Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 11:01 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,303,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
All of this is why people dislike Californians and the overpriced cost of living. Yet, you guys come here like locusts and want to make it like the previous state your lived in prior. Cancerous ideology and mindset that doesn't have a cure.
Well said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2019, 09:58 AM

872 posts, read 1,000,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post
Well said.
I voted for local/state Democrats my whole life and now where I live sucks. I think I will move to a more affordable state with less regulation. I am still a dem and will vote for them when I move

Old 03-21-2019, 10:34 AM

2,560 posts, read 2,303,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnvlv247 View Post
I voted for local/state Democrats my whole life and now where I live sucks. I think I will move to a more affordable state with less regulation. I am still a dem and will vote for them when I move

No such thing as a Democrat controlled state with less regulation that's affordable. Maybe you'll find one where everyone is on welfare.

Old 03-21-2019, 10:40 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,651,119 times
Quote:
No such thing as a Democrat controlled state with less regulation that's affordable. Maybe you'll find one where everyone is on welfare.
^

You can't get anything past these guys.

Old 03-22-2019, 01:26 AM

3,049 posts, read 4,548,895 times
Quote:
"Welfare" as in a publicly-funded pension and Medicare?

...when a social program personally benefits someone, it's not called "welfare", but if it doesn't personally benefit them, it is.

Funny how that works, isn't it?

Getting ready for the redundant "thank you CA for my generous retirement, I had the Early Bird special in Scottsdale" response now...

Old 03-22-2019, 02:32 AM

90 posts, read 69,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
I have no problem with this overall because Phoenix needs to start acting its size. For too many years, we have been this big sprawling area with millions of people, but not much to show for it as far as high paying jobs, culture, or fun things to see & do (besides outdoor stuff). One thing that might be of a concern to many people is the cost of living. We're already seeing the higher prices as far as rentals, car maintenance, groceries, and other things. Another thing we're seeing more of lately is heavier traffic, and the rush hour times seem to be getting longer. Many freeways that used to be congested in one direction are now congested in both directions during peak commute times. But this is the price we pay to live in a large metro area.
As a tech hiring manger, Phoenix is competing with Seattle, Bay Area and Austin for talent. Phoenix's proposition for young, talented engineers just isn't there. There are some Amazon jobs, but what do you do after Amazon? Hiring anyone here with Big Data, Data Science or Software Engineering is a pain in the ass. Phoenix also just doesn't have the big west coast pay, but it's also cheaper.

I don't mind it here TOO MUCH after 2 years, but still find why it would be unappealing to people. The driving is really bad, there is no 'core', it's too hot for a few months of the year. I dearly miss living in an urban core, walking to get lunch with friends, or walking out of work and getting a few beers right down the street.

Old 03-23-2019, 12:26 PM

8,045 posts, read 12,273,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoaz20172 View Post
As a tech hiring manger, Phoenix is competing with Seattle, Bay Area and Austin for talent. Phoenix's proposition for young, talented engineers just isn't there. There are some Amazon jobs, but what do you do after Amazon? Hiring anyone here with Big Data, Data Science or Software Engineering is a pain in the ass. Phoenix also just doesn't have the big west coast pay, but it's also cheaper.

I don't mind it here TOO MUCH after 2 years, but still find why it would be unappealing to people. The driving is really bad, there is no 'core', it's too hot for a few months of the year. I dearly miss living in an urban core, walking to get lunch with friends, or walking out of work and getting a few beers right down the street.
As I've said before, the reason for why the Phoenix area is unappealing to a skilled, talented workforce is our focus. We're one of the largest cities & metro regions in the nation, but we still attract people here who are more interested in the sunny weather, mountain views, a cheaper cost of living, and even retirement ... this hasn't changed much in the last 50 years. Phoenix has urban cores that are thriving more so than they used to be, but the missing piece is a large corporate presence. There are some large firms headquartered here, but they're located in suburban office parks instead of in a centralized location, which forces people to drive and face long commutes in many cases. And since they're not in an urban environment, walking down the street to a bar, club, or restaurant after work is nearly impossible.

Old 03-23-2019, 11:43 PM

628 posts, read 1,437,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Millennials would rather live in Tucson if I took a guess at it. But Tucson doesn't have the economy. Tucson could really be something great if it received some investment. I loved Tucson when I lived there, but my family and career took me back home. Tucson is not only colder, better nature access, older architecture and more liberal, but also *much* more affordable. Tucson is closer to what appeals to Millennials than Phoenix is, but you can't just move somewhere and not have a job.
Millenial here. You're right.

Old 03-24-2019, 11:34 AM

90 posts, read 69,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
As I've said before, the reason for why the Phoenix area is unappealing to a skilled, talented workforce is our focus. We're one of the largest cities & metro regions in the nation, but we still attract people here who are more interested in the sunny weather, mountain views, a cheaper cost of living, and even retirement ... this hasn't changed much in the last 50 years. Phoenix has urban cores that are thriving more so than they used to be, but the missing piece is a large corporate presence. There are some large firms headquartered here, but they're located in suburban office parks instead of in a centralized location, which forces people to drive and face long commutes in many cases. And since they're not in an urban environment, walking down the street to a bar, club, or restaurant after work is nearly impossible.
You're right.

They need to focus on what will attract talent. I really think Phoenix has the ability to get them. Top companies (Lyft, Amazon) are dabbling in the market, and American Express has a huge presence and they're a top 20 admired company this year, it's just figuring out how to centralize it. If you're talented you can still get a great job here living comfortably.

Old 03-24-2019, 10:33 PM

1,292 posts, read 3,477,604 times
Two friends, one from Seattle and one from San Francisco, recently moved to Arizona. Both cited the continuing breakdown of the city due to ill-considered social engineering policies that have made living there increasingly uncomfortable.

My San Francisco friend had his car broken into in broad daylight 5 times. One time, the burglar found nothing inside worth stealing and just defecated all over the seats.

The widely seen documentary on Seattle's homeless problem (which as the documentary notes, is mpore accurately a drug problem), was cited by my Seattle friend as laying out very clearly why Phoenix, for all its heat, has a preferable political climate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpAi70WWBlw
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area