Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2020, 09:54 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,689,830 times

Advertisements

I was in Costco yesterday and mask compliance was 100% minus one. The butcher asked the one idiot to put their mask back on and they complied. No big deal. Regardless of the anecdotes, I think most people get it by now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2020, 07:58 AM

525 posts, read 542,014 times
And in today's headlines: https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...eaders/616669/

Schools are not super-spreaders. "Our data on almost 200,000 kids in 47 states from the last two weeks of September revealed an infection rate of 0.13 percent among students and 0.24 percent among staff."

Old 10-12-2020, 12:01 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,746,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belgirl View Post

Schools are not super-spreaders. "Our data on almost 200,000 kids in 47 states from the last two weeks of September revealed an infection rate of 0.13 percent among students and 0.24 percent among staff."
Good to know.

Old 12-02-2020, 11:10 PM

8,048 posts, read 12,311,825 times
Update on the COVID situation with Ducey making an announcement today. Despite the reported cases & deaths increasing, Arizona is looking a little bit better than we did over the summer as far as how we rank compared to other states. I believe in June & July, we were in the top 5, but now we're 15th ranked.

https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2020...aps-and-cases/

I have to say that I'm more confident in Ducey's response now compared to his previous actions. He correctly stated that we need to focus on accountability and focus on the safety precautions in place (wearing masks, socially distancing, etc.). Thankfully, there are no plans for another mandatory shutdown or curfew!

Old 12-03-2020, 06:25 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,987,747 times
Relative to other states were not as bad but in raw numbers were past our worst peak and moving upwards quickly. Deaths are higher than before.

Hospitals are converting floors back to COVID units. SHTF in about two weeks at this rate

Old 12-04-2020, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Relative to other states were not as bad but in raw numbers were past our worst peak and moving upwards quickly. Deaths are higher than before.
Yes, we are now on another upward swing, which is concerning. It was thought early on that heat would help reduce the spread of the virus, but this turned out to be completely untrue based on how our numbers were spiking during the summer. One speculation is dry air helps makes viruses more contagious, and we've certainly been in a long dry spell since April. Our "wonderful climate" isn't helping in this regard. In fact, it might have contributed to the problem.

https://airtecsolutions.com/blog/air...ir-this-is-why

Quote:
Hospitals are converting floors back to COVID units. SHTF in about two weeks at this rate
St. Luke's was revamped in order to serve as a backup hospital, but it still remains unused while other hospitals are nearing capacity once again. Does this make any sense???

In any case, the last thing we need to do is copy California and impose more lockdowns & curfews. Ducey apparently figured out that all the mandatory shutdowns & shelter in places orders are hurting businesses & causing more hardship for people than the virus itself is. Have the shutdowns stopped the COVID spread? I think we all know the answer to that.

Old 12-04-2020, 09:23 PM

39,125 posts, read 51,388,584 times
Quote:

We are now at the point we were this summer when Ducey took action to close some businesses. Since that apparently is not going to happen this time and with all the snowbirds in town, we can expect to go higher, maybe much higher in the next month. There are only a little more than 100 ICU beds left in the entire state. Refrigerated trucks to hold the bodies have been ordered. It won't be just covids, but other things like cardiac, stroke and accidents who will be designated DNR or denied treatment because of shortages of beds and staff.

Old 12-05-2020, 03:16 PM

30,277 posts, read 11,920,448 times
Quote:

So if you do the math, pardon me I am doing this on the fly. There are 50 million students, I know not all are in classrooms now. .13% would be 65,000 kids tested positive for the virus during that time. In late September there were about 35,000 reported new cases a day. Yesterday we were at 230,000. So that means now in two weeks 500,000 kids got the virus and potentially spread it to their parents and others? I would also say that since kids usually do not show symptoms the 500,000 number is probably very very low from reality.

Last edited by Oklazona Bound; 12-05-2020 at 04:00 PM..

Old 12-06-2020, 07:01 PM

525 posts, read 542,014 times
It's household spread that is one of the major problems. The cases in schools reflect this. The kids aren't passing it to each other, they are getting Covid from home. And once it hits a household, it's very hard to contain. Which is why a mask mandate only does so much. I think people are also having household parties-one of my friends got invited to an anniversary party at someone's house--no masks, no social distancing and they said "No way."

Old 12-07-2020, 05:37 PM

Quote:
It's household spread that is one of the major problems. The cases in schools reflect this. The kids aren't passing it to each other, they are getting Covid from home. And once it hits a household, it's very hard to contain. Which is why a mask mandate only does so much. I think people are also having household parties-one of my friends got invited to an anniversary party at someone's house--no masks, no social distancing and they said "No way."
There have been different theories about kids and COVID, but a report on WebMD indicates that children are just as likely to be COVID spreaders as adults (if not more so). I tend to agree with this. Why wouldn't children pass it to each other or onto adults outside of their households? Kids are germ factories as it is. You might be surprised at how contagious they can be, and how far bacteria from their sneezes & coughs can travel.

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/2020...19-spreaders#1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area