Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2020, 04:58 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,666,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by belgirl View Post
I'm not sure what you aren't understanding. The Feds are classifying all coronavirus patient deaths as 'COVID-19' regardless of any other issues. That is FACT not anecdotal. Just because you don't want to believe it doesn't make it false.
Again, COVID-19 is being listed as a contributor to death if it did so. Death certs list multiple causes of death. If someone dies from pneumonia as a result of COVID-19, pneumonia will be listed and then COVID-19. There’s no conspiracy, coverup or any other nefarious activity going on to inflate death counts, regardless of what you “heard”. This isn’t a conspiracy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2020, 05:45 PM

525 posts, read 540,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Again, COVID-19 is being listed as a contributor to death if it did so. Death certs list multiple causes of death. If someone dies from pneumonia as a result of COVID-19, pneumonia will be listed and then COVID-19. There’s no conspiracy, coverup or any other nefarious activity going on to inflate death counts, regardless of what you “heard”. This isn’t a conspiracy.
Did i say it was a conspiracy? Not once have I used the word "conspiracy." Did I say it was a "coverup?" Not once did I say it was a coverup. If you would actually read what I and other people have posted instead of inferring it would make these threads alot shorter.

Old 04-18-2020, 05:55 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,103,483 times
Quote:
Did i say it was a conspiracy? Not once have I used the word "conspiracy." Did I say it was a "coverup?" Not once did I say it was a coverup. If you would actually read what I and other people have posted instead of inferring it would make these threads alot shorter.
If you cared about shortening threads, you probably could have simply responded to the post instead of literally arguing semantics with Detroit. Or if you have nothing to say, maybe don't click "Post reply". That'll shorten threads too.

You're the only one on here who's simply combative to no end. MN and Burning, for instance, have some overlap with you philosophically, and yet you're the only one that seems to not be able to take in any new information that wasn't a part of your original talking point (most of which is seemingly hijacked from state-run cable news television). Re-read them and take note of how they discuss these issues because maybe it'll help you get along with people better.

Old 04-18-2020, 05:56 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,666,532 times
Quote:
You’re suggesting that death counts are being inflated. For what purpose? Why would that be? It’s inaccurate, but surely you’re at least trying to get at something here.

Old 04-18-2020, 11:43 PM

Adding presumed Covid-19 cases to the confirmed death count is a bad idea and muddies the waters. I don't think it's a conspiracy; I think it's bad policy. Boosting the number of deaths based on presumption (as New York did on Tuesday) creates the appearance that Covid-19 is much more fatal than it might be.

Old 04-18-2020, 11:57 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,974,660 times
Quote:
Adding presumed Covid-19 cases to the confirmed death count is a bad idea and muddies the waters. I don't think it's a conspiracy; I think it's bad policy. Boosting the number of deaths based on presumption (as New York did on Tuesday) creates the appearance that Covid-19 is much more fatal than it might be.
Is it your contention that they were gonna die anyway?

Old 04-19-2020, 12:30 AM

2,775 posts, read 5,734,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post

Won't speak for that poster but since I posted a WP story I'll quote it with what I think is strange behavior. From the article (I didn't confirm with the CDC site):

"The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention updated its website this week to explicitly say that cases where the infection was not confirmed by a test may now be counted."

I'm guessing this might be why NYC added almost 4000 to their count but removed them.

Old 04-19-2020, 04:59 AM

9,807 posts, read 11,200,038 times
I was chatting with a Cardiologist doc customer of mine last night who lives in Indiana. The hospital he works for furloughed 400 employees. For him specifically, he explained he wasn't furloughed. Rather, a rolling 2 weeks on and 1 week off rotation. Even when he is working, he is at the hospital for a mere 4-5 hours as opposed to his usual ten. Because of it, they also all took temporary pay cuts in combo with the hospital suspended retirement contributions. Why? Well, he said their hospital is nearly empty. And even with their cutbacks, they are still losing about 20 million a month.

Now for the interesting part. Their Republican governor had them prepare for 800 inpatient COVID patients per day. This is for a 550 bed hospital mind you. So they beefed up their infrastructure with make-shift beds and rescheduling any non-emergency procedure. He also explained that people are scared to go to the hospital which is a big reason why they are so empty. So far, the most COVID patience they have gotten in per day has been is in the mid-teens! Or so far, a whopping 785 beds too many!

The bottom line is that the COVID models have been waaaaay off. And what might be the end conclusion is our government has set-up a disastrous public policy. Hence, I understand the public pressure that is mounting to open things up. At the same token what NYC went though was a wake-up call even when it was mitigated through social distancings bring their economy to its knees. The how and why to what is actually going on is rightly being questioned. It won't be known until we have DATA!

I assumed his hospital could not be alone. So I did a quick google and it produced links like this: In Dallas 3,400 hospital employees were furloughed https://www.dallasnews.com/business/...ive-surgeries/ This link discusses 140 hospitals are doing the same https://www.beckershospitalreview.co...-covid-19.html

I prefer to look at what is going on with open eyes. I'm not on a "team". So while NYC and various other pockets around the world have taught us this virus can be incredibly destructive, there are other signs that suggest this isn't remotely as bad as we thought. So the more I try to learn, the more confused I get all the while we are bleeding money as a country. Big picture, your damned if you do and damned if you don't.

What all of us finally know is that the data is pointing towards the type of person who has MUCH higher risks. I say those people need to continue to social distance themselves. And we open LARGE pockets of less at-risk people and get the economy going. If people have the means and desire to avoid nearly all people via social distancing to an extreme, they should. I'll personally take that approach.

Maybe one day we will actually get some data to proceed in a much smarter way. But one thing is for sure, it's going to get a lot more economically bloody if a decision isn't made how to proceed: sooner than later.

Old 04-19-2020, 05:15 AM

9,807 posts, read 11,200,038 times
On another note, I went to pick something up at BB (curbside trunk delivery). I drove through Lowes parking lot in Surprise. The parking lot was PACKED. Maybe 5% of the people were wearing masks. But what struck me even more odd was the number of elderly people that were walking out of the store. I sat in my car watching for a while. I was floored.

I guess some people who are at a much higher risk just aren't afraid. Or maybe they are just too damn stupid to understand they are playing with fire. I'm going with the latter. So when I hear of an older person perish from COVID excluding a nursing home), I'm only going to feel bad for the doctors and nurses on the frontline who have to put their life on the line. Not for someone who doesn't respect risk-aversion. After all, Lowes "implemented a more robust curbside pickup process, so customers can be served without having to come inside the store." https://newsroom.lowes.com/inside-lo...tial-retailer/

Old 04-19-2020, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
I think there are several things at play. One is what Burning Madolf quoted from the WP article concerning presumed cases: "Well, we THINK they died of COVID-19 but we didn't do a test." Presumed cases should not be lumped in with confirmed, in my opinion. Secondly, you have those who are in hospice (who one of nursing friends works with) who were going to die in a month, got COVID-19 and then they are lumped in as COVID-19 statistic. That one is a little trickier, but it still inflates or obfuscates (whatever word you want to use) the death count. People freak out when they see 161,000 deaths in the world, but stats need context, which people rarely see.

Do I think there is a "left-wing media conspiracy?" No. Do I think the media uses these raw numbers to amp up the fear? Sure do.

Last edited by belgirl; 04-19-2020 at 05:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area