Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2021, 10:46 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,671,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
Well, when someone who weeps and moans about COVID shots gets an enlarged heart, stroke from blood clots, etc. I won't give two sh*ts.

What kind of cognitive dissonance leads someone to hear "You have to get the vaccine! But it won't keep you from getting sick, nor will it stop you from transmitting the disease. You still have to wear three masks and obey weird, cultish rules! But you have to get the shot, because those who have had the shot need to be protected from those who haven't!" and say "Hmmm, that makes sense to me!"?
This is such a sad and tired excuse. You’re arguing that because the vaccine is not infallible it is therefore useless. Think about that for a minute and maybe you’ll see how foolish that take is. You also seem concerned with the very rare side effects of the vaccine, while ignoring the side effects of the virus itself which are far more severe and far more prevalent. There’s only so much ignorance that people are willing to accept.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2021, 10:52 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,929,435 times
the truth is its NOT a "vaccine", its a "SHOT"..
"VACCINES" prevent you from getting a disease, and this "shot" doesnt prevent you from getting Covid, it just hopefully keeps you from dying if you get it..just like a flu "shot" doesnt keep you from getting the flu, just hopefully keeps you from dying from it

Sadly, this truth wont be discussed by the media, for obvious reasons

Old 09-19-2021, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
the truth is its NOT a "vaccine", its a "SHOT"..
"VACCINES" prevent you from getting a disease, and this "shot" doesnt prevent you from getting Covid, it just hopefully keeps you from dying if you get it..just like a flu "shot" doesnt keep you from getting the flu, just hopefully keeps you from dying from it

Sadly, this truth wont be discussed by the media, for obvious reasons
Where does it say that the definition of a vaccine is that it must be infallible. This vaccine prevents infection and severe disease. Just because it’s not 100% effective as the virus mutates doesn’t negate that fact. It still remains quite effective and at least check prevented infection at a rate of 8:1 vaccinated versus unvaccinated.

Old 09-19-2021, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Where does it say that the definition of a vaccine is that it must be 100% infallible. This vaccine prevents infection and severe disease. Just because it’s not 100% effective as the virus mutates doesn’t negate that fact. It still remains quite effective and at least check prevented infection at a rate of 8:1 vaccinated versus unvaccinated.

I never said it wasnt "effective"; I only said that by defination, a vaccine works to ELIMINATE a disease, (polio, smallpox, MMR, etc) where as a "shot", like tetnus, covid, flu, only are able to reduce severity, NOT eliminate anything..

Old 09-19-2021, 11:11 AM

39,107 posts, read 51,328,001 times
Quote:
I never said it wasnt "effective"; I only said that by defination, a vaccine works to ELIMINATE a disease, (polio, smallpox, MMR, etc) where as a "shot", like tetnus, covid, flu, only are able to reduce severity, NOT eliminate anything..
Smallpox vaccine has a 10% breakthrough rate yet it eliminated small pox. The trick is to vaccinate everyone you can find and then use quarantine and isolation to eliminate the breakouts. You have to wonder if that would have been possible in today's interconnected world.

I don't think we will ever eliminate covid, nor should we try. It will be good enough to get it to where it is endemic and manageable, but not a disease of great concern - pretty much like flu.

Old 09-19-2021, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Again, where is it stated that vaccines must be infallible? What’s the point of arguing semantics to begin with? By definition, it is a vaccine, but call it whatever you want if it makes you feel better for some weird reason. There’s no conspiracy (the media won’t call it a “shot” LOL).

Old 09-19-2021, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Smallpox vaccine has a 10% breakthrough rate yet it eliminated small pox. The trick is to vaccinate everyone you can find and then use quarantine and isolation to eliminate the breakouts. You have to wonder if that would have been possible in today's interconnected world.

I don't think we will ever eliminate covid, nor should we try. It will be good enough to get it to where it is endemic and manageable, but not a disease of great concern - pretty much like flu.

i think most agree with these statements

Old 09-19-2021, 01:06 PM

9,822 posts, read 11,208,443 times
Quote:
Well, when someone who weeps and moans about COVID shots gets an enlarged heart, stroke from blood clots, etc. I won't give two sh*ts.

What kind of cognitive dissonance leads someone to hear "You have to get the vaccine! But it won't keep you from getting sick, nor will it stop you from transmitting the disease. You still have to wear three masks and obey weird, cultish rules! But you have to get the shot, because those who have had the shot need to be protected from those who haven't!" and say "Hmmm, that makes sense to me!"?
If I was a young male, there would be no way in Hell I would take an mNRA. Feel better? I'd get the J&J. You are technical enough to get yourself confused.

Old 09-19-2021, 01:08 PM

9,822 posts, read 11,208,443 times
Quote:
If masks work, then why the explosion in COVID "cases" while everyone was wearing their silly masks? Why are masks a perfect cure for the flu but do nothing for COVID?

I swear to Christ, some of the things that some people believe leave me in absolute despair for the future of humanity. The desperation to be told how to feel safe is mind-boggling.
Think. Because most "masks" are a POS. Next, they "help" but they don't stop the transmission. It's mind-boggling how some people struggle to grasp basic science. When I care to, I wear N95's. Go big or go home. And yes, when people washed their hands more and were more careful, that also helped. So when the flu was waaaaaay down, there were other factors at play.

To continue to think for you, a mask doesn't "prevent" the (less transmissible) flu. Again, it helps. So POS masks help more for the flu. You see, they are different viruses. One size doesn't fit all. I swear to Christ, some people struggle to critically think.

"While the virus that causes COVID-19 and flu viruses are thought to spread in similar ways, the virus that causes COVID-19 is generally more contagious than flu viruses. Also, COVID-19 has been observed to have more superspreading events than flu. This means the virus that causes COVID-19 can quickly and easily spread to a lot of people and result in continual spreading among people as time progresses." https://www.cdc.gov/flu/symptoms/flu-vs-covid19.htm

Last edited by MN-Born-n-Raised; 09-19-2021 at 01:16 PM..

Old 09-19-2021, 01:16 PM

26,241 posts, read 49,134,708 times
I've read that the flu vaccine is only about 40% to 60% effective, but we still get them. Here's the CDC page on that stat. Excerpt: "....recent studies show that flu vaccination reduces the risk of flu illness by between 40% and 60% among the overall population during seasons when most circulating flu viruses are well-matched to those used to make flu vaccines. In general, current flu vaccines tend to work better against influenza B and influenza A(H1N1) viruses and offer lower protection against influenza A(H3N2) viruses."

I've read the stories about the people dying of COVID-19, it's a dreadful way to die and over 650,000 of us have died of this. Getting vaccinated is the smart move, just as it has always been smart to be vaccinated against polio, smallpox, tetanus, mumps, measles, rubella, shingles, hepatitis, hpv, pneumonia, etc.

Proper argument, in the classic sense of "argument" is always welcome: "...a coherent series of reasons, statements, or facts intended to support or establish a point of view..."

There is plenty of room for argument, but not for anger or name calling.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 09-20-2021 at 07:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area