Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2019, 01:13 PM

2,274 posts, read 3,073,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The younger average age is a result of larger families of the million or so illegal immigrants who call the Phoenix area home rather than Phoenix being a magnet for young people from other areas.
A million illegal immigrants? Are you serious? More than 1 in 5 people that live in the metro area? Got any reputable numbers to back that up? I'd be genuinely surprised if it's even 1/10th that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2019, 08:15 PM

2,806 posts, read 3,175,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
I am an older Millennial and I started my career in Phoenix last decade. It was a mistake. Phoenix isn't a great place to develop a career, unless you are in the medical field, which services a lot of the retirees. The biggest problem with Phoenix is that Phoenix wasn't much of anything prior to the advent of air conditioning 65-70 years ago. As a result, there are few legacy companies such as the Procter & Gamble types with HQs in Phoenix. The Dial Corporation, later purchased by Henkel, even left Metro Phoenix within the last few years, after Dial relocated there from Chicago in the 1970s. There just wasn't a big population in the past and corporate relocations never kept pace with population growth in Metro Phoenix. Phoenix also never did much with being the incubator for newer technology companies since the 1990s. There was a reason that the FAANG companies don't have their HQs in Phoenix.

I would agree that Phoenix is major league when the comparisons are Albuquerque and Tucson. However, Albuquerque and Tucson realize that they are not big league whereas Phoenix tries to compete with the big league cities and does not compare favorably. This is why I eventually left Phoenix because I needed a true big league city for my own career development.
It all depends on your life's goals. For us it was as important as my career to be able to have children and for my wife to stay home with them. This is possible in Phoenix and that's different from most other tier one cities (with exceptions). When you think about it this is probably also the millenial crowd we're attracting here - the ones who want to have a stable family life and children. Maybe not so much the extreme career types. These may be more attracted to coastal California.

Old 03-10-2019, 08:16 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,953,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potential_Landlord View Post
It all depends on your life's goals. For us it was as important as my career to be able to have children and for my wife to stay home with them. This is possible in Phoenix and that's different from most other tier one cities (with exceptions). When you think about it this is probably also the millenial crowd we're attracting here - the ones who want to have a stable family life and children. Maybe not so much the extreme career types. These may be more attracted to coastal California.
In my profession, the median wage is the same in San Diego as it is here. Here it’s an upper middle class life. There? Dumpy apartment by the freeway.

I love San Diego, but I wasn’t born into the circumstances that would allow me to live there comfortably, even as a white collar professional.

Old 03-11-2019, 03:19 AM

7,702 posts, read 5,446,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Mike View Post
Not just Millennials, either. The high prices in California are pushing the middle class out to Arizona and Texas:

https://www.kron4.com/news/bay-area/...way/1816113521
From your article: "Joint Venture Silicon Valley found that slightly more people are moving out than moving in."

"Slightly more" is not exactly an exodus.

No one I know personally has moved to Texas or Arizona, though a City-Data poster, fluffythewondercat, did buy a house in Arizona in November.

Nearly everyone I know has stayed not only in California, but the SF Bay Area, and the two who did leave just moved further north due to the SF Bay Area cost of living (retirees).

I have a few friends who moved out of state, though they all moved to cooler climates.

Old 03-11-2019, 07:08 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,953,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
From your article: "Joint Venture Silicon Valley found that slightly more people are moving out than moving in."

No one I know personally has moved to Texas or Arizona, though a City-Data poster, fluffythewondercat, did buy a house in Arizona in November.

Nearly everyone I know has stayed not only in California, but the SF Bay Area, and the two who did leave just moved further north due to the SF Bay Area cost of living (retirees).

I have a few friends who moved out of state, though they all moved to cooler climates.
Most of our CA expats are from Southern California.

Old 03-11-2019, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
In my profession, the median wage is the same in San Diego as it is here. Here it’s an upper middle class life. There? Dumpy apartment by the freeway.

I love San Diego, but I wasn’t born into the circumstances that would allow me to live there comfortably, even as a white collar professional.
If I had the same lifestyle in Southern California as I have here, I would move in an instance. But that would mean same commute time, house/lot, income after housing, taxes, ability to send kids to private school if public schools are too crappy etc. I have no idea what my income would have to be for this, probably higher by magnitudes. Not realistic.

Old 03-11-2019, 10:44 AM

Quote:

That's like Mark Zuckerberg saying "none of the CEOs I know move from California". The people moving out from California are middle class squeezed out by high cost of living and inability to mitigate the utopian liberal policies. The people staying in California are the rich and welfare. The rich can pay their way around the liberal utopia (sending kids to private school once the illegal immigrant kids show up in their school district, buy additional EVs to use the HOV lanes and avoid high gas taxes/costs, pay people to occupy parking spots for more privacy, ...). The people on generous welfare live quite well too. Edit: forgot to mention- pay 30c per kWh for utopian energy ideas. Unless you're on welfare then it's free. Pay Arizona money to take your sudden power spikes from wind/solar that nobody needs.

Last edited by Potential_Landlord; 03-11-2019 at 11:17 AM..

Old 03-11-2019, 10:47 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,947,351 times
Quote:
I love it here. I was on my way down Cactus towards Taliesin West late yesterday afternoon when I saw a group of three coyotes on the sidewalk. Beautiful creatures.

Quote:

Since you are comfortable in the Bay Area, it makes sense your cohort would consist of similarly-minded people. I was shunned by our friend group for daring to question the veracity of Michael Moore as a truth-teller and announcing six years ago I'd be moving to Arizona.

Old 03-11-2019, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Since you are comfortable in the Bay Area, it makes sense your cohort would consist of similarly-minded people. I was shunned by our friend group for daring to question the veracity of Michael Moore as a truth-teller and announcing six years ago I'd be moving to Arizona.
Your experience is close to Professor Dershowitz who was shunned by the Martha's Vineyard liberals after he questioned the legality of impeachment for President Trump. So much for basic tolerance.

You're in good company. California leads the whole nation for outmigration and more than half of Californians say they will leave the state upon further escalation of utopian liberal policies.

https://freebeacon.com/issues/more-t...-outmigration/

Old 03-11-2019, 12:18 PM

113 posts, read 103,411 times
I just wanted to throw my two cents into this conversation, because people who don't live here or haven't lived here don't understand that the Phoenix area really isn't all that appealing and I wish I have never moved here. But there is nothing I can do about it, I made my bed and now I must pay in it. If you don't have a career or college degrees, living here is going to be very difficult because cost of living has gone up a lot since I moved here 5 years ago! I mean, I work in retail and my apartment complex doesn't want to renew our lease and we can't afford more than $ 800 maybe a little over... And I called this company that specializes in helping people like me, and the guy told me "that budget is not realistic for a 2 bedroom apartment in the Phoenix area, for a 2 bedroom apartment realistically it will cost you $850 to $900" and he didn't want to waste my time so he didn't even bother to help me!! And I can't find anything anywhere here. So if you're someone like me, then I suggest you do not move here which is part of the problem with the cost of living going up as well as increasing the minimum wages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area