Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2020, 12:11 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,291,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
The link that Detroit showed was from Singapore. So don't hold your breath (pun intended). Other brews are in stock. But I don't know when they would actually ship. Our dentist daughter order some non-3M brews that fit her face. But to order those, you need to be in healthcare. I asked if she could spare a dozen. In the meantime, I will use her old ones and really limit my runs outside of our house.
I'm not sure that's smart to use an old mask, especially as it was used it close proximity to someone with their mouth wide open. I would think you're increasing your risk but like I said before I'm no expert. I certainly wouldn't do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2020, 12:37 PM

9,822 posts, read 11,208,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
I'm not sure that's smart to use an old mask, especially as it was used it close proximity to someone with their mouth wide open. I would think you're increasing your risk but like I said before I'm no expert. I certainly wouldn't do it.
The rule of thumb is wait three days and you are 100 percent sure that no COVID virus is alive. But, I don’t how long bacteria etc lasts. Point taken and I should google it some more. I do know that during the PPE shortage, a Pulmonologist good customer mine (intubations are the most dangerous procedure) had to reuse a single N95 mask for a week totaling 5 weeks (he got a mask a week for 5 weeks straight). As a side note, he is still not gotten COVID.

It should be noted that people should not to wear their own mask the following day either. Obviously they were wearing N95 masks long before COVID. In the meantime, I need to get some NEW K95’s.

Old 07-12-2020, 02:28 PM

39,107 posts, read 51,328,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
The rule of thumb is wait three days and you are 100 percent sure that no COVID virus is alive. But, I don’t how long bacteria etc lasts. Point taken and I should google it some more. I do know that during the PPE shortage, a Pulmonologist good customer mine (intubations are the most dangerous procedure) had to reuse a single N95 mask for a week totaling 5 weeks (he got a mask a week for 5 weeks straight). As a side note, he is still not gotten COVID.

It should be noted that people should not to wear their own mask the following day either. Obviously they were wearing N95 masks long before COVID. In the meantime, I need to get some NEW K95’s.
Nurses treating covid in AZ hospitals don't even get to use N95. They have to use a surgical mask and face shield unless they are doing something up close. In procedures where they do have them, they are re-used. They put it all their PPE in a paper bag with their name on it. There is not enough PPE no matter what kind of BS Pence is peddling. Never has been. Truly third world.

Old 07-12-2020, 05:58 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,712,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Nurses treating covid in AZ hospitals don't even get to use N95. They have to use a surgical mask and face shield unless they are doing something up close. In procedures where they do have them, they are re-used. They put it all their PPE in a paper bag with their name on it. There is not enough PPE no matter what kind of BS Pence is peddling. Never has been. Truly third world.
Indeed, the n-95’s are still safely locked up in my facility, in a glassed-in room, so you can see them - they have to be counted daily, and a tally sent to senior managers (who are working from home).

It’s my understanding that a tally of all the wonderful safety equipment is being reported to state workers (who are working from home), then the government can pat itself on the back for making sure we “have what we need to do our jobs”..

It’s a glorious system ensuring that no n-95 ever gets into the hands of anyone who might actually get exposed to covid. N-95’s are only given out after a positive test is confirmed, and then they must be re-used for a week at a time.

Healthcare workers get paper masks from China, that get re-used until the straps fall off.. usually they fall off in a single shift though.

Old 07-13-2020, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
Indeed, the n-95’s are still safely locked up in my facility, in a glassed-in room, so you can see them - they have to be counted daily, and a tally sent to senior managers (who are working from home).

It’s my understanding that a tally of all the wonderful safety equipment is being reported to state workers (who are working from home), then the government can pat itself on the back for making sure we “have what we need to do our jobs”..

It’s a glorious system ensuring that no n-95 ever gets into the hands of anyone who might actually get exposed to covid. N-95’s are only given out after a positive test is confirmed, and then they must be re-used for a week at a time.

Healthcare workers get paper masks from China, that get re-used until the straps fall off.. usually they fall off in a single shift though.
Re: PPE. I'm wondering if we are going to learn a damn thing from COVID. I'm 1000% convinced we will have another one of these. Like the "100 year floods" that have happened 3 times in 20 years. Nothing is going to change in Asia. The wet markets are still going strong.

The world and country ignored warnings years back that we are short of PPE https://couriernewsroom.com/2020/04/...-ignored-them/ Which motivated me to work some math. 3M for instance who makes N95's will double their mask production to 2 billion https://www.assemblymag.com/articles...n-of-n95-masks . If every 10-year-old on up needed some N95's, just in the USA, we would gobble up their entire production with a grand total of 7, N95's per USA person. As you see, I don't see any country becoming remotely prepared for even another event like this. We should also be preparing our medications in the USA and masks and get production back on this side of the pond. If it costs a little more, that's a small price to pay. But I don't expect anything to change.

So when this all settles down, I'm going to get a hundred of these for my family... For the next round. I'm not going to buy a windmill or dehydrated food. Rather, I would like some masks and rubber gloves.

Last edited by MN-Born-n-Raised; 07-13-2020 at 05:47 AM..

Old 07-13-2020, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
So far, our ER-resident son is getting some N95's. But they are carefully being monitored. Our dentist daughter currently works for the Army. Of course, they have all they need while the private sector is battling for scraps. Including the private practice dentist where she is allowed to moonlight. That practice she works weekends at has allocated N95's.

Since the KN95 has loosened up, I am going to buy several hundred of the K95's and donate them to my sons ER department. With 2nd round of COVID yet to start (and it will be worse), I expect the price to jump back up.

Old 07-13-2020, 08:12 AM

1,108 posts, read 1,386,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
I keep my masks in the car parked out in the sun. If Covid survives 150 plus degrees in the baking car for day while in the sun, we are in real trouble.

Old 07-13-2020, 11:38 AM

1,695 posts, read 1,285,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidAZ View Post
I keep my masks in the car parked out in the sun. If Covid survives 150 plus degrees in the baking car for day while in the sun, we are in real trouble.
My thought exactly. I do the same.

Old 07-13-2020, 12:04 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,242,549 times
Don't use the link that DetroitN8V posted for the 3M N95 masks. It appears to be a scam...prior to seeing that it was an overseas company I placed an order and it went through just fine. The accepted my credit card and said the order was successful.

Today I get an email saying I need to complete some overseas money transfer process with instructions stating how critical it is that I transfer the money to the correct individual. The most suspicious part is they say they want to avoid a $10.69 swipe fee so by doing the transfer the fee is only $10.99. Tell me how that math makes any sense???

It is very shady sounding and I'm backing out and so far nothing charged to my credit card.

Old 07-13-2020, 12:23 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,753,671 times
Had luck with this:

https://amazon.com/gp/product/B085BN...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Arrived in 4 days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area