Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2020, 02:42 PM

8,046 posts, read 12,290,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
While I was critical of Ducey, it seems as though he would have hurt more businesses if they took an early CA approach. So it seems he was right (even by accident).
At first, I thought Ducey was on the right track ... until he caved in due to pressure about the salons. He listed hair salons as essential services, and he was absolutely right. Then he wimped out because of the backlash and ordered all salons to close. What he and the naysayers don't realize is that hair salons ARE essential. Many elderly & disabled people rely on them for their shampoos & cuts ... for health reasons because many of them can't do it themselves. This created a huge disservice for many people. What the hell business is it of any governing body to deem something "essential" or "non essential" anyway? We've reached the point where we're allowing our so called leaders to act as dictators.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2020, 02:51 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,290,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valley native View Post
at first, i thought ducey was on the right track ... Until he caved in due to pressure about the salons. He listed hair salons as essential services, and he was absolutely right. Then he wimped out because of the backlash and ordered all salons to close. What he and the naysayers don't realize is that hair salons are essential. Many elderly & disabled people rely on them for their shampoos & cuts ... For health reasons because many of them can't do it themselves. This created a huge disservice for many people. What the hell business is it of any governing body to deem something "essential" or "non essential" anyway? We've reached the point where we're allowing our so called leaders to act as dictators.

lol

Old 04-17-2020, 03:17 PM

1,695 posts, read 1,284,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
At first, I thought Ducey was on the right track ... until he caved in due to pressure about the salons. He listed hair salons as essential services, and he was absolutely right. Then he wimped out because of the backlash and ordered all salons to close. What he and the naysayers don't realize is that hair salons ARE essential. Many elderly & disabled people rely on them for their shampoos & cuts ... for health reasons because many of them can't do it themselves. This created a huge disservice for many people. What the hell business is it of any governing body to deem something "essential" or "non essential" anyway? We've reached the point where we're allowing our so called leaders to act as dictators.
Could be worse. Have you seen what Michigan's governor has done? She apparently has the authority to deem what is essential in a box store. For example, if you go to Wal-Mart, you can only buy food, toiletries, and medicine. Everything else in the store is quarantined off with caution tape. Be thankful for what we have.

Want to buy a folding chair to sit in your backyard during the quarantine? No such luck here.

Old 04-17-2020, 03:34 PM

9,820 posts, read 11,205,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
Could be worse. Have you seen what Michigan's governor has done? She apparently has the authority to deem what is essential in a box store. For example, if you go to Wal-Mart, you can only buy food, toiletries, and medicine. Everything else in the store is quarantined off with caution tape. Be thankful for what we have.

Want to buy a folding chair to sit in your backyard during the quarantine? No such luck here.
I thought you were making this up or you got your wires crossed with the Onion. But you are right! https://www.metrotimes.com/news-hits...grocery-stores

Old 04-17-2020, 03:43 PM

An interesting data point. The team at Standford's COVID-19 study (see https://news.stanford.edu/2020/04/14...earch-roundup/) are coming up with numbers 50-85X higher exposure than previously thought. More specifically, the number of people infected by COVID-19 may be 50-80 times higher than the official count. Read https://abc7news.com/stanford-corona...id-19/6110894/

Old 04-17-2020, 03:51 PM

8,046 posts, read 12,290,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post

I know, it's ridiculous what some states are doing. Their authoritarianism solves absolutely nothing, and all it does is impose more needless restrictions. It's a lot like the gun issue. Restrict purchasing of firearms, and all it does is create more of a hassle for law abiding people. There will still be those who skirt around the law and obtain guns (or anything else for that matter) through underground/backdoor methods.

Old 04-17-2020, 04:56 PM

39,107 posts, read 51,321,770 times
Quote:
An interesting data point. The team at Standford's COVID-19 study (see https://news.stanford.edu/2020/04/14...earch-roundup/) are coming up with numbers 50-85X higher exposure than previously thought. More specifically, the number of people infected by COVID-19 may be 50-80 times higher than the official count. Read https://abc7news.com/stanford-corona...id-19/6110894/
Even with that it comes up to no more than 5%, not anywhere close to what is needed for so-called herd immunity. And it remains fatal to a large fraction of people over 60 as well as younger people. We don't need another outbreak, but we probably won't be able to stop it because Americans today simply will not sacrifice their shopping and dining "freedoms".

Old 04-17-2020, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Even with that it comes up to no more than 5%, not anywhere close to what is needed for so-called herd immunity. And it remains fatal to a large fraction of people over 60 as well as younger people. We don't need another outbreak, but we probably won't be able to stop it because Americans today simply will not sacrifice their shopping and dining "freedoms".
My point in highlighting the numbers was that 50 to 80X more people are already "immune"! And you are right, a small sample of people have already gotten it. Still, the mortality rate is a whole lot less than was presented early on. I see a glimmer of hope that fewer people are going to die. But your right, older and the unhealthy are still in serious harm's way. I'm in that transition age (55) and on BP meds. Being male, I'm not liking those odds yet. But I like them better after reading the article. I wish I knew the age groups and health risks of those who didn't see a symptom but have been exposed. That would speak volumes. Fingers crossed!

Old 04-17-2020, 05:16 PM

2,775 posts, read 5,735,410 times
Quote:

I know they said it wasn't peer reviewed yet but these are the types of questions that I look forward to hearing the answers. If Santa Clara has those types of numbers and other counties do as well and the death rate is still low (relatively) it opens up a number of new variables and seems encouraging.
The ABC article mentions NYC adding 3700 to its death toll (screwing up their very good daily summary IMHO). Now, they've gone back to the old summary and lowered the death toll of people with no underlying conditions to 42 out of 7890 (almost 2000 unknown).

Old 04-17-2020, 05:20 PM

525 posts, read 540,765 times
One thing to also keep in mind that the death rates are inflated. Many of the people who have died were dying anyways - they were in hospice etc and they were declared a Covid-19 statistic because they had it when they died - not because it was the cause of death. (several of my friends who are nurses on the front lines have confirmed this)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area