Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 10:53 AM

2,282 posts, read 3,082,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post
I retired as a well off retiree who receives a very generous CA pension (thank you CA residents) and moved to an affluence AZ city and I have met about 20 such folks who are similar to me in the few months I have lived here. I guess you don't get out much.
Yep. There is not only anecdotal evidence of significant domestic migration from California to other states, but there is data evidence, as well. California's own legislative office did a study to measure the effects and found the most out migration to Texas, Arizona, Nevada, and Washington. Nevada drivers license surrender data shows 36% of all out of state drivers license surrenders were from California. UHaul moving data shows primary states from migration from California also to Arizona, Nevada, and Texas. Finally, Redfin has search data on user searching for real estate from other states. For Arizona, 38% of all out of states searches from out of state were from California, with vast majority being from SoCal. In Las Vegas, it was 55% from California with over 40% from SoCal. The only reason California is still growing overall and not losing population is due to international migration, primarily from Asia and Mexico/Latin America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2019, 12:27 PM

9,746 posts, read 11,169,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShampooBanana View Post
Yep. There is not only anecdotal evidence of significant domestic migration from California to other states, but there is data evidence, as well. California's own legislative office did a study to measure the effects and found the most out migration to Texas, Arizona, Nevada, and Washington. Nevada drivers license surrender data shows 36% of all out of state drivers license surrenders were from California. UHaul moving data shows primary states from migration from California also to Arizona, Nevada, and Texas. Finally, Redfin has search data on user searching for real estate from other states. For Arizona, 38% of all out of states searches from out of state were from California, with vast majority being from SoCal. In Las Vegas, it was 55% from California with over 40% from SoCal. The only reason California is still growing overall and not losing population is due to international migration, primarily from Asia and Mexico/Latin America.
When I was driving from LA to PHX, I saw a couple of towns (I forget which ones) where nearly all of the retailers had dual Asian/English languages on their signs. It was near Riverside. I'm talking about hundreds of signs. That supports your data of heavy Asian migration.

I've been looking at moving. I'm shocked at how many CA plated I've observed. Especially in the 55+ new build hoods like Trilogy and Victory (Verrado). Again, my non-scientific perception matched your data. It seems a lot of retirees are cashing out to AZ. In fact, I've had a Southern CA customer of mine ask about Prescott. The bottom line is we are picking up folks from CA big time.

Old 03-12-2019, 12:34 PM

277 posts, read 276,641 times
I would say most of the discussion here can be summed up in one way:

The perception of Phoenix =\= the reality of Phoenix

How many people have come to visit, or recently moved and are shocked that there is actually ....a city here... or that we have.... trees. How many times have you gone to a different city and your hosts treat you like some kind of country bumpkin that can’t manage I. The “big city”.

The city has flown way under the radar for decades and that is good and bad. For those that want the city to really come to premminance it’s frustrating, for many snowbirds or migrants from the crowded east, they are very happy this city doesn’t have a huge rep.

I would argue we are now being pulled kicking and screaming from a little thought of place into a second tier well known city weather the old timers and retirees want it or not. There is now enough decent paying jobs and and concentration that we have really begun to graduate to the next level. Most of the young people I grew up with here (now ~30) are finding little reason to leave as the pay needed to live as we do here in California or New York is just not worth it. And it’s significant enough to attract and hold people from stagnant midwestern cities and those middle class people fleeing the expenses of California.

Our wage and job growth tops the nation in RELATIVE terms only being beaten by much much smaller metros like Boise and Salt lake. Just to compete it means we are adding 2-5x the amount of jobs they are. This shows little signs of stopping anytime soon.

So while we have enjoyed not being in the spotlight for a very very long time, our time backstage is very quickly coming to an end, be prepared to explode into national zeitgeist during the 2020’s boys and girls. It should get very interesting

Old 03-12-2019, 03:56 PM

3,822 posts, read 9,481,369 times
A good analogy I heard a few years ago is that the city of Phoenix was like a gangly teenager trying to figure out what to do. In ten years (now) the city would narrow down what it's good at and begin to focus like an adult. Places like the downtown area historic neighborhoods where I would not have been caught dead in 15 years ago, I lived in happily before I moved out of town last summer. Phoenix actually is starting to feel like a city, not a collection of suburbs and McStucco tract homes.

This is just one tiny sliver of where Phoenix has grown, the rise of decent local breweries. When I moved back to Phoenix 7 years ago after spending a few years in Idaho I lamented the fact I couldn't find any really good breweries. A handful of okay places to go, but no place I could take my friends from out of town to impress them. Now Phoenix has some world class local breweries that get national press for the quality.

