Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 02:53 PM

872 posts, read 1,001,335 times

Advertisements

Anyone counting the cloudy days? On AVG we get about 65 cloudy days
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2017, 06:01 PM

1,629 posts, read 2,632,590 times
It is odd how a string of a few cloudy days can affect people’s moods. Combined with the early sunsets and some of the leaves turning and falling, it’s really starting to look more like winter outside.

Old 12-01-2017, 05:19 AM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
984 posts, read 1,193,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Who actually believes anything the National Blather Service forecasts? Not even a week ago, their forecast discussions were confident that the unseasonably warm & dry weather would turn cooler & wetter by this coming weekend:
That's probably a testament to the capabilities of something (or someone) local. While I can't speak for all states and cities, when I was in Oklahoma, their forecasts were far more accurate than anything here. I'd wager that Phoenix sets its standards low in hiring meteorologists, and funding for more advanced detection systems probably isn't to the same degree as other cities. But hey, relax and enjoy that beautiful sepia tone in the air as of late due to the lack of rain or wind over the past few months. Do the Phoenix thing and give it a BS name, like "mineral air" or "feel even more like you're in the past".

Regardless of location, if you brush up on mathematics (namely chaos and systems theories) you'd see that weather is extremely difficult to predict with absolute certainty, especially far out (and yes, that would take more of those precious tax dollars to fund, which you can't bear to part with). Even in places where weather is more prone to turn violent, more than a couple days out they can't give a precise forecast, only that if conditions persist they can offer the likeliest outcome.

Old 12-01-2017, 05:38 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,644,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvxhd View Post
That's probably a testament to the capabilities of something (or someone) local. While I can't speak for all states and cities, when I was in Oklahoma, their forecasts were far more accurate than anything here. I'd wager that Phoenix sets its standards low in hiring meteorologists, and funding for more advanced detection systems probably isn't to the same degree as other cities. But hey, relax and enjoy that beautiful sepia tone in the air as of late due to the lack of rain or wind over the past few months. Do the Phoenix thing and give it a BS name, like "mineral air" or "feel even more like you're in the past".

Regardless of location, if you brush up on mathematics (namely chaos and systems theories) you'd see that weather is extremely difficult to predict with absolute certainty, especially far out (and yes, that would take more of those precious tax dollars to fund, which you can't bear to part with). Even in places where weather is more prone to turn violent, more than a couple days out they can't give a precise forecast, only that if conditions persist they can offer the likeliest outcome.
I find the NWS more accurate than any private weather service. TWC and AccuWeather seem to always be off

Old 12-01-2017, 06:06 AM

39,101 posts, read 51,306,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I find the NWS more accurate than any private weather service. TWC and AccuWeather seem to always be off
They all use the same global models which are not always in agreement, especially more than a couple days out. So it is a matter of judgment as to which one wants to favor to what degree. (FWIW the private services were predicting the same pattern change based on the same output that later changed). The Phoenix WSO does as good a job as any.

Old 12-01-2017, 06:10 AM

39,101 posts, read 51,306,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvxhd View Post

Data feeding models is lacking in the west compared to the central and eastern parts of the country. There are a few buoys in the Pacific and weather balloons launched from vessels but compared to the hundreds of sensing stations and balloons over the continent it is scant, at best. There are 10 or more weather radars in proximity to central Oklahoma. There are only 3 in all of Arizona and terrain features limit even those. Furthermore, Mexico to the south does very little in the way of gathering data for models. A model is only as good as its inputs.

Old 12-01-2017, 07:22 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,311,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
It is odd how a string of a few cloudy days can affect people’s moods. Combined with the early sunsets and some of the leaves turning and falling, it’s really starting to look more like winter outside.
I've been here 4 years, but still look out over a cloudy, grey day this time of year and expect it to be cold like it was in the midwest.

But then again, I have been here 4 years...70 feels cold

I do miss the sun after even one day of clouds. Last night outside, though, it felt like a spring evening with the cloud cover

Old 12-01-2017, 09:00 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,977,341 times
We're on the 3rd straight day of clouds. This is starting to suck.

Old 12-01-2017, 09:02 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,977,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
yeah, but 75 degrees, and cloudy is still magnificent come dec 1st..

I know we're
"newbs" out here, but the weather the last 60 days has been incredibly fantastic in our eyes..its like being in heaven when its 75-85 in oct/nov, and it looks like December will come in almost the same way...absolutely zero complaints about the weather here so far, although a few hours of sun would be nice too!
Temps have been nice, for sure, but the gray skies are getting annoying. If its gonna be gray, it might as well rain!

Old 12-01-2017, 09:55 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,620,651 times
"Gray skies...
frowning at me
Nothing but gray skies
Do I see!

Graybirds...
Squawking a song
Nothing but graybirds
All day long!

~ Never see the sun... always so cloudy
Always see me... ever so pouty
Noticing the days, crawling on by
When I'm so down, my how I cry

Gray days
All of them gone
Nothing but gray skies
From now on!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area