Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 02:05 PM

163 posts, read 207,080 times

Advertisements

I definitely vote POOL. I've always had pools and I'm from the northeast where we had a short season. I would not say to just get it for your kids or to increase the value of your home though. Only get one IF you like pools yourself and will use it. I think it's pretty much a requirement here in the summer, at least for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2019, 03:08 PM

9,746 posts, read 11,169,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Good to hear if it's changing somewhat at least in some areas, but if I were thinking about putting one in, I'd be checking to see what was happening in the area where the home is to see if any of that "scaling" is happening, and factor that into any decsion.
Look at it this way. It's a liability in a budget minded neighborhood. It's highly desired by many if you can afford one (which normally means you hire out the maintenance).

Old 03-19-2019, 03:47 PM

1,850 posts, read 1,139,609 times
I don't see how anyone can do things outside like yard work without a pool to cool down in when it's 110 out. I know people who just sit in their house all day don't ever go out in the heat they don't use their pool. They are on the internet all day or watching TV.[/quote]

When it's 110 outside you do not do outdoor yard work. Even pro companies start at sunup and quit about noonish.

Old 03-19-2019, 04:09 PM

56 posts, read 40,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skydude24 View Post
Baths are not chlorinated. Properly maintained pools are. Big difference.
Remember that when you see a brown floaty in the pool.

Old 03-20-2019, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat465 View Post
Remember that when you see a brown floaty in the pool.
This scene never gets old!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPxiXGr9nFM

Old 03-20-2019, 12:40 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,228,199 times
The appraiser said a nice pool only adds about $5000 premium. He said it could be significantly less if it is just a basic play pool. He also said, there are a lot of people that won't look at homes with pools.

The appraiser was not keen on pools and he said you never get your moneys worth out of a pool so never get a pool if the purpose is to add value to your home.

Old 03-20-2019, 02:20 PM

3,285 posts, read 2,664,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
The appraiser said a nice pool only adds about $5000 premium.
You're missing a zero.

Old 03-20-2019, 02:29 PM

121 posts, read 117,091 times
Quote:
The appraiser said a nice pool only adds about $5000 premium. He said it could be significantly less if it is just a basic play pool. He also said, there are a lot of people that won't look at homes with pools.

The appraiser was not keen on pools and he said you never get your moneys worth out of a pool so never get a pool if the purpose is to add value to your home.

I think its hit or miss...while buying recently we had agents tell us people didn't want homes with a pool and other agents say homes with pools don't last a week on the market. while we shopped homes with pools where all under contract as quickly as we could schedule a showing.....We were willing to pay a little more for a home with a pool but ended up just getting a yard big enough to build our own. It was obvious while looking which homes where trying to recoup money back from the pools they had installed based on price vs the condition of the home.

Old 03-20-2019, 02:43 PM

566 posts, read 574,110 times
It also depends on the neighborhood. Our neighborhood is older and about 85% of the homes already have pools and the lots are larger. There is no HOA pool so most people want one.

Old 03-20-2019, 05:19 PM

Quote:

As I mentioned earlier, the value depends on the demographic. People with thicker wallets (nicer homes and neighborhood) are willing to pay for a pool. A heck of a lot more than $5K. I'm looking in Trilogy in Vistancia. Price per square foot is generally $75 to $100 more a square foot than Vistancia by itself. Trilogy is the gated 55+ section. People pay a solid $40K more for pools. This assumes that there isn't something else wrong with the house. I've been staring at past sales for two years. It scales for a solid $40K more for a nice pool (it might cost them $60K for that caliber of pool new). $20K to $30K for a more basic pool.

But you are right, some people don't want a pool for the hassle and expense. Additionally, it's too expensive for some people to maintain and they don't want to take care of it. But if someone has a pool service, some of the hassle partially disappears.

I personally don't want one. But my wife is mandating a pool. The bottom line is an amazing backyard happens with a killer pool. And people in AZ with the budget more often than not want one. These homes are in the $600K-$700K range. Notice how many people have pools?

https://www.google.com/maps/place/DC...!4d-111.859467
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area