Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2021, 05:25 PM

8,045 posts, read 12,275,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
Doting grandmother here and I understand both sides. Obviously, the little one has been taught manners because he asked before petting the dog. More kids than we could count never get that far in the training stage. But, I do believe it was a legitimate request for the child to have on a mask before getting that close. One of my daughters is rabid about her "fur babies" and I respect that, though not particularly my way. I would/could be very defensive about anything a child does that is not outright outrageous but I can see the wisdom and logic in the request.

Good luck and good that you have the little one out in the fresh air and exercising.
I'm opposed to mask mandates from government bodies because that should be left up to the business establishments to make their own rules. I do think it's a good idea to wear masks when out in public as a form of common courtesy right now, and that should include everybody regardless of age group. Makes no sense to exempt children under a certain age, especially when they can easily be some of the most rampant virus spreaders around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2021, 07:37 AM

525 posts, read 539,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
I'm opposed to mask mandates from government bodies because that should be left up to the business establishments to make their own rules. I do think it's a good idea to wear masks when out in public as a form of common courtesy right now, and that should include everybody regardless of age group. Makes no sense to exempt children under a certain age, especially when they can easily be some of the most rampant virus spreaders around.

Have you ever tried putting a mask on a 2 year old before and make them keep it on? Kids under 6 wearing a mask create more germs wearing a mask than without. Trust me. They sneeze in them, lick them, use them as slingshots etc. etc. Kids under 6 are NOT transmitting Covid nor dying at rates even close to what is occurring with those over 18. I know you don't want to believe that, but feelings don't trump facts.

Old 01-02-2021, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
You miss the point. The county ordinance says anyone 5 and over should be masked when they are not social distancing in public places. That means YOU and your children. Following the law in this case teaches respect for the health of others. People wearing cloth masks, even BIG ones, have little protection from people who are unmasked. One needs N95s for that. So your child could very well give those people a case if he were infected likely asymptomatically at that age. The people were being "sweet" in explaining that he might give the dog the virus. Kids relate better to that.
Actually it's 6 and older but I digress....

Old 01-02-2021, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
Funny little story. I took my family to the Gilbert Riparian Preserve yesterday. If you've never been there, it's basically a bunch of ponds and walking trails to look at wildlife. The thing is pretty big (110 acres and over 4 miles of trails). There were about 20 cars in the parking lot, so not a lot of people compared to the size of this place.

Well, we were walking and this young couple (probably mid-twenties), wearing the largest masks I've ever seen, were walking their dog. My little six year boy asks them if he could pet the dog. The girl (she/her I presume) asks if my son has a mask because she doesn't want her dog to get Covid. My wife and I just stared in disbelief. Wife finally asks if she is serious, and her response was "this is my furbaby, yes I'm serious."

Is this really what some people have turned to? My God, the fear has really gotten to some people. Be careful if you are out feeding birds, I wouldn't want that pigeon to get Covid.
There are some people who let fear dictate everything. There are some people who use no common sense. The chances of a 6 year old transmitting Covid to a dog in the space of 1 minute, OUTSIDE is so low it's laughable. Some of these posts are just ludicrous. Maybe they should be putting a mask on their dog if they are that worried.

Old 01-02-2021, 08:06 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,923,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belgirl View Post
Some of these posts are just ludicrous. Maybe they should be putting a mask on their dog if they are that worried.
I'd Pay to see that one!

Old 01-02-2021, 08:36 AM

1,695 posts, read 1,277,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belgirl View Post
There are some people who let fear dictate everything. There are some people who use no common sense. The chances of a 6 year old transmitting Covid to a dog in the space of 1 minute, OUTSIDE is so low it's laughable. Some of these posts are just ludicrous. Maybe they should be putting a mask on their dog if they are that worried.
Exactly. Petting a dog for 15 seconds and all of a sudden Covid is being passed along to a dog outside. The fear mongering is truly ridiculous. But that's how these people operate. Just keep living your life and use common sense.

Old 01-02-2021, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
I don’t know what my “type” is, but based on the “story” shared, it would seem we could all use an outside perspective. Sometimes, it’s difficult to see our err when so dead set on being the victim of a situation. If only COVID-common sense had been exercised your boy would have pet the dog and everyone would be happy. I don’t see what’s so difficult here.
Godless, childless, and narcissistic. So yeah, that's a hard no on parenting advice from you.

Old 01-02-2021, 09:03 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,654,639 times
Quote:
Exactly. Petting a dog for 15 seconds and all of a sudden Covid is being passed along to a dog outside. The fear mongering is truly ridiculous. But that's how these people operate. Just keep living your life and use common sense.
As others have pointed out, they were probably just trying to relate to a child more so than having an actual fear of the dog contracting it. They probably didn’t want to trigger the parents (too late) over the lack of manners displayed by approaching a stranger without a mask on and were trying to be delicate. People are so easily offended it’s ridiculous, but these posts are clear proof that they needed to walk on eggshells. Again, I don’t think others would want your maskless kid coughing on their dog either. You and your boy were in the wrong here. It’s no big deal to just accept that and move on. Next time he’ll wear a mask, you won’t be offended, and everyone will be happy. Love thy neighbor.

Old 01-02-2021, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
As others have pointed out, they were probably just trying to relate to a child more so than having an actual fear of the dog contracting it. They probably didn’t want to trigger the parents (too late) over the lack of manners displayed by approaching a stranger without a mask on and were trying to be delicate. People are so easily offended it’s ridiculous, but these posts are clear proof that they needed to walk on eggshells. Again, I don’t think others would want your maskless kid coughing on their dog either. You and your boy were in the wrong here. It’s no big deal to just accept that and move on. Next time he’ll wear a mask, you won’t be offended, and everyone will be happy. Love thy neighbor.
Did I ever say I was offended? I said it was a funny story. My wife and I laughed about it. Never once was I offended. Nice try, though.

Old 01-02-2021, 09:23 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,654,639 times
Quote:
Did I ever say I was offended? I said it was a funny story. My wife and I laughed about it. Never once was I offended. Nice try, though.
Of course you were. You took to this forum in an attempt to make fun of them because you didn’t like how they treated your son after he disregarded COVID courtesy, then lashing out (publicly and via private message) after posters shared the counterpoint. A missed opportunity all around to take a step back and say, “you know, maybe they were right.” Regardless, had he been taught proper boundaries and expectations during this weird situation, the whole “story” would have been avoided. I’m pretty sure at six, kids can learn to adapt. It just seems like a missed opportunity, but nothing to get all worked up about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area