Old 03-12-2019, 06:18 PM

9,746 posts, read 11,169,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
A good analogy I heard a few years ago is that the city of Phoenix was like a gangly teenager trying to figure out what to do. In ten years (now) the city would narrow down what it's good at and begin to focus like an adult. Places like the downtown area historic neighborhoods where I would not have been caught dead in 15 years ago, I lived in happily before I moved out of town last summer. Phoenix actually is starting to feel like a city, not a collection of suburbs and McStucco tract homes.

This is just one tiny sliver of where Phoenix has grown, the rise of decent local breweries. When I moved back to Phoenix 7 years ago after spending a few years in Idaho I lamented the fact I couldn't find any really good breweries. A handful of okay places to go, but no place I could take my friends from out of town to impress them. Now Phoenix has some world class local breweries that get national press for the quality.
Actually, they have exploded in popularity all across the country. Just from 2011 to 2017, nationally, craft breweries have grown from 843 to 3412. See https://www.brewersassociation.org/s...-of-breweries/

Old 03-13-2019, 09:54 PM

8 posts, read 9,088 times
Well Phoenix is about to get another Californian as me and my husband (both CA natives) are just DONE with CA. . . you would think we live in a third world here in Riverside county where the city can't even afford to fix the potholes in the streets. . .we have ONE police officer for a city of 38,000 residents. . . crime is treated with a slap on the wrist. ..etc., etc.. . . had to drive home from Ontario airport last night and someone at CALTRANS decided it would be a good idea to shut down the freeway at 10pm and divert traffic for 4 miles and then back on the freeway. . . a normal 1.5 hour trip took us 4 hours to get home! and starting April 1, sales tax is going up to 10.5% in many cities. . . to pay for pensions no less. . . it's not paying for infrastructure or more police to make us safer or education or anything of value. . .it's ALL going to pensions. .. Im telling you, CA is the most mismanaged, fiscally irresponsible state in the union and it just keeps getting worse every time we have an election and people are NOT informed on what they are actually voting for. . . I think it's criminal that you cannot even read and understand the ballot measures because their intent is to deceive the voters. . . hubby and I are both college educated, own a corporation and in any other state would be able to live an upper middle class lifestyle. . . not so in CA. . . so in 2 years we will be heading to AZ. . . all our family already lives there and wonders why it's taken this long for us to move too, LOL

Old 03-13-2019, 09:57 PM

8 posts, read 9,088 times
What did you like/dislike about Idaho? we have considered moving there as well as Phoenix, we have family in both states.

Old 03-14-2019, 01:01 PM

277 posts, read 276,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimi_in_CA View Post
What did you like/dislike about Idaho? we have considered moving there as well as Phoenix, we have family in both states.
Heared food things about Idaho. I think it’s a matter of if you’d like living in a small somewhat conservative and religious city vs a full major metro.

Boise has cooler Weather too

Old 03-14-2019, 02:11 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,303,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimi_in_CA View Post
Well Phoenix is about to get another Californian as me and my husband (both CA natives) are just DONE with CA. . . you would think we live in a third world here in Riverside county where the city can't even afford to fix the potholes in the streets. . .we have ONE police officer for a city of 38,000 residents. . . crime is treated with a slap on the wrist. ..etc., etc.. . . had to drive home from Ontario airport last night and someone at CALTRANS decided it would be a good idea to shut down the freeway at 10pm and divert traffic for 4 miles and then back on the freeway. . . a normal 1.5 hour trip took us 4 hours to get home! and starting April 1, sales tax is going up to 10.5% in many cities. . . to pay for pensions no less. . . it's not paying for infrastructure or more police to make us safer or education or anything of value. . .it's ALL going to pensions. .. Im telling you, CA is the most mismanaged, fiscally irresponsible state in the union and it just keeps getting worse every time we have an election and people are NOT informed on what they are actually voting for. . . I think it's criminal that you cannot even read and understand the ballot measures because their intent is to deceive the voters. . . hubby and I are both college educated, own a corporation and in any other state would be able to live an upper middle class lifestyle. . . not so in CA. . . so in 2 years we will be heading to AZ. . . all our family already lives there and wonders why it's taken this long for us to move too, LOL
Welcome to AZ! I made the move after 35 years in CA. Absolutely no regrets! Sure, I miss some friends, but it's a manageable flight or drive. No worries!

Old 03-14-2019, 02:21 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,585,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post

Welcome to AZ! I made the move after 35 years in CA. Absolutely no regrets! Sure, I miss some friends, but it's a manageable flight or drive. No worries!
Aren't you leaving out your retirement stint in South Dakota which you first moved to in retirement after leaving California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area