Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2020, 08:02 AM

9,820 posts, read 11,205,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elna Rae View Post
In this current culture where we have no more than 60 seconds to make a point before readers check out, brevity is crucial.

Since you seem to be obsessed with my nose-picking employee example I'll use it: I made it very clear that I care deeply about my employees. Caring for someone does not preclude criticizing them. (It turns out I was right; young people generally speaking haven't taken this pandemic as seriously as they should... of course a lot of old farts haven't either!)

There are some in this anonymous "community" (With no personal accountability it's not community at all.) that have a pattern of casting malicious insults toward other posters (an important distinction v. those "outside") whose views they disagree with. I believe all others are entitled to a measure of charity rather than hyperspace-jumping-to-conclusions regarding evil motives.

It's obvious: When someone feels threatened they attempt to deflect or reload by insulting their opponent rather than sticking to the topic. In the long run this tactic is self-defeating as it just makes them look like an ass. Personal attacks are the fruit of hate and the antithesis of love.
So we are clear, I've come to the conclusion long ago that you are highly intelligent. This post ^^ reinforces my view. Therefore, it's the reason why I enjoy reading your POV. Truth be told, with other posters it's equally obvious they are not as intelligent. People who format their thinking based on only an ideology versus thinking for themselves come to mind. I'll leave it at that.

And you are right, brevity is necessary for communication. And that's not exactly my strength. After I connected the dots in your nose-picking example, I gathered that you cared about the people that work for you. It took me some time to gather a full picture of what you were saying. And it seems that you had them pegged early on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2020, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by belgirl View Post
Sorry, but we are going to have to agree to disagree on this one. H1N1 alone has infected over 100 million Americans, killing over 75,000 people and sending almost 1 million people to the hospital. I don't think those antibodies are that great; furthermore even though our family gets the flu shot every year (and we are pro-vaccine), my kids still got the flu. I just think its interesting that the same people who want the government to mandate masks for Covid, would have a fit if the government mandated masks for flu season. Yeah, sorry, I find that a tad hypocritical but whatever.....

Interesting article on the flu pandemic in 1918 and masks: https://www.washingtonpost.com/histo...-were-useless/

Nothing has changed much. LOL...
I never said I wanted the government to mandate masks. I said I wanted officials in power to lead by example and educate accordingly.

I will say, I find it interesting you are quick to want to believe that "75,000 people" died of H1N1 in the USA when it was 12,469 deaths in the U.S. Read https://www.biospace.com/article/200...irus-pandemic/ or https://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/q...-flu-in-the-us . I'll give you 30 other sources if you like.

re: your kids getting the flu. If you look at the 1st link, it explains why. With the HIN1, older people were not nearly as susceptible as children. Why? As I explained, as you get older you generate trillions of antibodies. It's why "only" 12,000 people died. Don't take my word, read https://www.fredhutch.org/en/news/ce...-mutation.html

Edit. I thought all of us were way past "this is basically the bad flu". For whatever reason, you don't want to get on board with people who actually understand viruses. I'm going to go out on a limb and say 99.9999999% of all doctors are on board. And even if they think it's overblown (I certainly do think it's hyped up 5x more than what is the reality), those more skeptical doctors still would recommend masks and a level of social distancing. Is it really that hard to wear a mask? Yet you rationalize, deny, suspect, and refuse to want to understand why this one is different.

I will say I appreciate your level headed approach. You always stay in check and make your points. But I've come to conclude you are never going to understand why people around the entire word reacted as they have. If we did nothing, we could be looking at 10X more deaths right now. After all of the early mitigation including basically shutting down the economy and sheltering, we are at 110,000+ deaths or 10X the N1H1 flu. All under 5 months and maybe 2% of the population infected. Just imagine how many deaths and long term side effects would go on if we used your "it's basically the flu" approach. Why are you even debating this?

Last edited by MN-Born-n-Raised; 06-22-2020 at 08:49 AM..

Old 06-22-2020, 08:57 AM

13,887 posts, read 8,086,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elna Rae View Post
In this current culture where we have no more than 60 seconds to make a point before readers check out, brevity is crucial.

Since you seem to be obsessed with my nose-picking employee example I'll use it: I made it very clear that I care deeply about my employees. Caring for someone does not preclude criticizing them. (It turns out I was right; young people generally speaking haven't taken this pandemic as seriously as they should... of course a lot of old farts haven't either!)

There are some in this anonymous "community" (With no personal accountability it's not community at all.) that have a pattern of casting malicious insults toward other posters (an important distinction v. those "outside") whose views they disagree with. I believe all others are entitled to a measure of charity rather than hyperspace-jumping-to-conclusions regarding evil motives.

It's obvious: When someone feels threatened they attempt to deflect or reload by insulting their opponent rather than sticking to the topic. In the long run this tactic is self-defeating as it just makes them look like an ass. Personal attacks are the fruit of hate and the antithesis of love.

O.k. Fry's in Mesa has posted a sign at the door citing the ordnance about wearing a mask. Last night just before closing there were a small number of people shopping and maybe 1/3 without a mask.

Now... given all the back and forth about wearing a mask vs. not wearing one on this site as well as neighborhood sites like Nextdoor it will be interesting to see if augments/fights start to break out.

