Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2021, 07:31 AM

39,125 posts, read 51,388,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by keninaz View Post
I see now that according to CBS news that LA County EMS types are told not to transport people that are in really bad shape and not likely to survive.
Couple that with the fact that AZ is now again number one in the nation with Covid and I wonder how long it may be before a similar order may be given in the Phoenix metro area.
It won't be long given the rate of cases in Arizona and all the vulnerable snowbirds that will make things even worse. We have not even seen the Christmas surge and they are down to a relative handful of beds. It does not seem out of the question that you might not get treatment even if you are likely to survive. It did not have to get to this point. Ducey tried to wish this away. He is no different than Noem in South Dakota in his handling of it - just a little more lip service to social distancing masks while his kid is out partying and he is personally violating his own recommendations. But hey, he and Cara got the vaccine as an "example" to those of us who can't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2021, 10:19 AM

3,062 posts, read 6,715,380 times
Add to that the age factor. So many of us are older retirees that live here for the great climate.
More people at risk.
I know that it all depends on supply but I cannot find anyone that can tell me even approximately when I will be able to get vaccinated.

Old 01-06-2021, 09:10 AM

872 posts, read 1,003,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Ducey isn't the best, and I've acknowledged this before, but blaming him exclusively for the high rate of COVID cases is ridiculous. Los Angeles has tighter restrictions than here, yet they are another hard hit location which seems to have gotten more national attention. Should Newsom be blamed? Maybe focus on what's causing the spike, and the actions we can take. It could easily be the weather conditions playing a part: dry air causes viruses to spread at a faster rate, and our dirty air on top of it could be adding fuel to the fire.

Again, if hospitals are at full capacity, St. Luke's needs to be reopened as a backup facility. You've indicated previously that it's not open due to staffing issues ... however, if Phoenix is once again a hot spot, then more effort needs to be placed on bringing in more skilled medical staff. There are things that can be done to help mitigate the situation without forcing more shutdowns & causing economic hardship.
Agreed

I always wonder what the people who blame local/fed government constantly would do if in a position of power? Lock everything down heavily like UK and NY and LA? Oh wait it isn't working. Do nothing? Maybe it works. Sure, the government has done bad and some good in the response since March. I think it's funny how people fell for the lies of 15 days to stop the spread and stay home and wear mask to help hospitals. Then it's keep lockdown again and it will slow and stop. It kept evolving, not because we were messing it up but because there was never an actual end goal or target. SO they could keep moving the goal posts on us.

We are seeing a DISEASE spread like it's supposed to. Locking everyone down will not stop it but delay the inevitable. Unless we lock people inside and arrest those who violate rules-which is happening and highly unethical and unconstitutional, we need to accept this virus is another endemic seasonal flu. Stop looking for Ducey and others to save us because NONE of them will. Live your life and have common sense. If people go out and do whatever, that's their own business. Stop this culture of tattle-tales running around policing people. Stop reading the news which feeds of your fear and concern. They play with numbers and stats so much I can't believe I used to be one of those neurotic people who checked the deaths and counts every day

Old 01-06-2021, 09:23 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,689,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnvlv247 View Post
Agreed

I always wonder what the people who blame local/fed government constantly would do if in a position of power? Lock everything down heavily like UK and NY and LA? Oh wait it isn't working. Do nothing? Maybe it works. Sure, the government has done bad and some good in the response since March. I think it's funny how people fell for the lies of 15 days to stop the spread and stay home and wear mask to help hospitals. Then it's keep lockdown again and it will slow and stop. It kept evolving, not because we were messing it up but because there was never an actual end goal or target. SO they could keep moving the goal posts on us.

We are seeing a DISEASE spread like it's supposed to. Locking everyone down will not stop it but delay the inevitable. Unless we lock people inside and arrest those who violate rules-which is happening and highly unethical and unconstitutional, we need to accept this virus is another endemic seasonal flu. Stop looking for Ducey and others to save us because NONE of them will. Live your life and have common sense. If people go out and do whatever, that's their own business. Stop this culture of tattle-tales running around policing people. Stop reading the news which feeds of your fear and concern. They play with numbers and stats so much I can't believe I used to be one of those neurotic people who checked the deaths and counts every day
Fortunately the majority of our leaders and citizens don’t have this weak, defeatist attitude. We don’t need to surrender to this. Victory is in sight if people would just be respectful, empathetic, and responsible for a bit longer. That shouldn’t be a big ask.

Old 01-06-2021, 09:36 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,935,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Victory is in sight if people would just be respectful, empathetic, and responsible for a bit longer.
what's YOUR definition of "victory"?

Old 01-06-2021, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
what's YOUR definition of "victory"?
Is that an actual question? What does victory against a pandemic mean? What do you think?

Old 01-06-2021, 09:49 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,935,370 times
Quote:
Is that an actual question? What does victory against a pandemic mean? What do you think?
I have no clue what a "victory" against a pandemic entails, so why do you enlighten me?

YOU said a "victory in within site"; define what that SPECIFICALLY would mean..no more cases? no more deaths? no more hospitalizations? what?

Old 01-06-2021, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
I have no clue what a "victory" against a pandemic entails, so why do you enlighten me?

YOU said a "victory in within site"; define what that SPECIFICALLY would mean..no more cases? no more deaths? no more hospitalizations? what?
No, I said victory is in “sight”. As in, we can see victory. We have vaccines with 90+% efficacy. COVID will eventually go the way of smallpox, polio, and others. Where does the confusion lie?

Old 01-06-2021, 06:21 PM

8,048 posts, read 12,311,825 times
Quote:
Fortunately the majority of our leaders and citizens don’t have this weak, defeatist attitude. We don’t need to surrender to this. Victory is in sight if people would just be respectful, empathetic, and responsible for a bit longer. That shouldn’t be a big ask.
The only defeatist attitude is from the arrogant politicians who think putting us all on lockdowns and restricting commerce is going to solve the problem. We've already tried this here last spring, and it didn't work. Government mandates are ineffective. Maricopa County has a mask ordinance in place, but COVID cases keep increasing.

Here's what it comes down to in no particular order:
* Some people are just plain stupid and won't wear masks or take the necessary precautions. If they get the virus, it's likely their own doing.
* Others are more vulnerable to illnesses due to underlying medical conditions, and no ordinances are going to change that.
* Weather/climatic conditions I believe are playing a part. Viruses thrive more readily in dry air/low humidity, which could explain why both Arizona & southern CA are COVID hot spots right now. What can we do about this, other than curse La Niña and hope for more rain which we need badly?
* Vaccines are in the works, but a certain percentage will refuse them. Just like measles, polio, or influenza, there will always be the anti vax types among us. The ignoramuses will likely bear the brunt of these illnesses and die off first. It's called survival of the fittest. No amount of policing will save everybody.

Old 01-06-2021, 06:33 PM

26,270 posts, read 49,193,517 times
VN, I thought the early lockdowns did work, IIRC they really did flatten the first curve, then around Memorial Day some places caved in to the "open up" mantra of some pols and then cases rose again. The "party till you puke" crowd insisted on mass events at Sturgis, SD, and having Halloween parties and gatherings at Thanksgiving and now the hospitals are buried under the case load.

Yes, I think the dry winter air may play a part; sinus linings dry out, crack open, and let cold, flu and coronavirus droplets penetrate the skin barrier that usually protects us. I have a humidifier in the house and on my cpap machine and saline spray to boot.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 01-06-2021 at 07:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area