Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2020, 09:41 AM

1,695 posts, read 1,284,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Actually, you said:
I said it made no sense. Never said I wasn't going to do it. I will always have a mask, at the least, around my neck. If I'm around people, I pull it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2020, 09:49 AM

4,866 posts, read 11,241,227 times
Quote:
Obviously you are doing rudimentary healthcare. As in, adult babysitting. To assume "healthcare" is what you do is oversimplifed.
Talk about "oversimplified", holy cow. Are you familiar with the medical issues that are dealt with at a Skilled Nursing Facility? We have Physicians and and Nurses that keep people with advanced diseases alive every day. While we're not performing open heart surgery we are treating people recovering from open heart surgery, COVID patients, patients with congestive heart failure, kidney failure, respiratory failure, cancer, HIV, psychiatric issues, end of life, and hundreds of other diseases.

Physicians seeing patients, developing treatments plans, writing orders, nurses carrying out those orders, seems like healthcare to me and the rest of us in the industry.

There is some "adult babysitting" for sure but healthcare professionals don't do that for the most part and that isn't considered healthcare. It's the same adult babysitting that would take place in an in-patient hospital.

I think we can both agree that regardless of your thoughts on the industry I work in, my industry/job is MUCH closer to healthcare than yours.

Also, appreciate your acknowledgement of the misunderstanding of previous posts.

Have a good day.

Edited to add: I Googled Skilled Nursing Facility to find a definition for you and here is the first one that came up. Sounds like healthcare to me...

"A skilled nursing facility is an in-patient rehabilitation and medical treatment center staffed with trained medical professionals. They provide the medically-necessary services of licensed nurses, physical and occupational therapists, speech pathologists, and audiologists."

Last edited by LBTRS; 09-18-2020 at 10:04 AM..

Old 09-18-2020, 10:02 AM

9,820 posts, read 11,205,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
Talk about "oversimplified", holy cow. Are you familiar with the medical issues that are dealt with at a Skilled Nursing Facility? We have Physicians and and Nurses that keep people with advanced diseases alive every day. While we're not performing open heart surgery we are treating people recovering from open heart surgery, COVID patients, patients with congestive heart failure, kidney failure, respiratory failure, cancer, HIV, psychiatric issues, end of life, and hundreds of other diseases.

Physicians seeing patients, developing treatments plans, writing orders, nurses carrying out those orders, seems like healthcare to me and the rest of us in the industry.

There is some "adult babysitting" for sure but healthcare professionals don't do that for the most part and that isn't considered healthcare.

I think we can both agree that regardless of your thoughts on the industry I work in, my industry/job is MUCH closer to healthcare than yours.

Also, appreciate your acknowledgement of the misunderstanding of previous posts.

Have a good day.
Obviously your job is much closer to healthcare. How does that make you more knowledgeable about masks? Because it doesn't.

I (immaturely) said "adult babysitting" because you said I was an "armchair scientist".

Old 09-18-2020, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
I said it made no sense. Never said I wasn't going to do it. I will always have a mask, at the least, around my neck. If I'm around people, I pull it up.
I read your typed words to mean: it makes no sense for people like yourself to wear a mask when only 2 people are in the store. As in, why bother when there are a lot more people in a restaurant and they don't have to? "It makes no sense". I bet I'm not the only one who read it that way. Obviously, that wasn't what you meant. But it's how it sounds....

Listen, I'm not going to win a "clarity award" with my typed words. So I'm not throwing stones.

Old 09-18-2020, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Obviously your job is much closer to healthcare. How does that make you more knowledgeable about masks? Because it doesn't.

I (immaturely) said "adult babysitting" because you said I was an "armchair scientist".
I'm responsible for procurement of masks, following federal/state guidelines for mask use, enforcing mask usage, dealing with 700 people wearing masks in a healthcare setting during a covid pandemic, testing to see if the masks are working, etc.

You're reading about masks on the internet.

I see your point, you may be more knowledgeable.

