Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2020, 06:46 PM

1,696 posts, read 1,293,262 times

Advertisements

Went to QT, Home Depot, and LA Fitness today. I wear a mask everywhere I go (including the gym). I refuse to turn into a recluse, so I do normal things; however, my wife and I don't go out to eat anymore or do anything in large groups. My point is, of those three places, they all had signs everywhere saying masks were mandatory to enter. I would say about 25% of people were not wearing a mask. I overheard one obese man rambling on and on about his freedom....blah, blah, blah. Not one of those establishments were enforcing their own rule. So basically this "mandate" is just words. If businesses won't enforce it, people won't listen. The problem is, take a place like QT - what are they supposed to do? Tell 17 year old Jimmy to guard the door? Some of these places just don't have the manpower to enforce it. Some places just don't care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2020, 06:53 PM

404 posts, read 769,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
Went to QT, Home Depot, and LA Fitness today. I wear a mask everywhere I go (including the gym). I refuse to turn into a recluse, so I do normal things; however, my wife and I don't go out to eat anymore or do anything in large groups. My point is, of those three places, they all had signs everywhere saying masks were mandatory to enter. I would say about 25% of people were not wearing a mask. I overheard one obese man rambling on and on about his freedom....blah, blah, blah. Not one of those establishments were enforcing their own rule. So basically this "mandate" is just words. If businesses won't enforce it, people won't listen. The problem is, take a place like QT - what are they supposed to do? Tell 17 year old Jimmy to guard the door? Some of these places just don't have the manpower to enforce it. Some places just don't care.
A few more examples of this in the news and you'll see business enforce the requirement better:

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...es/3260449001/

Old 06-25-2020, 07:30 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,988,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
A new computer models say by July 18th the Phoenix area will have 28,000 new covid-19 cases a day. Yes 28,000.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ID-growth.html

As cases continue to rise, forecast models from the PolicyLab at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia predict infections in Phoenix will rise to a staggering 28,000 new cases a day by July 18.
That seems a bit extreme. That would mean more than half the city would have it by the end of the year

Old 06-25-2020, 07:53 PM

30,277 posts, read 11,924,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
That seems a bit extreme. That would mean more than half the city would have it by the end of the year
I think they are saying that is the peak. Their date is 23 days out. 23 days ago Maricopa County had about 200 new cases a day. Now its 2,000. If it keeps going up at this pace it will be 20,000 in 23 days. But below might explain why computer models predict such a big jump:

Some states pause reopening as virus cases near record high

https://apnews.com/778da4a2da7e5d9d12e6105c012b8cf9
In Arizona, 23% of tests conducted over the past seven days have been positive, nearly triple the national average, and a record 415 patients were on ventilators.

Old 06-25-2020, 08:31 PM

26,270 posts, read 49,193,517 times
Default How Arizona Lost Control of the Epidemic

How Arizona Lost Control of the Epidemic is the title of an article in the WaPo today.

Excerpt: "Hospitals are filling up. Restaurants are again shutting down, more than a month after Arizona reopened its economy under the mantra “Return Stronger.” Arizona has emerged as an epicenter of the early summer coronavirus crisis as the outbreak has metastasized, flaring across new parts of the country and, notably, infecting more young people. Maricopa County, which includes Phoenix, is recording as many as 2,000 cases a day, “eclipsing the New York City boroughs even on their worst days,” warned a Wednesday brief by disease trackers at Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, which observed, “Arizona has lost control of the epidemic. But physicians, public health experts, advocates and local officials say the crisis was predictable in Arizona, where local ordinances requiring masks were verboten until Gov. Doug Ducey (R) reversed course last week. State leaders did not take the necessary precautions or model safe behavior, these observers maintain, even in the face of compelling evidence and repeated pleas from authoritative voices.”"

Well, we made the national news, and not in a good way. Let's keep our fingers crossed that 3000 young people without masks at Trump's event here this week don't end up in next week's statistics.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 06-25-2020, 09:04 PM

26,270 posts, read 49,193,517 times
Thread now re-opened after cleaning up troll damage. Have at it.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 06-25-2020, 09:41 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,955,199 times
So apparently the experts were wrong as wrong could be and we never should have shut down, all it did was delay the fact that the wuhan virus has to run its course. If you are in the high risk category you should be extra careful, but for everybody else with no preexisting health issues even if you do get the virus you will be fine with a 99% survival rate. Many that get the virus do not even know they got it. Notice that the death rate is very low it is not spiking with experts saying the virus has weakened and no longer poses the same threat that it did initially but at this point I am not sure I trust any experts.

