Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2020, 05:12 PM

2,775 posts, read 5,742,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Seriously? You have lived a pretty sheltered (no pun) life if you think this is hell. Several of the states and nations that are relaxing restrictions are bringing them down to the level that we have in Arizona. We are so lax here that the covid modelers won't even give us credit for closing non-essential services.
To clarify, I'm talking nationwide who have lost their jobs and probably have no prospects until the economy opens up again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2020, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
I took his words for a "public ploy" as "never letting a crisis go to waste" type mentality. I'll let him clarify.

Of course that's what I meant. Anyone who disagrees with Troit is an Alex Jones fanboy covered head to toe in tin foil.

Old 04-14-2020, 05:18 PM

39,125 posts, read 51,388,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Madolf View Post
To clarify, I'm talking nationwide who have lost their jobs and probably have no prospects until the economy opens up again.
Even in low unemployment pay Arizona, people are getting around 800 bucks a week. The major part is tax free so it's roughly equivalent to a $50K salary. For some that's a cut, for others a raise of sorts. That money is getting to people right now (I have family members who are seeing it). Even people who are independent contractors are getting $600 per week. The ones taking a beating are the small business owners with limited capital reserves. Many of them won't make it. And we will be in a recession for several months at least assuming the virus does not come back right away or again in the fall. In the long run, that will be more damaging than the present difficulties.

Old 04-14-2020, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Fine, you said “this” in a thread discussing distancing and other mitigation efforts. What is “this” then that is being used as a political ploy as you’re claiming. Regardless, you’re suggesting that this is being used as a conspiracy to push a policial agenda rather than public health. That’s utter paranoid nonsense.

Old 04-14-2020, 05:22 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,689,830 times
Quote:
Of course that's what I meant. Anyone who disagrees with Troit is an Alex Jones fanboy covered head to toe in tin foil.
No, only those that insist there’s some evil hidden plan under the covers. Not everything is so conniving and scary.

Old 04-14-2020, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llowllevellowll View Post
I don't want to answer for the poster, but I'm personally of the belief that COVID is simply a trigger -- not entirely different from the many other triggers that set in motion the inevitable crashes of unhealthy economies.

Sadly, I don't believe this economy is coming back when this is "all over"; with or without the virus, we had slowing GDP growth, slowing labor supply growth, a lack of meaningful technological innovations, unbelievable mounting debt that we've since skyrocketed to the moon, and we had and now have an ever increasing percentage of the workforce who can't afford to purchase the products they also no longer make. I am sure, though, that the administration has enough scapegoats to point fingers for 4-5 months prior to the election for re-election, but we've been fooling ourselves into believing that we're as healthy as our artificial stock market appears for the past 6 years. Shoot, even Trump called Obama's market numbers a giant bubble before he was elected and that was 3,000-some DOW points below where we are now.

This isn't going to go well.

Although I won't argue the national econ numbers with you (our debt alone will sink future generations along with offshoring almost all production) but the Phoenix area was moving along quite nicely (not too hot, not too cold). Not to say it wouldn't have changed.

Old 04-14-2020, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
No, only those that insist there’s some evil hidden plan under the covers. Not everything is so conniving and scary.
Governor Newsom, Biden, house whip Clyburn, and others have made comments about the CV-19 offering an opportunity to forward a progressive and green agenda.

This is no longer about staggering the load on hospitals.

Old 04-14-2020, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Governor Newsom, Biden, house whip Clyburn, and others have made comments about the CV-19 offering an opportunity to forward a progressive and green agenda.

This is no longer about staggering the load on hospitals.
What isn’t?

Old 04-14-2020, 06:59 PM

5,466 posts, read 4,091,820 times
Please try to stick to the topic and avoid bickering. Thanks.

Old 04-14-2020, 07:08 PM

Any who, is there any data out there to suggest that we’ve hit the peak? It seems all the rallying cries to “reopen the economy” are based on impatience and frustration rather than data. I’d love to go out for dinner or a drink, but not if it means we’re taking one step forward and two back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area