Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2019, 08:49 AM

1,292 posts, read 3,476,621 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2019, 06:00 PM

202 posts, read 220,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
Since you have people from Phoenix who apparently love to come to the L.A. forum and bash/taunt us so much, let me offer a simple explanation as to why Phoenix will never have what other metro areas have:

1. The people you attract -- which are mostly:
a.) Conservative Midwesterners who can't afford to go further west to California
b.) Conservative Californians who couldn't afford the suburbs of California for a variety of reasons, and
who want to replicate the "Stepford" vibe from the California suburbs they once lived in.

It's no secret that Arizona is a magnet for conservatives and right-wingers, many of them unfamiliar with the history of the Southwest, who are oppressive towards minorities and people who think differently.

Your legislature put a huge blot on your state's image by passing laws against Hispanic people, against LGBT people, against educators, and against immigrants and against multicultural instruction in schools -- all of which are the very people/very things who make cities and metro areas lively and vibrant.

Look at Miami, San Francisco, Seattle, New York, Boston, etc.
I don't understand people like you. You generalize everyone in Phoenix as people who support the culture that is the status quo here and want to preserve conservative values. That is not true at all. All of the things you mentioned are things I have criticized about Phoenix on this forum if you spent anytime on the Phoenix forum, which I'm assuming you haven't done much outside of being an occasional troll. The dismissive tone and arrogance is not welcome friendo. I find it very sad that you are here on this forum trying to enact "vengeance" against people who are bashing/taunting your fellow L.A. forum visitors, instead of enjoying the lively and vibrant culture you seem so proud of.

Old 04-04-2019, 03:45 AM

7,709 posts, read 5,460,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I love it here. I was on my way down Cactus towards Taliesin West late yesterday afternoon when I saw a group of three coyotes on the sidewalk. Beautiful creatures.
From photos I have seen of sunsets in parts of Arizona, including Paradise Valley and Scottsdale, your new area does look very beautiful. I would love to have a view like that to enjoy each and every day. The desert landscape is even starting to grow on me, though I do love greenery.

My comments regarding my personal friends/family/colleagues who have moved to other states emphasized that they moved to cooler climates. For many of us who have lived here most of our lives, the moderate climate of our San Francisco Bay Area Area is hard to give up. I don't know if we could do it full time, so I am going to try a few places part time first. I have found that I have become much more temperature-sensitive in recent years to both the cold and the heat.

You may be surprised to learn that I have been looking at properties in other places, including Paradise Valley and Scottsdale. I want an artistic community like we have now, but Sedona's altitude is too high. I want to try to keep to a pleasant climate to the extent possible, not too hot and not too cold. I don't know if I will be able to endure AZ heat, and not sure I want to deal with a private pool.

That may rule out Arizona full-time, but I won't know until we spend some time there. I haven't been to Arizona in many years, and then I spent all my brief time there performing at the UofA in Tucson. The campus was green and pretty.

About the coyotes: A close, older family member of mine and spouse moved to a multi-acre parcel in Bermuda Dunes in hopes that the dry climate would help with asthma (unfortunately, it got worse), and within the first month, their cat was killed by a coyote, so please be careful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area