Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2020, 08:33 AM

2,791 posts, read 7,478,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by popwar View Post
What I'm saying is find an alternative to your usual that doesn't involve being around groups of people you don't know. Atleast until a vaccine is available .
Two questions:

1) Why "at least" until a vaccine is available? What reason would there to be to continue with these restrictions after a vaccine exists and is widely distributed?

2) What happens if a safe and effective vaccine can't be developed? Do we continue like this forever?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2020, 09:03 AM

2,029 posts, read 2,372,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
Two questions:

1) Why "at least" until a vaccine is available? What reason would there to be to continue with these restrictions after a vaccine exists and is widely distributed?

2) What happens if a safe and effective vaccine can't be developed? Do we continue like this forever?
1) Because a vaccine would prevent people from getting the virus.

2) Yes, or until at some point everyone that has gotten the disease has survived, leaving the dead behind, and have antibodies in their system to prevent re-infection and those antibodies last forever (highly doubtful).

If you don't like wearing a mask, social distancing, or hybernating, you will take your chances, like those at Trump rallies, and get sick and either get better or just die. Or keep on believing it is all a conspiracy and see what happens. It is your life.

Old 06-24-2020, 09:15 AM

42,880 posts, read 26,443,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenwings View Post
Masking causes humans to breathe their own dangerous co2. Our immune system was built to create antibodies. running away in fear and freaking others out shows people need a lesson on beginning science. but obviously people dont believe that natural antibodies are better than those created from a vax. I watch humans restrict their breathing in stores and I am shocked they would buy into this. hospitals were paid extra to mark covid on death certificates even if the patient had cancer. stats are not truthful. media is running amok. covid testing is also a scam = multiple false positives and even if you got it, most humans recover. the fear is sad. check dr judy mikovits out who worked on the aids vax. she has the 411.

If I were the cite administrator I would permanently ban anyone who posted fake information regarding this virus. It is too important to allow people to post the latest theory from QAnon or the Flat Earthers.

Old 06-24-2020, 09:16 AM

2,791 posts, read 7,478,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
1) Because a vaccine would prevent people from getting the virus.

2) Yes, or until at some point everyone that has gotten the disease has survived, leaving the dead behind, and have antibodies in their system to prevent re-infection and those antibodies last forever (highly doubtful).

If you don't like wearing a mask, social distancing, or hybernating, you will take your chances, like those at Trump rallies, and get sick and either get better or just die. Or keep on believing it is all a conspiracy and see what happens. It is your life.
The response to #1 isn't an answer at all. The question remains: Why "at least"? What other condition would have to be satisfied?

The response to #2 is untenable. People won't tolerate indefinite isolation. At some point, there will be a decision to move on one way or another.

The final paragraph is based on incorrect assumptions. I don't support Trump, and I don't look for conspiracies. I do ask critical questions, especially when arguments are unclear or involve unfounded assumptions.

Old 06-24-2020, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
Two questions:

Look at what Taiwan did, they starved the virus and it's pretty much gone. Their economy which was never seriously damaged because they started fighting covid-19 early is doing great.
Social distancing + wearing of masks + contact tracing leaves the virus without a host, without a host it goes away. The only chance of a new flare up is from people coming into the country so you check temperatures and mandate that they self quarantine for 14 days. Had we started that at the end of February or the beginning of March the economy would not have been wrecked and we would be going to school, church and everything else you ever did. It is because of our failure to act, and then subsequently to honor orders to social distance and wear masks that we are where we are today.

Old 06-24-2020, 09:50 AM

2,338 posts, read 4,731,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elna Rae View Post
I assume you have data to back up your straw man example? Plenty of people dying everywhere from Covid; churches don't have a "lock" on it.
Exactly.They should have no authority over local state and federal policies either. Certainly does not make one omnipotent from COVID 19 being in one. Since some of my posts been deleted will leave it at that.

