Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2023, 11:09 AM

13,739 posts, read 7,999,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Okay. I had covid. To prevent others from getting it, I isolated for the first 5 days as recommended. Since then -- to prevent others from getting it -- I have double-masked. I have done everything I could do to protect myself, and, if I did get covid, to prevent others from catching it from me.

This is not brain surgery.

I know two fellows who caught Covid and told it was like a bad flu. They stayed home for several days and then...back to work. They couldn't afford the time off. . They had to work and I could relate.

In 2011 I was up to my eyeballs in debt. If I left, I would have lost my investments and ended up back home standing in the unemployment line. So, I stayed.
https://www.independent.co.uk/travel...t-2245567.html

But...the AC vendor who didn't quarantine, who entered people’s homes shortly after catching Covid wasn’t telling the homeowner. He was putting them at risk. Maybe but I suspect there were many people like that. People who got sick yet couldn't afford the time off.

Now, I never had Covid and showed rental property during the pandemic. I wore a mask but was more concerned about the distance between myself and those I was speaking with

Last edited by john3232; 09-08-2023 at 11:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2023, 11:55 AM

1,608 posts, read 2,015,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
...As a country, I'm afraid we haven't learned much of anything from that huge boondoggle. Certain politicians and their supporters still defend the actions, and this includes "experts" like Fauci. Incidentally, we all know what President approved the initial trillions in spending: the same one who rants endlessly about election fraud while a huge amount of fraud was happening with the payouts he approved. And of course, we all know which President continued the frivolous spending afterward. Both sides are to blame.
I do believe SOME help was needed, as this was unprecedented. I was okay with the first and maybe the second stimulus. But the ones after that were definitely unnecessary IMO.

Old 09-08-2023, 12:53 PM

11,058 posts, read 6,881,999 times
Quote:
Mask up. I have covid now and now of a couple of other people who have it.

Fortunately, this is not the severe type that we had for a while.

I was surprised that at the ER, most of the doctors and nurses did NOT wear masks.
What the hell? Where I live (an anti-mask state) they wear masks in hospitals and especially ER's. I hope you're ok.

Old 09-09-2023, 08:47 AM

50,812 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
What the hell? Where I live (an anti-mask state) they wear masks in hospitals and especially ER's. I hope you're ok.
I went to urgent care yesterday just to have them check my cough and lungs...both okay. Oddly enough, while in the ER few were masked, in the same company's urgent care office (just 1 mile from the hospital), they all wore masks.

Old 09-09-2023, 09:26 AM

13,248 posts, read 7,312,118 times
Quote:
I went to urgent care yesterday just to have them check my cough and lungs...both okay. Oddly enough, while in the ER few were masked, in the same company's urgent care office (just 1 mile from the hospital), they all wore masks.
Back in 2021 I had some unusual chest pain got little concerned went to Honor health ER. The waiting area was packed with sick people obviously lot of covid. If you ever been in one of those ER's you know how close the chairs are. Many were coughing and pulling down their masks some were vomiting in bags and buckets.

I could see through some glass another room with chairs one lady in there. I asked what is that room for the answer was "Oh that is for covid patients". I said what about all these people likely have covid answer was they are not confirmed covid cases which takes 3-4 days to confirm by lab testing. I sat outside had my wife bring a folding chair. This was during the time when bad strain was killing lot of people. I had 3 co-workers die from Covid during this time.

There were lot of elderly people sitting in that room who didn't have covid had other problems. Wonder how many of those were exposed to it ended up dead.

After waiting for 5-6 hours, I felt better just told them il go see my PC doc after lot of tests turned out nothing to worry about.

Last edited by kell490; 09-09-2023 at 09:37 AM..

Old 09-09-2023, 10:43 AM

11,058 posts, read 6,881,999 times
phetaroi, I hope you're ok now?

kell490, I had one good experience and one bad experience in the ER at HonorHealth Shea before it became HonorHealth. One of my doctors came in after I was admitted and apologized, however vaguely and obliquely.

