Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 05:28 PM

2,282 posts, read 3,083,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
I would say most of the discussion here can be summed up in one way:

The perception of Phoenix =\= the reality of Phoenix

How many people have come to visit, or recently moved and are shocked that there is actually ....a city here... or that we have.... trees. How many times have you gone to a different city and your hosts treat you like some kind of country bumpkin that can’t manage I. The “big city”.

The city has flown way under the radar for decades and that is good and bad. For those that want the city to really come to premminance it’s frustrating, for many snowbirds or migrants from the crowded east, they are very happy this city doesn’t have a huge rep.

I would argue we are now being pulled kicking and screaming from a little thought of place into a second tier well known city weather the old timers and retirees want it or not. There is now enough decent paying jobs and and concentration that we have really begun to graduate to the next level. Most of the young people I grew up with here (now ~30) are finding little reason to leave as the pay needed to live as we do here in California or New York is just not worth it. And it’s significant enough to attract and hold people from stagnant midwestern cities and those middle class people fleeing the expenses of California.

Our wage and job growth tops the nation in RELATIVE terms only being beaten by much much smaller metros like Boise and Salt lake. Just to compete it means we are adding 2-5x the amount of jobs they are. This shows little signs of stopping anytime soon.

So while we have enjoyed not being in the spotlight for a very very long time, our time backstage is very quickly coming to an end, be prepared to explode into national zeitgeist during the 2020’s boys and girls. It should get very interesting
I very much agree with pretty much all of this. Get ready for some change, folks, because it's coming whether you like it or not!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2019, 09:06 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,303,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Aren't you leaving out your retirement stint in South Dakota which you first moved to in retirement after leaving California.
Was there for a short period of time after CA, yes. My comment about 35 years in CA before AZ still applies. Notice I didn't move back to CA. No interest.

Did you want to know what I had for dinner tonight? A fish taco and a shredded beef taco along with chips and salsa and i had the happy hour margarita which I was there a minute ahead of time for but she didn't wait on me until two minutes after happy hour was over but still let me have the happy hour prices.

Old 03-17-2019, 11:24 AM

8,045 posts, read 12,273,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShampooBanana View Post
I very much agree with pretty much all of this. Get ready for some change, folks, because it's coming whether you like it or not!
I have no problem with this overall because Phoenix needs to start acting its size. For too many years, we have been this big sprawling area with millions of people, but not much to show for it as far as high paying jobs, culture, or fun things to see & do (besides outdoor stuff). One thing that might be of a concern to many people is the cost of living. We're already seeing the higher prices as far as rentals, car maintenance, groceries, and other things. Another thing we're seeing more of lately is heavier traffic, and the rush hour times seem to be getting longer. Many freeways that used to be congested in one direction are now congested in both directions during peak commute times. But this is the price we pay to live in a large metro area.

Old 03-19-2019, 12:12 PM

202 posts, read 220,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
I have no problem with this overall because Phoenix needs to start acting its size. For too many years, we have been this big sprawling area with millions of people, but not much to show for it as far as high paying jobs, culture, or fun things to see & do (besides outdoor stuff). One thing that might be of a concern to many people is the cost of living. We're already seeing the higher prices as far as rentals, car maintenance, groceries, and other things. Another thing we're seeing more of lately is heavier traffic, and the rush hour times seem to be getting longer. Many freeways that used to be congested in one direction are now congested in both directions during peak commute times. But this is the price we pay to live in a large metro area.
That's the price we pay, but I'm see very little benefits that those other large metro areas have.

Old 03-19-2019, 01:25 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,548,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomasaz View Post
That's the price we pay, but I'm see very little benefits that those other large metro areas have.
Since you have people from Phoenix who apparently love to come to the L.A. forum and bash/taunt us so much, let me offer a simple explanation as to why Phoenix will never have what other metro areas have:

1. The people you attract -- which are mostly:
a.) Conservative Midwesterners who can't afford to go further west to California
b.) Conservative Californians who couldn't afford the suburbs of California for a variety of reasons, and
who want to replicate the "Stepford" vibe from the California suburbs they once lived in.

It's no secret that Arizona is a magnet for conservatives and right-wingers, many of them unfamiliar with the history of the Southwest, who are oppressive towards minorities and people who think differently.

Your legislature put a huge blot on your state's image by passing laws against Hispanic people, against LGBT people, against educators, and against immigrants and against multicultural instruction in schools -- all of which are the very people/very things who make cities and metro areas lively and vibrant.

Look at Miami, San Francisco, Seattle, New York, Boston, etc.

Old 03-19-2019, 01:57 PM

427 posts, read 368,356 times
Quote:
Your legislature put a huge blot on your state's image by passing laws against Hispanic people, against LGBT people, against educators, and against immigrants and against multicultural instruction in schools -- all of which are the very people/very things who make cities and metro areas lively and vibrant.
Pft. Stay away!

Old 03-19-2019, 02:51 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,303,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
Since you have people from Phoenix who apparently love to come to the L.A. forum and bash/taunt us so much, let me offer a simple explanation as to why Phoenix will never have what other metro areas have:

a.) Conservative Midwesterners who can't afford to go further west to California
b.) Conservative Californians who couldn't afford the suburbs of California for a variety of reasons, and
who want to replicate the "Stepford" vibe from the California suburbs they once lived in.

It's no secret that Arizona is a magnet for conservatives and right-wingers, many of them unfamiliar with the history of the Southwest, who are oppressive towards minorities and people who think differently.

Wrong. I have met many, many people who could live anywhere in the world, who live here, including me.

I haven't met one single person yet who moved here from somewhere else (mostly CA) who regrets their decision. Not one.

I have met tons of people from CA (many who could stay if they want) who want to leave.

Again, thanks for funding my pension and for lunch. Fabulous lunch here: What a dump!!!! Typical of this rotten state of AZ and my community which has 50% more income and 50% more college graduates than Studio City, where you live.

https://www.hyatt.com/en-US/hotel/ar..._seo_nam_scott

Old 03-19-2019, 04:14 PM

2,282 posts, read 3,083,525 times
Quote:

Interesting given that Arizona is more blue now than it's ever been and has recently been voting more as such.

Old 03-19-2019, 04:17 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,619,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post
Wrong. I have met many, many people who could live anywhere in the world, who live here, including me.

I haven't met one single person yet who moved here from somewhere else (mostly CA) who regrets their decision. Not one.

I have met tons of people from CA (many who could stay if they want) who want to leave.

Again, thanks for funding my pension and for lunch. Fabulous lunch here: What a dump!!!! Typical of this rotten state of AZ and my community which has 50% more income and 50% more college graduates than Studio City, where you live.

https://www.hyatt.com/en-US/hotel/ar..._seo_nam_scott
I used to work with a guy who was from San Diego, he was dragged here against his will (so to speak) by his family and wanted to go back, don't know if he has, haven't talked to him in a few years.

I also went to school with a guy from Roland Heights (San Gabriel Valley) who lived here a couple years, then moved back

Old 03-19-2019, 04:18 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,638,553 times
Quote:

All of this is why people dislike Californians and the overpriced cost of living. Yet, you guys come here like locusts and want to make it like the previous state your lived in prior. Cancerous ideology and mindset that doesn't have a cure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area