Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2019, 11:47 PM

1,286 posts, read 1,480,235 times

Advertisements

I am a millennial and would absolutely love to move to phoenix metro. The only thing holding me back is I wold take a $10/hr pay cut from my current position, and I'm not sure I want to give that up. Phoenix has a lot of appeal to me though. I love visiting there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2019, 05:17 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,152,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post
Have fun there. LOL. Go, settle down and then report back. Of course, if you are forced to live on 2000 a month you will go and pretend to like it. But you won't be living a Western lifestyle.
Now now Burkmere. One of our very own posters lives in Thailand and resembles that.

In all seriousness, a guy I know went to Equator to retire. For months before his departure he continuously told everyone how he was going to "loved it"! When he got there, he was quick to interject how cheap he got his teeth fixed, the cost of rent bla bla bla. Not so mysteriously, his arse is back home in the freezing cold. He made it a grand total of 2 years. But he claims he wants to go back.

Last edited by MN-Born-n-Raised; 03-01-2019 at 05:48 AM..

Old 03-01-2019, 05:23 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,152,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Mike View Post
Not just Millennials, either. The high prices in California are pushing the middle class out to Arizona and Texas:

https://www.kron4.com/news/bay-area/...way/1816113521
Agreed. I've been looking at homes and have been bumping into a lot of Californians when I engage in some small talk. In 2017, the Census Bureau figured 60,000 moved from CA to AZ https://www.kgun9.com/news/local-new...sus-data-shows

I'm not sure what is happening to the values in Tucson. But there might be some deals remaining in that area.

Old 03-01-2019, 07:26 AM

61 posts, read 48,880 times
I haven't been to Tucson for many years, so I can't speak to its charms. When it comes to professional sports franchises, PGA tour events, Barrett-Jackson car show, extensive spring training offerings, the Phoenix Metro has Tucson (as well as Vegas and Abq) trumped, and offers more of the Big City Experience, for those who like that in a City.

Old 03-01-2019, 07:37 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,470,404 times
One thing about Phoenix that I loved when I was still in corporate sales is I was technically employed by our office in southern California but based in Arizona. I got the southern California pay differential from our office back east, but lived in Phoenix. It's happened to me a few times, get paid like I live in California with the Phoenix cost of living. Only minor downside was flying either to LA or the Bay area once a month or once a quarter for staff meetings.

Old 03-01-2019, 09:01 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,660,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
At this rate, most of the US is becoming unaffordable. Time to move to a developing 3rd world country, like Thailand, Philippines, Cambodia where your money will go much further.
...and then deal with Third World health care and legal systems. Have fun...

Old 03-01-2019, 09:24 AM

2,560 posts, read 2,300,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Now now Burkmere. One of our very own posters lives in Thailand and resembles that.

In all seriousness, a guy I know went to Equator to retire. For months before his departure he continuously told everyone how he was going to "loved it"! When he got there, he was quick to interject how cheap he got his teeth fixed, the cost of rent bla bla bla. Not so mysteriously, his arse is back home in the freezing cold. He made it a grand total of 2 years. But he claims he wants to go back.
I have spent a considerable amount of time in those places on vacation and have friends that live there full-time. If you want to live on noodles and live in a country where noone really care about you and have a high probability of turning into an alcoholic from lack of real connection and boredom then those places are great. And have fun with the medical and legal systems and if you have a real medical problem you'll have to come back to the USA to deal with it anyway, etc. because of insurance issues. Just a heads up for those considering it.

Sure, there are exceptions, but if you want to live any semblance of a Western lifestyle, it's still going to cost you some. You aren't gonna do it for 2k a month generally unless you want to live in some far flung place with little of the amenities you are used to,...not to mention no real emotional connection with those around you...and a very different way of looking at life than one is used to. It might be novel at first, but after a couple of years more likely than not, reality will hit. By that time many have no money to come back to the USA are have become alcoholics by then. And, as I said, I know there are exceptions.

Old 03-01-2019, 10:18 AM

2,274 posts, read 3,073,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post
I have spent a considerable amount of time in those places on vacation and have friends that live there full-time. If you want to live on noodles and live in a country where noone really care about you and have a high probability of turning into an alcoholic from lack of real connection and boredom then those places are great. And have fun with the medical and legal systems and if you have a real medical problem you'll have to come back to the USA to deal with it anyway, etc. because of insurance issues. Just a heads up for those considering it.

Sure, there are exceptions, but if you want to live any semblance of a Western lifestyle, it's still going to cost you some. You aren't gonna do it for 2k a month generally unless you want to live in some far flung place with little of the amenities you are used to,...not to mention no real emotional connection with those around you...and a very different way of looking at life than one is used to. It might be novel at first, but after a couple of years more likely than not, reality will hit. By that time many have no money to come back to the USA are have become alcoholics by then. And, as I said, I know there are exceptions.
This is why ex-pat communities exist. There are sizable ones in certain places in the Philippines, Thailand (Chiang Mai), Costa Rica, Panama, and more. That makes it a lot more bearable when you have like-minded people with a similar background as yourself adapting to life in a new country. This is why ethnic enclaves in the US exist as well (Chinatowns, Little Italy, etc). I have several friends and family that have lived in various places around the world, including places many would consider "third world" and they loved it. Some have remained permanently and have been there for decades. Agree it does take the right mindset and willingness to adapt and become open-minded to some (but not necessarily all) non-Western ways of doing things.

Old 03-01-2019, 11:21 AM

872 posts, read 998,915 times
The Phx metro is awesome if you are in your 30s. Scottsdale and central/downtown phx is the place to be. Any other age range is out in Gilbert, Goodyear and NW valley it seems.

https://censusreporter.org/profiles/...00-phoenix-az/

Old 03-01-2019, 12:29 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,300,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShampooBanana View Post
This is why ex-pat communities exist. There are sizable ones in certain places in the Philippines, Thailand (Chiang Mai), Costa Rica, Panama, and more. That makes it a lot more bearable when you have like-minded people with a similar background as yourself adapting to life in a new country. This is why ethnic enclaves in the US exist as well (Chinatowns, Little Italy, etc). I have several friends and family that have lived in various places around the world, including places many would consider "third world" and they loved it. Some have remained permanently and have been there for decades. Agree it does take the right mindset and willingness to adapt and become open-minded to some (but not necessarily all) non-Western ways of doing things.
True, it can work under certain circumstances if you have the emotional support, right mindset, and financial means you are comfortable with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area