the cities with the most frequent fog and those with the least. We came in at 2nd least in the nation.

Not surprisingly, Seattle listed high as well as some other NE cities, but I can't remember which ones. Like I've said before, airline pilots must love flying into Phoenix or Las Vegas Just be on the lookout for other planes and dust or birds.

Old 11-24-2017, 04:25 PM

6,313 posts, read 6,861,186 times
People who want it to be constantly sunny 24/7 I think would prefer living on Mercury than here in Phoenix. I'm thankful for when it is cloudy here, it provides some relief and for once something different. Anything that deviates from normal here in regards to weather patterns is a good thing. One time it hailed in Tucson in July. Loved it and would welcome it again.

Old 11-30-2017, 09:15 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,995,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain-Jack View Post

Contrails are EXACTLY that. If you're going to be a wacky conspiracy theorist, at least know the proper terms your bizarre crowd likes to throw around... and in this case you're thinking of "chemtrails".

Back on topic, we're on day two of gloom and doom. Havent seen the sun in two days now.

Old 11-30-2017, 11:30 AM

8,051 posts, read 12,322,924 times
Who actually believes anything the National Blather Service forecasts? Not even a week ago, their forecast discussions were confident that the unseasonably warm & dry weather would turn cooler & wetter by this coming weekend:

Quote:
235 PM MST Sat Nov 25 2017

Saturday and Sunday...
Over the eastern Pacific, a lower-latitude closed low will develop
off the southern California coast with a long fetch of southwesterly
flow beginning to tap richer subtropical moisture. An even stronger
northern stream system will amplify next weekend off the Pacific
coast with moisture advection occurring across Baja California into
Arizona and southern California. The details are still a bit muddy 7-
8 days out, but the bottom line is there is enough of a signal in
the large-scale pattern that a long awaited period of wetter weather
may take hold next weekend and beyond.
Here's what they're saying now:

Quote:
956 PM MST Wed Nov 29 2017

As for the latter portion of the extended - the early to middle
portion of next week - earlier model guidance had suggested a much
cooler and wetter pattern developing over the western CONUS. Based
on the latest operational GFS and ECMWF runs - not so much. Models
are having a very hard time with the pattern shift and diverge
wildly by next Monday, and GEFS ensemble member spread is much
larger than normal. Confidence in any model solution is low for next
week but current signs suggest that we will be much drier than we
thought earlier, and thus much warmer.
http://forecast.weather.gov/product....n=1&glossary=1

The NWS relies too heavily on computer models, and they're very seldom accurate when it comes to predicting the intensity of storm systems and precipitation chances. All they really have to do is toss a coin, and that would be just as accurate (if not more so) than their so called advanced technology.

Old 11-30-2017, 11:43 AM

61 posts, read 49,181 times
I'm a Bay area native living in southern Oregon. I turn to this forum to feed my fantasy of snow birding in the valley of the sun. Now you're gonna tell me it's cloudy?!
I would gladly trade a few cloudy days for your Winters!

Old 11-30-2017, 11:46 AM

61 posts, read 49,181 times
Oh yes, we have chemtrails here, too.

Old 11-30-2017, 12:45 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,939,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Back on topic, we're on day two of gloom and doom. Havent seen the sun in two days now.
yeah, but 75 degrees, and cloudy is still magnificent come dec 1st..

I know we're
"newbs" out here, but the weather the last 60 days has been incredibly fantastic in our eyes..its like being in heaven when its 75-85 in oct/nov, and it looks like December will come in almost the same way...absolutely zero complaints about the weather here so far, although a few hours of sun would be nice too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area