Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 09:48 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,290,797 times

Advertisements

Everyone is different, of course, but I vote pool. I am in mine every weekend and many days after work during the week as well, April-October. It is the reason i bought the house!

I was doing some maintenance on mine yesterday and the water temp was 66. Ten more degrees and I can get in on a float as long as the sun is nice and hot! (76 is still chilly but on a float I can manage) I'm ready!

I love being in the water but it has spoiled me from ever wanting to use a public pool at a resort or whatever.

Old 03-18-2019, 01:43 PM

843 posts, read 564,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Better to find a house with a pool than to build one. The cost of the pool is almost never reflected in the appraised value of the home.
I don't agree that a pool doesn't add value, that doesn't make sense to me. We just bought a house with a pool a year ago. Now when I check Realtor.com I've seen several listings of our exact model house for sale (must've been popular), and it's about a $30k premium.

I do agree that it's probably a better deal to get a house with an existing pool. It's like any other feature in a house. It adds value if it's desirable and well-maintained.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2019, 02:15 PM

121 posts, read 116,879 times
We had our pool built in Oct and while most will say it wont add value and buy a home with a pool we were unable to find homes we liked with an existing pool so we focused on a home we loved with enough yard and had our own built. while we may not get our return on investment if we sold anytime soon I love the fact that it was our design, we wont have any undisclosed issues from a previous owner, we have warranties on the whole pool for a few years and it may seem irrelevant but I know exactly where all the plumbing,drains and underground work is located in the yard if I ever want to dig or plant things. we plan on getting a lot of use out of ours this summer and already used it a few times so far since install the was complete

Old 03-18-2019, 02:41 PM

566 posts, read 573,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KO Stradivarius View Post
I don't agree that a pool doesn't add value, that doesn't make sense to me. We just bought a house with a pool a year ago. Now when I check Realtor.com I've seen several listings of our exact model house for sale (must've been popular), and it's about a $30k premium.

I do agree that it's probably a better deal to get a house with an existing pool. It's like any other feature in a house. It adds value if it's desirable and well-maintained.

My understanding is that about 50% of the cost of the pool will add to the value of the home, so while it adds value it doesn't get the best return on investment. We wanted a pool and wouldn't consider homes without one for that reason.

Old 03-18-2019, 10:37 PM

494 posts, read 501,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac58 View Post
We've heard from the folks with the pools in backyard, small or otherwise. What about folks in multi-residential settings or HOAs with community pools? Do they use the pool(s)? Or is the communal setting, distance from home, or "condition" of the pool enough to discourage regular use?
Can one get the Arizona pool lifestyle in a condo setting?
Why would anyone want to take a bath with all the kids in the neighborhood ? Public pools are gross. Kids pee in them, parents put their toddlers in diapers, allow them to crap their pants in the pool and then get mad when theyre criticized. No thanks.

Old 03-18-2019, 11:29 PM

94 posts, read 148,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick85395 View Post
Why would anyone want to take a bath with all the kids in the neighborhood ? Public pools are gross. Kids pee in them, parents put their toddlers in diapers, allow them to crap their pants in the pool and then get mad when theyre criticized. No thanks.
Baths are not chlorinated. Properly maintained pools are. Big difference.

Old 03-19-2019, 09:34 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
It depends on the hood you are looking at, the time frame, and how much you spend. Years ago, you would get a fraction of the cost out. But now, it scales in some areas. In the areas we are looking at, a decent pool has about a $30K-$40K premium. I suspect they are $50K pools new today.

In our current home if we had a pool, it would fetch an additional $30K. That's cheaper than buying a new one. But back in 2005 when the past owner built, that's about what they cost.

Good to hear if it's changing somewhat at least in some areas, but if I were thinking about putting one in, I'd be checking to see what was happening in the area where the home is to see if any of that "scaling" is happening, and factor that into any decsion.

Old 03-19-2019, 09:40 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KO Stradivarius View Post

I did not say it did not add value (for buyers who want a pool) Apparently it's changing in some areas (yours included), according to another response to my post, but for a long time, and I'll bet still in some areas, appraisers tacked on only a fraction of the cost to build to the appraised value of the house. I'd be doing some research about the effect of pools on appraised values in the area in question before I put in a pool.

Old 03-19-2019, 10:03 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,641,113 times
I've seen a change over the last few years where houses with pools do now seem to command a premium and also seem to sell faster. This is purely anecdotal and is perhaps more true in the historic districts that I've been keeping an eye on, where pools seem to be less common.

Old 03-19-2019, 12:06 PM

306 posts, read 335,930 times
In Yuma, pool homes command a higher price. I'd say $20k at least. I think in other areas of the country, like MI where I came from, pools are not as desired and therefore don't add as much or any value. The short season vs. maintenance, insurance, risk to small children etc. makes pools less appealing elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area