Old 06-24-2020, 09:57 AM

8,290 posts, read 8,701,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Look at what Taiwan did, they starved the virus and it's pretty much gone. Their economy which was never seriously damaged because they started fighting covid-19 early is doing great.
Social distancing + wearing of masks + contact tracing leaves the virus without a host, without a host it goes away. The only chance of a new flare up is from people coming into the country so you check temperatures and mandate that they self quarantine for 14 days. Had we started that at the end of February or the beginning of March the economy would not have been wrecked and we would be going to school, church and everything else you ever did. It is because of our failure to act, and then subsequently to honor orders to social distance and wear masks that we are where we are today.
How would the mandate work? Would you lock them up or use the honor system?

The US is quite a bit larger than Taiwan. How many points of entry do they have compared to the US?

They should have stopped all entry into the US except for American citizens and they should have been given 10 days to return or told to stay out until this is over.

Old 06-24-2020, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
How would the mandate work? Would you lock them up or use the honor system?
The US is quite a bit larger than Taiwan. How many points of entry do they have compared to the US?
They should have stopped all entry into the US except for American citizens and they should have been given 10 days to return or told to stay out until this is over.
The 14 day quarantine mandate? We could do exactly what Taiwan does:

Quote:
Hand over your phone!
For one thing, anyone arriving in Taiwan from overseas must have his or her temperature checked at the airport. Arriving passengers must also hand over their mobile phones so health authorities can record the details and use the GPS signals provided by telecoms operators to track the phone’s owners — and make sure they stay isolated during 14 days of mandatory quarantine. https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/t...eases-n1188781

Old 06-24-2020, 10:50 AM

1,696 posts, read 1,293,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
You are wrong. Being generous with your time and money has nothing to do with belonging to organized religion. I could raddle off a lot of generous friends and acquaintances. In fact, read this https://www.livescience.com/20005-at...lity%20Science.

"Atheists and agnostics are more driven by compassion to help others than are highly religious people, a new study finds.

That doesn't mean highly religious people don't give, according to the research to be published in the July 2012 issue of the journal Social Psychological and Personality Science. But compassion seems to drive religious people's charitable feelings less than it other groups."

Find me more generous people that Bill and Milinda Gates (they don't believe in a God and he finds practicing religious activities as a waste of time.) I applaud anyone who gives their time and money away to worthy causes.
First off, the Gates' are outliers and are not relevant to 99.9% of the rest of us. So I don't really care what they say or do. Last I checked, he isn't the spokesperson for the atheist community.

Second, I mentioned nothing of individual giving. I was talking about organizational giving.

That being said, all I meant by my post is that churches do A LOT of very good things for the community. For the poor. For people that were sexually abused and/or trafficked. The list goes on. Yet, everyone started calling these pastors con men. I was trying to point out that con men don't typically build entire community centers to try and get people who were human trafficked back on their feet.

On the other hand, look at a group like the American Atheists (atheists.org). Look at their financial statement and it looks like the vast majority of their spending goes to fighting for their cause. It's all about them...their struggles and their unbelief. Lobbying to Congress. Financial statements don't lie.

Old 06-24-2020, 11:20 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,689,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
First off, the Gates' are outliers and are not relevant to 99.9% of the rest of us. So I don't really care what they say or do. Last I checked, he isn't the spokesperson for the atheist community.

Second, I mentioned nothing of individual giving. I was talking about organizational giving.

That being said, all I meant by my post is that churches do A LOT of very good things for the community. For the poor. For people that were sexually abused and/or trafficked. The list goes on. Yet, everyone started calling these pastors con men. I was trying to point out that con men don't typically build entire community centers to try and get people who were human trafficked back on their feet.

On the other hand, look at a group like the American Atheists (atheists.org). Look at their financial statement and it looks like the vast majority of their spending goes to fighting for their cause. It's all about them...their struggles and their unbelief. Lobbying to Congress. Financial statements don't lie.
American Atheists is a lobbying group. They're not intended to be a charitable organization any more than the Christian Coalition is. Cherry-picking doesn't prove anything. There are plenty of atheist groups that do a lot of good for the community and plenty of Christian groups that do harm. Here's a local example of non-religious charity: https://thecbb.org/atheists-helping-...eless-phoenix/ The Humanist Society is another.

The point is, religion and charity don't necessarily go hand in hand and therefore, the Phoenix rally church doesn't get a free pass at being a shill for a political rally in the middle of a pandemic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area