Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2020, 02:53 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,664,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Announce that schools will open 8/17 as he said.

Arizona ought to be ashamed, not Ducey but everyone. Canada with 38 million people has fewer cases than we have. We are not a densely populated state, most of us live in single family residences, apartments have open stairwells and no elevators. There is a huge supermarket every mile and a Walmart every five. We don't us public transportation. We have recreation opportunities where people can be miles apart, literally. But here we are with the worst per capita growth of cases in the nation.
I hope he does more than that. I expect him to punt more restrictive measures back to the counties and cities like he did with the mask requirements, being a weakling and all. I hope the reporters grill him about enforcement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2020, 03:51 PM

8,046 posts, read 12,286,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
So yea, the "experts" cannot be expected to get it right out of the gate. In my old world as well as with this COVID topic, you have a working knowledge that you THINK you can apply to a new related problem and it may not be the case. I can go on but I won't. My point being, you can highlight in quotes the word "experts" and "technical minds" all you want. You simply don't possess the life experience to understand what I just said. Now we all know when someone lies to us. That, of course, happens in medicine (follow the money) and politics (follow the power). It also happens with engineering (follow the glory and money). Lies always take you off course as proven by our leadership.
Nobody expected them to be perfectionists, but it's safe to say that most everybody expects a little more reliability from renowned experts in medicine (especially one of the leading infectious disease doctors in the world). If they're wrong, they should just admit it instead of resorting to lies & cover ups. Highly regarded medical & scientific professionals should be expected to rise above sleazy politics ... otherwise, they're just lowering themselves.

No, I don't have life experience in the technical, engineering, or medical field. So what? My line of work is banking & investments, but I'm not on here boasting about my many years of financial & business management experience, nor lecturing to other posters on managing their investment portfolios. Let's just agree that the leadership in all aspects (local, state, and federal) has been disastrous. The fact that Arizona is the leader in the COVID spike only adds to our sour reputation ... on top of our stellar record of having excessive heat and a lowly educated populace. As you've probably guessed, I'm pretty embarrassed to be a Valley Native right now!

Quote:
Announce that schools will open 8/17 as he said.

Arizona ought to be ashamed, not Ducey but everyone. Canada with 38 million people has fewer cases than we have. We are not a densely populated state, most of us live in single family residences, apartments have open stairwells and no elevators. There is a huge supermarket every mile and a Walmart every five. We don't us public transportation. We have recreation opportunities where people can be miles apart, literally. But here we are with the worst per capita growth of cases in the nation.
Not everybody in AZ fits into your description of living in single family homes or apartments without elevators, and quite a few in & around Phoenix rely on public transportation. You would know this if you spent more time away from your exurban hideaway. Generally speaking, we're not AS densely populated, nor AS reliant on public transit compared to places like NYC or Chicago. The fact that we are among the worst in the nation for COVID cases should convince you that having a lower population density means nothing, especially when people migrate from their detached residences to crowded shopping areas, restaurants, and other places where crowds gather. If a family member is contagious and brings home the virus, he/she just put the rest of the family at risk, regardless of what kind of residence it is.

Old 07-09-2020, 04:06 PM

1,108 posts, read 1,385,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
While I've googled this until I'm blue in the face, the ER Doc's private Facebook page (20,000+ strong) have discussed examples of people who got the COVID virus twice. Our son who is in his 1st year ER residency (and by definition, doesn't know squat after three weeks) is 100% convinced that this is documented. If true, I'd assume this would be front-page news.
Wow, that's terrifying if true. This is an insidious virus that takes our strength and twists it against us in the worst way possible. It's not dangerous enough (at first) to make people too nervous, and the mortality is pretty low because it gets people sick enough to hurt them but not kill them. Its symptoms could last a lifetime with destroyed organs / lungs. It can be silently transmitted.

It's the perfect virus that won't kill us quickly, but won't be going away for a long time. Terrifying.

Old 07-09-2020, 04:14 PM

9,803 posts, read 11,196,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Nobody expected them to be perfectionists, but it's safe to say that most everybody expects a little more reliability from renowned experts in medicine (especially one of the leading infectious disease doctors in the world). If they're wrong, they should just admit it instead of resorting to lies & cover ups. Highly regarded medical & scientific professionals should be expected to rise above sleazy politics ... otherwise, they're just lowering themselves.

No, I don't have life experience in the technical, engineering, or medical field. So what? My line of work is banking & investments, but I'm not on here boasting about my many years of financial & business management experience, nor lecturing to other posters on managing their investment portfolios. Let's just agree that the leadership in all aspects (local, state, and federal) has been disastrous. The fact that Arizona is the leader in the COVID spike only adds to our sour reputation ... on top of our stellar record of having excessive heat and a lowly educated populace. As you've probably guessed, I'm pretty embarrassed to be a Valley Native right now!
We agree (in bold).

Typed words often miss their message. I got the feeling you were critiquing the rapidly changing theories. My point was it's not that simple even with the brightest bulbs in the room. If we all want to hang someone out to dry because their hypothesis was wrong and call them a "so-called expert", well, you don't get their complex world. Engineers and researchers are often wrong the majority of the time. They get paid to solve complex problems. It's why peer-reviewed medical journals are so important. But here we are rushing and bypassing that approach and we are where we are. I was letting you know why I am cutting them some slack. And in other examples, why you cannot take warmer weather or a native American situation and correlate something to it with ease (like they live in wide-open spaces). It doesn't work that way as there are interactions.

My hunch is the people with the highest COVID health problems are highly correlated to obesity and age. Age == reduced immune system and obesity is tied into all kinds of other issues like high BP, diabetes and the John Hopkins link that theorized why weight is so important https://hub.jhu.edu/2020/06/01/david...sity-covid-19/ .There are others. But I bet that's what the common denominator will end of being. It's what happens with a lot of diseases.

How to reduce the impact (a vaccine) is what we are all waiting for (well, at least 2/3 of us). In the meantime, we get to watch the sh_t-show play out.

Old 07-09-2020, 04:34 PM

39,102 posts, read 51,306,911 times
Not much of substance from Ducey as expected. Just cut restaurants to 50% which they already were supposed to be doing. More testing promised but we can't do half of what he promised last time yet.

Old 07-09-2020, 04:38 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,664,859 times
Quote:
Not much of substance from Ducey as expected. Just cut restaurants to 50% which they already were supposed to be doing. More testing promised but we can't do half of what he promised last time yet.
Unbelievable. Limiting dining rooms to 50% is his big plan to scale back the spread? This guy is completely negligent, and side note, excruciating to listen to.

Old 07-09-2020, 04:56 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,723,382 times
Here is why Ducey is a wimp [mod cut]. Places like Gila and COCHISE County have been far more spared than Maricopa. He is afraid to alienate remote areas that support his party. Simple theory.

Last edited by volosong; 07-09-2020 at 07:46 PM.. Reason: no national partisan politics

Old 07-09-2020, 05:08 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,927,532 times
but he did ask people to stay home and watch Netflix, so thats pretty tough!

Old 07-09-2020, 05:15 PM

525 posts, read 540,530 times
Quote:
Yeah, that's what I thought too. I told my husband - "Wait, I already thought they were only at 50% capacity..." Enforceable?

Old 07-09-2020, 05:17 PM

1,108 posts, read 1,385,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
but he did ask people to stay home and watch Netflix, so thats pretty tough!
LOL!!

I wonder if it would be more effective, if he said "DO NOT Wear a mask!!", and then have all those crazy loonies who protest government then all of a sudden putting on masks, cause hey they hate the government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area