Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2020, 04:04 PM

2,775 posts, read 5,732,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
The more important question is do they have any groceries at Fry's or are the shelves still bare?
That's the big Q. When I went out yesterday (Bashas') I was able to get milk (most gallons looked like they'd been dropped in mud), eggs (expensive ones), bread (was being stocked as I passed), fresh fruits/vegetables (no garlic), and a few other items.
The main problem was the hysteria (imho) surrounding paper products with all the congestion they were causing throughout the store. If stores and everyone else are spending so much time, space and energy on stocking these items, then all other departments are going to suffer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2020, 07:35 PM

9,781 posts, read 11,184,206 times
I got back from Costco in Santa Monica (actually, Marina Del Rey) around 3PM. There was a line to get in after us because of a surge of people. This line happened because of "social distancing" as they didn't want the store packed. There is no rice, noodles, frozen vegetables, or the allocated paper products. Basically, things with shelf life and cheaper. I was talking with an employee. He said people are waiting in line starting at (drum roll, please) 3 am! The employee also mentioned that when he walks into the store in the morning, people are yelling "the line is back here!".

So it seems that hoarding is happening on all kinds of products now and it is expanding.

Old 03-18-2020, 07:40 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,285,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
I got back from Costco in Santa Monica (actually, Marina Del Rey) around 3PM. There was a line to get in after us because of a surge of people. This line happened because of "social distancing" as they didn't want the store packed. There is no rice, noodles, frozen vegetables, or the allocated paper products. Basically, things with shelf life and cheaper. I was talking with an employee. He said people are waiting in line starting at (drum roll, please) 3 am! The employee also mentioned that when he walks into the store in the morning, people are yelling "the line is back here!".

So it seems that hoarding is happening on all kinds of products now and it is expanding.
Just as an aside, you're going to self quarantine when you return to the valley, correct?

Old 03-18-2020, 08:10 PM

13,826 posts, read 8,046,023 times
I go to Safeway and Fry's maybe twice a week to pick up chicken and beef. Vegetables are still fairly easy to come by.

I went to Costco in Mesa which is the largest store in AZ. Got there fifteen before it opens and there was a huge line.

I will be listing a rental soon and showings will be done individually. No open house.

How long will this last? Who knows.

But the Japanese might have come up something... which if approved in the States might help calm things a bit.
ttps://theweek.com/speedreads/903079/japanese-flu-drug-appears-effective-combatting-coronavirus-chinese-studies-show

Old 03-18-2020, 09:26 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,623,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
I will be listing a rental soon and showings will be done individually. No open house.
All the apartments I talked to today, here in PHX and in TX, are not doing live viewings. They're only doing virtual tours. One complex in TX is working on virtual tours of empty, available units, which would be helpful. I also noticed multiple listings on Zillow stating self-tours only, no live tours.

Old 03-18-2020, 09:27 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,623,512 times
Anyone here shop at Trader Joe's? How are their inventory levels?

Old 03-18-2020, 09:33 PM

13,826 posts, read 8,046,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
All the apartments I talked to today, here in PHX and in TX, are not doing live viewings. They're only doing virtual tours. One complex in TX is working on virtual tours of empty, available units, which would be helpful. I also noticed multiple listings on Zillow stating self-tours only, no live tours.
I don't see any self-tours or virtual showings listed in the Gilbert area on Zillow.

Can you provide me a link?

Thanks

Old 03-18-2020, 10:51 PM

9,781 posts, read 11,184,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
Just as an aside, you're going to self quarantine when you return to the valley, correct?
I'm isolating myself for well over a week. I didn't fly to LA as planned. Rather I felt it best to drive. I canceled my flight to Boston this week as well. I rented an AirBnB versus staying at friends and near the beach in Santa Monica. In short, I went out to buy groceries to cook at "home". No restaurants are open here. My entertainment has been walking on the beach and going on hikes. We are driving back on Saturday.

We are still trying to gauge where the best spot to hang. PHX area is home to retirees at the highest risk easily depleting ventilators. OR go back in northern MN.

Old 03-19-2020, 12:38 AM

2,775 posts, read 5,732,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
Anyone here shop at Trader Joe's? How are their inventory levels?
The last time I went to mine (Surprise) they were fine, except for paper products.
They had started the policy of not leaving out samples and coffee (you had to ask).
I won't be back because the freezer isle is nuts on regular days, I can only imagine it now.

Old 03-19-2020, 01:53 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,925,442 times
https://www.diamandis.com/blog/good-news-covid-19
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area