Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2020, 07:55 PM

39,093 posts, read 51,283,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
I wouldn't think you would stoop so low as to say something about my child, but I should have known better.

And respect about what. He asked her, respectfully, if he could pet the dog. I don't see the problem in that.
You miss the point. The county ordinance says anyone 5 and over should be masked when they are not social distancing in public places. That means YOU and your children. Following the law in this case teaches respect for the health of others. People wearing cloth masks, even BIG ones, have little protection from people who are unmasked. One needs N95s for that. So your child could very well give those people a case if he were infected likely asymptomatically at that age. The people were being "sweet" in explaining that he might give the dog the virus. Kids relate better to that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2020, 08:36 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,284,926 times
"Largest mask I've ever seen". Didn't someone else use that phrase recently to poke fun at someone being precautious? If memory serves, he has moving trucks coming in three weeks.

Old 12-31-2020, 11:14 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,658,132 times
Quote:
I wouldn't think you would stoop so low as to say something about my child, but I should have known better.

And respect about what. He asked her, respectfully, if he could pet the dog. I don't see the problem in that.
You brought him up. I was just responding to your “story”. No stooping.

Respect about what? How about not approaching people during a pandemic while not wearing a mask? That’d be a good start. Seems like a missed opportunity to teach the kid some manners during these odd times.

And yeah, just how big were these masks? I thought they were all the same size but you managed to find people with giants masks? Wow, what a story!

Old 01-01-2021, 08:30 AM

1,695 posts, read 1,279,811 times
Your type of people are something special. I’ll just leave it at that. A lot of keyboard warriors here. You wouldn’t dare call my kid a Petri dish to my face because you know in the real world you would suffer consequences. But it’s fine, keep on living your miserable life.

Old 01-01-2021, 09:04 AM

210 posts, read 156,912 times
Dogs and cats have been diagnosed with and died from Covid, so the woman wanting to protect her pet from the virus seems perfectly reasonable to me. Not sure why you are so offended by the idea of your child wearing a mask to protect others.

Old 01-01-2021, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Your type of people are something special. I’ll just leave it at that. A lot of keyboard warriors here. You wouldn’t dare call my kid a Petri dish to my face because you know in the real world you would suffer consequences. But it’s fine, keep on living your miserable life.
Of course I would. Kids are walking Petri dishes. Nothing to take such offense to but I guess I forget how easily offended people get these days(!). This thread is about COVID and the “story” was a perfect example of what not to do as everyone is trying to maintain their own COVID precautions. Instead of being so offended that the couple didn’t want your unmasked boy near them, why not take it as an opportunity to teach him about doing his part to protect others? You seemed to have been more interested in making fun of them. Empathy and respect can be taught at a young age and I’m sure the couple would have loved for him to pet their dog, had he exhibited either, given these weird times.

Old 01-01-2021, 09:57 AM

1,695 posts, read 1,279,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Of course I would. Kids are walking Petri dishes. Nothing to take such offense to but I guess I forget how easily offended people get these days(!). This thread is about COVID and the “story” was a perfect example of what not to do as everyone is trying to maintain their own COVID precautions. Instead of being so offended that the couple didn’t want your unmasked boy near them, why not take it as an opportunity to teach him about doing his part to protect others? You seemed to have been more interested in making fun of them. Empathy and respect can be taught at a young age and I’m sure the couple would have loved for him to pet their dog, had he exhibited either, given these weird times.
Thanks, but I don’t need parenting advice from your type.

Old 01-01-2021, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Thanks, but I don’t need parenting advice from your type.
I don’t know what my “type” is, but based on the “story” shared, it would seem we could all use an outside perspective. Sometimes, it’s difficult to see our err when so dead set on being the victim of a situation. If only COVID-common sense had been exercised your boy would have pet the dog and everyone would be happy. I don’t see what’s so difficult here.

Old 01-01-2021, 11:38 AM

26,229 posts, read 49,095,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Yep, let the private sector do what they do best. An excellent example in favor of limited government.
Sort of. Private sector retail-level pharmacies are not examples of limited government. They reflect a long standing legal stance that government does not belong in the private sector commercial "lane" while the private sector does not belong doing functions that belong in the governmental "lane" (Defense, etc).

When I worked in DoD transportation matters we hired commercial truckers, bus lines, etc, for most movements of things and people over 100 miles. It was DoD policy that 100+ miles was the demarcation point which we considered to be the "lane" for commercial for-hire transportation. Under 100 miles the DoD bases were free to either use their own in-house government transport means or hire commercial firms.

Terms like limited government, good government, right-sized government, etc, are subject to discussion as are determinations of what is in the government "lane" and what isn't. I participated in personnel reviews to determine which functions are governmental in nature and which ones were commercial in nature and could be contracted out. I remember discussing whether the gate guards at the USMA in West Point, NY should be "Fat rent-a-cops like Paul Blart" or sharp looking soldiers in uniform since the gate at West Point is often the public's first view of the military. I lost that argument and they went with rental guards. There are Federal laws that require these reviews as Federal policy is to keep its nose out of the commercial "lane" in most cases.

The COVID vaccines need to get into the hands of retail pharmacy operations asap who can use the already established priority scheme to notify people that vaccines are now available and visits may now be scheduled. Walgreens and BC/BS know my age and health issues which is all the info they need to place me in the correct priority group (1A, 1B, 1C, etc).
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-01-2021, 02:49 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,640,204 times
Doting grandmother here and I understand both sides. Obviously, the little one has been taught manners because he asked before petting the dog. More kids than we could count never get that far in the training stage. But, I do believe it was a legitimate request for the child to have on a mask before getting that close. One of my daughters is rabid about her "fur babies" and I respect that, though not particularly my way. I would/could be very defensive about anything a child does that is not outright outrageous but I can see the wisdom and logic in the request.

Good luck and good that you have the little one out in the fresh air and exercising.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area