Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2019, 08:30 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,300,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
Maybe I'm missing something but I don't think we even had one 90 degree day this past October, and I remember pleasant weather in parts of June as well. Late June, July and August and maybe early September I'll give you though, it sucks here. But that's 12-13 weeks out of 52. I spent 3 of those weeks out of town like many residents. The other 39-40 weeks are beautiful IMO, and I'm outside every day in it.
He's wrong as I posted the averages below according to the US weather service. He obviously hates it here or hates his life or both. LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2019, 05:17 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,152,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewWaveDad View Post
But basically 5 months of oppressive heat, that's only going to get worse, will always keep Phoenix prices lower.
I'd say it is 3.5 to 4 months of oppressive heat from mid June (on average) to late Sept. I know because that's when I leave.

OF COURSE the heat keeps pricing lower. Hurricanes and bugs keep FL prices lower too. Freezing winters keep MT, WI, MN, and MI cheaper. Butt arse ugly landscape and the cold keeps people away from most of the Dakota's. Humid air keeps people away in TN, AL, LA, etc as well. When you get ideal weather, the ocean, mountains, culture, etc, it's called LA. Then the problem is too many people are in the area which makes it atrociously expensive. And as a bonus, horrific traffic. So by definition, there is no perfect place to live. Even where you decided to now reside.

Re: 4 hours away from another populous city. I guess everyone has their hot buttons. That might be number 400 on my list of importance of where I live. It's in the same range of importance to better independent coffee shops (too damn many Starbucks here) and scorpions (that I only see when they are dead or I look for them with a blacklight).

As others have said, I jump on a plane and ubber to wherever I want to go. I do the same to get out of MN. Therefore, I predict "4 hours to be in another big city" is literally a non-factor regarding the price of RE here in PHX area.

Old 03-04-2019, 05:29 AM

30,355 posts, read 19,128,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
I thought Phoenix would be more of a retirement place with retirees trying to get away from the cold. Base on City-Data posts, it seems like ABQ is more of a young people city.
The average age in Phoenix is 3 years younger than the average age in New York City, Phoenix is a great city for young people.

There are retirement areas in Arizona including some areas in the Phoenix metro but Arizona is equally a draw for young families as a place they can afford to buy a decent house.

Old 03-04-2019, 07:47 AM

2,560 posts, read 2,300,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
I'd say it is 3.5 to 4 months of oppressive heat from mid June (on average) to late Sept. I know because that's when I leave.

OF COURSE the heat keeps pricing lower. Hurricanes and bugs keep FL prices lower too. Freezing winters keep MT, WI, MN, and MI cheaper. Butt arse ugly landscape and the cold keeps people away from most of the Dakota's. Humid air keeps people away in TN, AL, LA, etc as well. When you get ideal weather, the ocean, mountains, culture, etc, it's called LA. Then the problem is too many people are in the area which makes it atrociously expensive. And as a bonus, horrific traffic. So by definition, there is no perfect place to live. Even where you decided to now reside.

Re: 4 hours away from another populous city. I guess everyone has their hot buttons. That might be number 400 on my list of importance of where I live. It's in the same range of importance to better independent coffee shops (too damn many Starbucks here) and scorpions (that I only see when they are dead or I look for them with a blacklight).

As others have said, I jump on a plane and ubber to wherever I want to go. I do the same to get out of MN. Therefore, I predict "4 hours to be in another big city" is literally a non-factor regarding the price of RE here in PHX area.
Yep, avg high according to the official records reaches 100 June 1 and ends Sept 15. Not to say it isn't hot on average before and after. It gets down to there's no perfect place and people's definition of perfect are different and even an individual's preference can change over time and you can get bored with "perfect" weather...whatever that is.

Old 03-04-2019, 12:14 PM

9,741 posts, read 11,152,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post
Yep, avg high according to the official records reaches 100 June 1 and ends Sept 15. Not to say it isn't hot on average before and after. It gets down to there's no perfect place and people's definition of perfect are different and even an individual's preference can change over time and you can get bored with "perfect" weather...whatever that is.
The duration is what wears people out. It's like holding a 40 pound item. It's light at 1st. As time marches on, it feels heavier and heavier. Same with the weather, while 100 and low humidity feels like 87 in the Midwest, it feels hotter in Sept because people are worn out.

It's no different in the Midwest and with the cold and snow. About now, people are getting grumpy and downright upset with more cold and snow. After a while, people simply need a new set of problems. NewWaveDad lived here for a couple of decades. Wherever he lands, he will probably will be hating it in 20-30 years.

for whatever reason, people love to apply what is important to them onto others. As if we all think alike. Trade-offs, trade-offs, trade-offs.

Old 03-04-2019, 02:14 PM

1,629 posts, read 2,627,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewWaveDad View Post
Phoenix will always have one big problem: Summer Heat. Over 100 degrees every day from late May through mid October. I mean... it's brutal. All the other cities have variations in temperature, or 3-month cycles. But basically 5 months of oppressive heat, that's only going to get worse, will always keep Phoenix prices lower.

Phoenix is also an island. You have no major cities for at least a 6 hour drive, 5 hours to Vegas. Many other places, especially on the East Coast in the a 4 hour radius you have plenty of other options. Phoenix has it's advantages, no doubt, but that heat is brutal.
Your assertion about Phoenix being an island is really no different than any other major western metro. Denver is 13 hours to Phoenix or SLC, San Francisco is 6 hours to LA, Portland is 3 hours to Seattle.

The drive to Vegas is not five hours, unless you’re driving well under the speed limit. From Goodyear, it can take just under 4 hours. San Diego is barely a five hour drive. LA is a little over 5 hours.

Old 03-04-2019, 02:55 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
Maybe I'm missing something but I don't think we even had one 90 degree day this past October, and I remember pleasant weather in parts of June as well. Late June, July and August and maybe early September I'll give you though, it sucks here. But that's 12-13 weeks out of 52. I spent 3 of those weeks out of town like many residents. The other 39-40 weeks are beautiful IMO, and I'm outside every day in it.
We had 2 days in the 90s (20th and 28th)

Old 03-04-2019, 05:03 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,273,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
We had 2 days in the 90s (20th and 28th)
2 out of 31 isn't bad it's even cooler in Chandler which is the weather I always check because I'm always in it with the kids at baseball/football practice and games. The weather out in the grass in the afternoons in October was beautiful.

Old 03-04-2019, 06:46 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,043,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
I thought Phoenix would be more of a retirement place with retirees trying to get away from the cold. Base on City-Data posts, it seems like ABQ is more of a young people city.
Oh, you're joking, right? Albuquerque has nowhere the opportunities and amenities that metro Phoenix has. Sadly, it's a relatively small metro with a bad crime problem and a sluggish economy. I like its climate though.

Old 03-04-2019, 08:08 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,254,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
Oh, you're joking, right? Albuquerque has nowhere the opportunities and amenities that metro Phoenix has. Sadly, it's a relatively small metro with a bad crime problem and a sluggish economy. I like its climate though.
Unfortunately, that seems to be the attitude of many who haven't been here, or have no idea what Phoenix is actually like. They think of Phoenix as a mid sized desert resort town where people just lay in the sun, or retire. Maybe it was somewhat that way 50 years ago, but this place is also 4 times the size it was back then. A lot has changed. Albuquerque has also experienced growth, but not anything like the Phoenix area. It's more on the lines of Tucson as far as size and amenities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area