A keyboard warrior is one thing but actually stopping someone in public is another.

Old 06-22-2020, 09:17 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,669,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
O.k. Fry's in Mesa has posted a sign at the door citing the ordnance about wearing a mask. Last night just before closing there were a small number of people shopping and maybe 1/3 without a mask.

Now... given all the back and forth about wearing a mask vs. not wearing one on this site as well as neighborhood sites like Nextdoor it will be interesting to see if augments/fights start to break out.

A keyboard warrior is one thing but actually stopping someone in public is another.
Some people think they’re really important and get to make their own rules while not giving a damn about others. I expect that to fade in the next couple weeks and especially once we see numbers declining. It will become habit and more normal. Some are just slow. The Fry’s I went to refused to check out a woman until she put a mask on. Hopefully all businesses become so diligent. Many businesses that I go to have posted no mask/no service policies on their social media.

Old 06-22-2020, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Some people think they’re really important and get to make their own rules while not giving a damn about others. I expect that to fade in the next couple weeks and especially once we see numbers declining. It will become habit and more normal. Some are just slow. The Fry’s I went to refused to check out a woman until she put a mask on. Hopefully all businesses become so diligent. Many businesses that I go to have posted no mask/no service policies on their social media.
In order to protect their employees, I suspect most businesses wanted to institute a mask policy. Having recent city rules in place gave them a backbone.

Old 06-22-2020, 10:09 AM

1,695 posts, read 1,285,027 times
Quote:

My exact thought. Fry's at Higley and Pecos had a few holdouts the other day. Walking around with their heads held high, like they were the supreme beings not needing a mask. I just honestly don't get it. Cool, you love your freedom and liberty...so do I. But it has nothing to do with that at this point in the game. I can all but guarantee we will be seeing some fights on our local nightly news programs in the coming days. People will not stand for ignorance and/or malcontent.

Old 06-22-2020, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
My exact thought. Fry's at Higley and Pecos had a few holdouts the other day. Walking around with their heads held high, like they were the supreme beings not needing a mask. I just honestly don't get it. Cool, you love your freedom and liberty...so do I. But it has nothing to do with that at this point in the game. I can all but guarantee we will be seeing some fights on our local nightly news programs in the coming days. People will not stand for ignorance and/or malcontent.
The news will report on fights breaking out but by and large people will do their complaining on social media. Actual confrontations will be small.

Most people and/or employees aren't going to get into an argument or fistfight over this. I shop at the Frys on Recker and McKellips. The only rules which were strictly enforced was the 60 years old and over shoppers between 6 and 7 am and a limit on certain items you could buy.

As far as why people aren't wearing a mask: I don't think most people are attempting to make a political statement. After months of this crisis they still don't know of anyone who has died or even gotten very ill. And while they might own a mask it broke or they forget it in the car or whatever. Add in those seen on the news who gathered in protest but didn't wear a mask and many people have tuned out.

They see the notice at Fry's before entering about wearing a mask but they forgot it at home or in the car or it's lost or broke. Again they don't know anyone who has gotten seriously ill or died. So, unless Fry's is going to station someone at the front door to make sure customers are wearing a mask. Not much will change.

Last edited by john3232; 06-22-2020 at 11:06 AM..

Old 06-22-2020, 11:00 AM

1,695 posts, read 1,285,027 times
Quote:
The news will report on fights breaking out in stores or the airport but by and large people will do their complaining on social media. Actual confrontations will be small.

Most people and/or employees aren't going to get into an argument or fistfight over this. I shop at the Frys on Recker and McKellips. The only rule which was enforced was the 60 years old and over shoppers between 6 and 7 am.

As far as why people aren't wearing a mask: I don't think most people are attempting to make a political statement. After months of this pandemic they still don't know of anyone who has died. And while they might own a mask it broke or they forget it in the car or whatever. Add those who gathered together in protest but didn't wear a mask and many people have tuned out.

They see the notice at Fry's before entering about wearing a mask but they forgot it at home or in the car or it's lost or broke. And they don't know anyone who has gotten seriously ill or actually died. So, unless Fry's is going to station someone at the front door to make sure customers are wearing a mask. Not much will change.
I mean, I get it to a certain extent. I don't know a single person who has gotten this virus. Not one. I just don't even know what to believe anymore. The story changes daily. But I just wear my mask and go on with my day. Not because I like to submit to government or any of that other nonsense. It's because I actually care about my fellow human, even if that feeling is not reciprocated.

Old 06-22-2020, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
I mean, I get it to a certain extent. I don't know a single person who has gotten this virus. Not one. I just don't even know what to believe anymore. The story changes daily. But I just wear my mask and go on with my day. Not because I like to submit to government or any of that other nonsense. It's because I actually care about my fellow human, even if that feeling is not reciprocated.
That's it right there. 1000 new cases, 3000 new cases..click and the TV channel is changed.

Who do they know that has gotten sick... much less died.

The urgency is gone for many.

Last edited by john3232; 06-22-2020 at 11:42 AM..

Old 06-22-2020, 11:43 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,669,627 times
Quote:
That's it right there. 1000 new cases, 3000 new cases..click and the TV channel is changed.

Who do they know that has gotten sick... much less died.

The urgency is gone for many.
That's a shameful statement on the level of empathy and decency in this country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area