Everywhere I go now in my state it says "masks optional." I think that is going to change soon. I do see more people choosing to wear a mask in a doctor's office, but it's not a lot.

Old 09-09-2023, 11:08 AM

13,248 posts, read 7,312,118 times
Quote:
phetaroi, I hope you're ok now?

kell490, I had one good experience and one bad experience in the ER at HonorHealth Shea before it became HonorHealth. One of my doctors came in after I was admitted and apologized, however vaguely and obliquely.

Everywhere I go now in my state it says "masks optional." I think that is going to change soon. I do see more people choosing to wear a mask in a doctor's office, but it's not a lot.
If someone has a raspatory illness probably a good idea to wear a mask keep the coughing contained.

ER's generally not going to be pleasant experiences I get that. When I got there, they did a chest Xray, and EKG right away. I was able to look up the results on my phone within an hour which said my tests were normal. I concluded if they were good with me waiting 5+ hours it was not an emergency.

Old 09-09-2023, 11:16 AM

8,042 posts, read 12,265,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyaw View Post
I do believe SOME help was needed, as this was unprecedented. I was okay with the first and maybe the second stimulus. But the ones after that were definitely unnecessary IMO.
COVID was something we were unprepared for, but the federal government & the media turned it into a major crisis. Although different from influenza, it was really no worse than some of the major flu outbreaks in the last century. H1N1 was a serious strain in 2009, which I caught & became pretty sick from (as did many others). Yet, I don't recall any widespread lockdown/isolation orders, or free money handed out to millions of Americans during H1N1. That would have been unnecessary & ridiculous. What we needed were vaccines, which were slow to be processed during both H1N1 & COVID. Prevention & preparedness are the solutions ... not panic, hoarding, shutting down businesses, or throwing large sums of money around freely.

Quote:
Here's where I stand on masks: the decision should be in the hands of businesses to require them or not. If a business owner wants people to mask up, then the patrons & employees need to mask up or go elsewhere. Same concept applies to wearing shirts & shoes inside a store. Many places require them, and customers can leave if they don't like it.

Old 09-10-2023, 06:15 AM

9,742 posts, read 11,163,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
COVID was something we were unprepared for, but the federal government & the media turned it into a major crisis. Although different from influenza, it was really no worse than some of the major flu outbreaks in the last century. H1N1 was a serious strain in 2009, which I caught & became pretty sick from (as did many others). Yet, I don't recall any widespread lockdown/isolation orders, or free money handed out to millions of Americans during H1N1.
The initial COVID-19 wasn't anything close to the flu. With the H1N1 (swine) flu, about 200,000 people died worldwide. Before the Omncron mutation, COVID-19 claimed many millions more deaths. Those high numbers happened with a massive lockdown.

And as a reminder, the entire world was reacting the way they were for some extremely good reasons. Originally, it was the farthest thing from the flu. Of course, for many people, it was no different. So every media and government around the world mostly behaved the same way. In hindsight, timothyaw's^^ statement was the correct approach. Using your approach, there would have been a lot of collateral damage.

If your point was that we didn't lock down in the same way during polio, that would have been a much better comparison. Some people who got polio were asymptomatic while the overwhelming majority had flu-like systems. Sound familiar? Still, during the 1940s and 1950s, polio paralyzed or killed half a million people worldwide every year. A lot less than COVID. Imagine if we used your approach and it was a free-for-all.

Old 09-10-2023, 06:44 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
I won't walk into any doctor's office without a good fitting N95. Lord knows what viruses and bacteria are there. I try not to touch anything or my face and bathe in sanitizer when I leave.

Prior to covid one felt like a fool wearing a mask and everyone who saw you figured you must be very sick or very paranoid. Now, a person can wear one whenever they feel like it, wherever they feel like it and no one, except for a handful of ignorant kooks, gives a damn. Mask choice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area