Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2020, 05:48 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,671,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
And what's going to be done the next time thousands gather to protest and many aren't wearing a mask?

Nothing.

Because nothing can be done.

Like in San Francisco when the city shut down but public transportation was allowed to run because people need to get to work. O.k.

But how do you square social distance guidelines with a crowded #38 bus line?

You can't. So, city officials ignored it.
Sure you can. You can issue citations. To some, the fine won’t be a deterrent, but to many it will be. To suggest that enforcement is impossible and therefore we must do nothing doesn’t seem like the most strategic response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2020, 05:51 PM

13,888 posts, read 8,086,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Sure you can. You can issue citations. To some, the fine won’t be a deterrent, but to many it will be. To suggest that enforcement is impossible and therefore we must do nothing doesn’t seem like the most strategic response.

LOL. Who exactly is going to issue citations to those not wearing a mask at the next BLM protest?

Old 06-27-2020, 06:13 PM

Quote:
LOL. Who exactly is going to issue citations to those not wearing a mask at the next BLM protest?
A few of the hundreds of cops standing around maybe. Although you’re right that it won’t happen because then they’d have to do so at the indoor trump rallies and that ain’t happening. At least most of the BLM protesters had masks on. Either way, to suggest that we just throw our hands up in defeat and do nothing isn’t a strategy.

Old 06-27-2020, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
A few of the hundreds of cops standing around maybe. Although you’re right that it won’t happen because then they’d have to do so at the indoor trump rallies and that ain’t happening. At least most of the BLM protesters had masks on. Either way, to suggest that we just throw our hands up in defeat and do nothing isn’t a strategy.
What can be done is what's happening now. Some stores will post a security guard at the entrance to ensure customers are wearing a mask and some stores won't.

But nobody is going to crack down on the Indian reservations where the virus is reported to be spreading like wildfire.

Old 06-27-2020, 07:29 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,977,264 times
Quote:
What can be done is what's happening now. Some stores will post a security guard at the entrance to ensure customers are wearing a mask and some stores won't.

But nobody is going to crack down on the Indian reservations where the virus is reported to be spreading like wildfire.
The reservations are essentially shut down with no real time table to reopen. How does one crack down on groups more cracked down on than ourselves?

Old 06-27-2020, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
The reservations are essentially shut down with no real time table to reopen. How does one crack down on groups more cracked down on than ourselves?
I don't know but considering the Indian reservations are one of the hottest areas in the entire country maybe local public health officials might consider a much closer look.

Nabbing those entering Fry's -85205 without a mask is one thing but when are officials going to crack down in the poorer zip codes where the virus is spreading at a much higher rate? Ans: They aren't.

Because there's little if anything that can be done. You can't fine them or put poor people in jail over this.

And if you're going to attend a BLM protest or a Trump rally or hit a packed beach or have a large gathering of family and friends in the house/backyard (like my renter is having this evening...) and not wear a mask so be it.

Because we either treat everyone the same with regards to enforcement of health guidelines or forget it.

Now... should the body count starts to skyrocket. Yes, we will see local, state and Federal governments get serious fast..

But until that happens I will continue to wear a mask and wash my hands and avoid large crowds. And I suggest you do the same.

Last edited by john3232; 06-27-2020 at 08:34 PM..

Old 06-27-2020, 08:31 PM

9,820 posts, read 11,208,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
Because it wouldn't be politically correct to say so. Nothing negative can be said about the BLM protests. If you have white doctors saying BLM protests caused spikes, that would be a big no-no. Everyone has to play the game, even people with an MD at the end of their name.
Out of curiosity, why did you assume the doctors are white? That’s a big no-no. Lol

Old 06-27-2020, 08:57 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,712,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyearp View Post
And these are personal choices, at least it seems, you two are practicing your own personal responsibility; not doing so because you've been ordered by the .gov.

At least that is what I'm reading here . . . And there is not one thing wrong with that. If you feel like you should wear a mask, then go ahead. If you feel like you should isolate, well go ahead.

I am just against being treated like a child by the .gov.
It’s not a “personal choice” anymore when you (or someone you infect) ends up under the care of an “essential worker”..

There was (and is) no option to “just stay home” for essential workers beyond losing all your income, and your health insurance (during a pandemic) with a “voluntary-ish” quit.

I had to quit a job where I was being exposed to “freedom crusaders” involuntarily, at work- because my employer was spineless and my local government was also spineless - which put me (and my patients) in danger of getting the virus, all because of a few jerks who wouldn’t wear masks in a healthcare setting - and corporate squids who valued profit over the health of their patients and staff. Those who made that decision were safely “working from home”, and thus immune from the consequences of their actions.

That’s *why* I’m in favor of the government “treating you like a child”. We can’t count on employers to do the right thing, as evidenced by this entire fiasco. I’m told the n-95’s are still safely locked up at my old employer. Several of my former patients are dead of covid.

Enjoy your freedumb, but I’d advise against exercising that first-amendment right in person, as you may not realize who has been affected by this, and how significantly. One of my neighbors is an essential worker, and she’s been living in a camper in her driveway for months already, with no end in sight.

The internet is a safe-space for idiocy, but in the real world - people can shorten your nose when that freedumb affects their lives and livelihoods.

Old 06-27-2020, 09:02 PM

Time to shut the churches down. I guess they didn’t get in on the magic air purifier.

https://www.abc15.com/news/region-ph...e-for-covid-19

Old 06-27-2020, 09:04 PM

1,695 posts, read 1,285,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
I already posted in this very thread that of course they spread it around a bit, many weren't wearing masks, one person argued with me. But the question is, was it really enough to move the needle? Probably not. I would put more blame on people like you that decided to go out to eat in a dine-in restaurant during a pandemic,. carelessly breathing all of that recirculated air vs groups largely outdoors. There's definitely SUBSTANTIALLY MORE people in restaurants and bars and shopping centers without masks than there were protestors on the streets. The fact is, you and Sno are trying to politicize this by not recognizing that but instead pointing out a group that doesn't agree with your ideology and assigning the blame to them.
Politicize? No. Just giving my opinion based on observation. Isn't that what a random forum is all about? Or are we all just supposed to follow your lead?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area