Old 09-18-2020, 10:29 AM

Quote:
I'm responsible for procurement of masks, following federal/state guidelines for mask use, enforcing mask usage, dealing with 700 people wearing masks in a healthcare setting during a covid pandemic, testing to see if the masks are working, etc.

You're reading about masks on the internet.

I see your point, you may be more knowledgeable.
Ordering masks. 0.0% value. Following guidelines. 0.5% added value about how a mask works. Enforcing mask usage? 0.0% useful IMHO. Dealing with 700 people wearing masks? Not sure how that adds value. Testing to see if masks are working? How? Are you a consultant like our other poster? If so, you should have mentioned it earlier. But I bet you would not have worked hard to discuss "ordering masks and enforcing mask wearing" to prove your worth if you had actual technical knowledge on the topic.

I do understand what an Angstrom is and the meaning behind submicron particles. I can read technical papers and understand what T tables are or the meaning of p values etc. But hey, I'll yield to your mask expertise. Now that I know you order them in a pandemic setting, I submit.

Old 09-18-2020, 11:10 AM

962 posts, read 472,237 times
Quote:
But as luck would have it, we have a mask expert poster. Maybe he can expand on the topic.
I am not a "mask expert." I am just a very experienced mask user. What I know is how to find, understand, and implement the information and materials necessary to protect myself and others. This is where a technical background makes a difference. I also know that what really keeps me safe is knowing what I don't know and when it's time to dig deeper, a trait I have sadly found lacking in the general populace.

The mask experts are at NIOSH, the MSA & OSHA, ANSI, and most of all, the 3M Corporation. We could really use a 3M tech rep in here. The alphabet soup above have searchable sites and all the information you could want.

Keep it simple. We have virus particles of a certain size aerosolized in a particular vapor. The mask experts figured this stuff out long ago.

Plenty of info on the differences between types of masks. The opening paragraph from a NIOSH article:

Quote:
Respirators and surgical masks are widely used in healthcare settings. Both types of personal protective equipment (PPE) can be used for infection control; however, only respirators can be used for respiratory protection against airborne chemical hazards. Because both, respirators and surgical masks, are used in healthcare settings, it is important that employers and workers understand the differences between them.1-3 A respirator is designed to protect the wearer from inhaling airborne contaminants such as dusts, fumes, vapors, and infectious agents associated with inhaling small and large particle droplets; guidance on appropriate selection and use is covered by OSHA’s respiratory protection and PPE standards.4-5 In comparison, a surgical mask only provides barrier protection against large-particle droplets and does not effectively filter inhaled small particles, fumes, or vapors.
Quote:
I am not allowed to wear an N95 mask, per federal/state guidelines, or I would. Billions of people all over the world are being protected by surgical masks so for anyone to state that they don't provide the wearer protection is nonsense.
I said they provide little protection, not none. Inadequate to fully protect the mask wearer alone. Not being allowed to wear N95 respirators just sounds stupid. Is this a recent rule based on cost / supply issues, or has it always been the case?

Quote:
I said when I'm not around people, I pull my sh*tty piece of cloth down around my neck. When I see someone walking down the aisle, I pull it back up.

Better than leaving it down, but personally if I saw that, I'd skip that aisle for a bit.

Old 09-18-2020, 11:29 AM

26,240 posts, read 49,129,254 times
Let's be gentle to one another, civility is always in fashion.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 09-18-2020, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Bravo Sir, well said. What a refreshing and PERFECT approach to moderating a forum.

Old 09-18-2020, 01:01 PM

26,240 posts, read 49,129,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Quote:
Bravo Sir, well said. What a refreshing and PERFECT approach to moderating a forum.
Thank you. Truth is, all we have is each other. I wear a mask not only for me, but for the woman who loves me, for you, and for those I bitterly disagree with in these forums. We are in this mess together, we have to fend for ourselves, and no matter what comes next, we have to be our brother's keeper. Best to all.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area