Quote:
For most people, the coronavirus causes mild or moderate symptoms, such as fever and cough that clear up in two to three weeks. But for some — especially older adults and people with existing health problems — it can cause more severe illness, including pneumonia and death.
If I got it I would immediately take hydroxy, a zpac and zinc supplements and self quarantine

Where is the HONEST media when you need them?

Quote:
Even though new coronavirus infections are rising in America and around the world, new coronavirus deaths are largely flat, a trend largely missing from most mainstream media coverage.

Last edited by autism360; 06-25-2020 at 09:58 PM..

Old 06-25-2020, 09:54 PM

13,979 posts, read 8,146,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autism360 View Post
So apparently the experts were wrong as wrong could be and we never should have shut down, all it did was delay the fact that the wuhan virus has to run its course. If you are in the high risk category you should be extra careful, but for everybody else with no preexisting health issues even if you do get the virus you will be fine with a 99% survival rate. Many that get the virus do not even know they got it. Notice that the death rate is very low it is not spiking with experts saying the virus has weakened and no longer poses the same threat that it did initially but at this point I am not sure I trust any experts.

___
I noticed that. Here's an article I read today:
https://justthenews.com/politics-pol...nts-recovering

Old 06-26-2020, 12:35 AM

962 posts, read 473,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post

Had to run some errands yesterday.

Needed cat food. PetSmart - 10 staff and 20 customers. All but 1 customer in masks. Everyone distancing.

Picked up some area rugs I had ordered. Rug store - 3 employees and 1 other customer. All in masks and distancing.

Needed a bunch of stuff from Home Depot. Bell Rd & Tatum. Drove past the garden center exit on the way into the lot - 8 people in the checkout line, only the cashier had a mask and no distancing. Parking lot was very full and busy, but got a spot near the entrance. While sitting in the car checking my list, about 15 people walked by. Only one guy had a mask and it was hanging from one ear then he took it off when he got to the entrance and noticed no one else wearing one. Sat and watched another dozen people walk by - zero masks. Decided I wasn't going in. Drove past the entrance on the way out and saw the big "Masks Required" sign.

Tried the Home Depot at Bell & Cave Creek. Parked by the door to watch and see if it was any better at this location. Same exact scene.

I figured the Home Depot customer base would encompass a fairly broad spectrum of people and compliance would be about the same as everywhere else. I did not expect zero compliance. What is it with them? Maybe I'll try Lowe's.

Old 06-26-2020, 05:10 AM

9,825 posts, read 11,237,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
I noticed that. Here's an article I read today:
https://justthenews.com/politics-pol...nts-recovering
All the while your link was patting themselves on the back with this 1st line words:
"Even though new coronavirus infections are rising in America and around the world, new coronavirus deaths are largely flat, a trend largely missing from most mainstream media coverage."

Really? I was listening to several mainstream media outlets. I was stuck in my car for a very long car ride listing to music and satellite CNN/CNBC/Fox/NPR. Every station to my knowledge mentioned this. So your link didn't need to pat themselves on the back how they are somehow, forward thinkers.

They discussed that it could be a culmination of topics including:

1. The fact that younger people are partying like it is 1999 and they have significantly less risk of dying. Therefore, diluting the death toll.
2. The possibility with exactly zero evidence that the COVID-19 virus has less potent strains weaker (weaker virus mutations don't kill off their hosts which causes the spread to be greater). It has been observed before in other viruses which could be a possibile) contributor. It's a theory and not a fact.
3. Hospital experience is getting better as we progress.

Countering this point, I stumbled on a Sirius XM "Doctor Channel". They interviewed some ER docs from NY who delicately pointed out when you are at near capacity in the ICU (we are at 90% in PHX), healthcare drops off. i.e. if you like to decrease your odds of living with complications or dying when you end up in the hospital, stay safe and don't end up in the ICU now. Never mind we are having a massive surge of young people filling the beds are as we speak. They just aren't dying as easily and the weak. He explained that resource allocation is real and the caliber of healthcare suffers. Party on!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area