Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2020, 08:08 AM

9,825 posts, read 11,237,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
Exactly. Call it the China Virus and people lost their minds on here. Call a Christian a con man and it's applause. A lot of these people are only tolerant of what they choose.
I understand your POV. I don't personally know them so I cannot call them con-men. I will bet they contacted the paper to get publicity. I get it. At the core, a church is a business. BUT I thought a church's purpose was really to spread God’s ideas and God’s plan. No? I didn't realize it was to host a Trump rally (it could have been a Biden rally too).

Quote:
We all know any air filtration system cannot fully remove a virus. Obviously the business that sold this filtration system to the church should also be labeled con men.
I would like to highlight that the link discussed a church member was the brain-child behind the system for killing 99.9% of the COVID virus.

I don't want to pile on to poke at someone's faith. Because you are right, it's immature and I have been guilty of that in the past. But with this specific church, it's suspect. Like the clasping hand picture, the 99.9% virus killing machine, them asking for press coverage, and doing the "non-God work" of hosting a rally was my motivation to post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2020, 08:51 AM

1,696 posts, read 1,293,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
I understand your POV. I don't personally know them so I cannot call them con-men. I will bet they contacted the paper to get publicity. I get it. At the core, a church is a business. BUT I thought a church's purpose was really to spread God’s ideas and God’s plan. No? I didn't realize it was to host a Trump rally (it could have been a Biden rally too).

I would like to highlight that the link discussed a church member was the brain-child behind the system for killing 99.9% of the COVID virus.

I don't want to pile on to poke at someone's faith. Because you are right, it's immature and I have been guilty of that in the past. But with this specific church, it's suspect. Like the clasping hand picture, the 99.9% virus killing machine, them asking for press coverage, and doing the "non-God work" of hosting a rally was my motivation to post.
I don't know much about this specific church. I know it's huge, but I can't speak to their beliefs or anything like that. I remember about ten years ago when I first moved out here I worked for American Express. We had a large company "rally" that was held at this church. All of the board members were there (including Henry Kissenger at the time). So it seems to me this church uses the large space they have for other ventures as a way to make money. They are a business after all. They have staff, operating costs, etc.

My point is, we shouldn't lump all Christians into a single category. Just like not all white people are part of the KKK. Not all black people are gangbangers. Not all business people are crooks. It's ridiculous and a very unintelligent way of looking at society.

Old 06-23-2020, 09:05 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,689,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elna Rae View Post
Ditto.

The amount of vitriol here against Christians is staggering. If someone dared to use the same inflammatory language against people of color you would see some CD regulars come completely UNHINGED.

How about being consistent? Better yet... loving and tolerant.
Comparing someone's chosen religion to an innate characteristic is insane. We can be critical of one's choices, especially when they can negatively impact others. Being critical of the way someone is born is bigotry. I can't even believe that I had to explain that, especially to a "loving" Christian.

Old 06-23-2020, 09:05 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,988,753 times
Quote:
Ok folks, we get it. Some of you believe in God...some of you don't. Can we just leave it at that? Calling Christians con men and the like is just rude. There are plenty of things I could say about atheists, but what's the point? We all have our beliefs (even if you claim to not have one), so resorting to name calling is just immature. We all know any air filtration system cannot fully remove a virus. Obviously the business that sold this filtration system to the church should also be labeled con men.
The two literally tried to con an entire congregation. Call a spade a spade. Its the only way we stop it from continuing. It was not only silly, but stupid and dangerous because a lot of people take what their church leaders say at face value. And you know what? They’d do it again if they didn’t get called out for it.

Any sensible person that heard that should immediately be on alert, especially those that have followers.

Old 06-23-2020, 09:35 AM

9,825 posts, read 11,237,795 times
Quote:
I don't know much about this specific church. I know it's huge, but I can't speak to their beliefs or anything like that. I remember about ten years ago when I first moved out here I worked for American Express. We had a large company "rally" that was held at this church. All of the board members were there (including Henry Kissenger at the time). So it seems to me this church uses the large space they have for other ventures as a way to make money. They are a business after all. They have staff, operating costs, etc.

My point is, we shouldn't lump all Christians into a single category. Just like not all white people are part of the KKK. Not all black people are gangbangers. Not all business people are crooks. It's ridiculous and a very unintelligent way of looking at society.
Renting out space makes sense. And your AMEX example feels a lot different to me than how the Mega church decided to go about it. So I'm not lumping every church together. Forgetting the fact that I'm not a believer in any faith, I realize that churches as a whole do a lot of great work because their heart is in the right spot. Additionally, I'm agnostic and I am not an atheist. I smell something a little different with this specific church.

Old 06-23-2020, 10:14 AM

566 posts, read 576,952 times
Fellow Christians, you need to take a chill pill. That church is being deceptive calling their air filtration system a Covid killer and pretending they don't "necessarily" support Trump by having a rally there. Stop clutching pearls.

Old 06-23-2020, 10:37 AM

1,696 posts, read 1,293,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Renting out space makes sense. And your AMEX example feels a lot different to me than how the Mega church decided to go about it. So I'm not lumping every church together. Forgetting the fact that I'm not a believer in any faith, I realize that churches as a whole do a lot of great work because their heart is in the right spot. Additionally, I'm agnostic and I am not an atheist. I smell something a little different with this specific church.
Since your an agnostic, I'm just curious if you are equally as critical of atheists? Can we call all atheists con men too? Maybe a few of them sell snake oil online.

Old 06-23-2020, 10:45 AM

566 posts, read 576,952 times
Quote:
Since your an agnostic, I'm just curious if you are equally as critical of atheists? Can we call all atheists con men too? Maybe a few of them sell snake oil online.

No one's is calling ALL Christians con men. They are call those two men, con men. Why is this so offensive?

Old 06-23-2020, 10:51 AM

13,979 posts, read 8,146,416 times
Only going to get worse:

The unidentified adult female was standing in line in front of a mother and her child who was in a stroller. The preliminary investigation reveals the suspect was upset the woman wasn't maintaining her social distance and removed her mask, put her face close to the child and coughed a few times, according SJPD.
https://www.sfgate.com/news/editorsp...s-15359730.php

Old 06-23-2020, 11:00 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,988,753 times
Quote:
Your argument is a false premise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area