Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2020, 10:47 AM

1,108 posts, read 1,385,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
A friend of mine who went in the hospital with complications from RA spent probably 10-20 hours a week for a year, sorting out bills and insurance issues.
That's horrible. We truly have a terrible medical billing system, and medical insurance system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2020, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperwing View Post
I’m scared. In my years here, I’ve never gotten scam calls from A/C companies until yesterday. Now my A/C doesn’t work. I don’t mean to be paranoid, but I’m always bombarded with scam calls and I’m just uneasy with the coincidence. I’m so fearful of being cheated - I’ve had people lie to me too often. I’m terrified. I can’t afford any repair. I guess I may have to live in my bathtub.

I have not left my house since March 2. It’s really hot. I can’t get infected. I have co-morbid health risks and I can’t leave my house. I have no one to rely on - especially - at all. It’s going to be hard to get through the summer without air conditioning in Phoenix.

I’m very scared and it’s just a difficult time. I’m probably a little stir crazy and having no ability to escape the heat is not helpful. It’s not like one can go outside in AZ in July for mental health reasons.

I’m so scared.

I will try to sleep during the day and use wet blankets I guess. Be awake at night just to maintain my sanity (that I have any left is questionable at this point).

Gee this is difficult. I hope fellow valley folks are staying safe. I wish everyone good health and safety.

If anyone has any advice getting through the summer in Phoenix without A/c I would love to hear about anything. My only methods are wet scarves, towels etc. Not fun or comfortable, but they work somewhat.

That’s all. I guess a/c machines just die in the summer. I wish I knew what to do.
Quote:
severe non-military PTSD puts a hitch in my git-a-long. It’s not funny. This is devastating and feels insurmountable - and I cant really explain why. I’m under the care of a doctor and I can tolerate hearing a phone and a doorbell - usually - that took years. I shouldn’t share this. I’m frightened and this problem should be a no-brainer. Yeah, no. The extreme heat doesn’t help my ability to gather courage. But - gee, what a challenge.

My instinct is to figure out how to fix it myself - but that has rarely worked out well. Thank you again.
Wow!! I am so sorry to hear that you are going through this.

In addition to a doctor, I think you should go see a therapist. You need as much mental health care as physical health care.

Despite all of the scare about COVID, we have got to live our lives, even in state of caution.

I have a friend who has not left the house since March...kind of insane, I think.

You can only do so much to prevent injury. An asteroid can hit the earth tomorrow and wipe us out. That is no excuse to try to do nothing to continue living.

What's the point of living, if you are stuck in prison, literally, waiting for something you can't control to get better?

I'd rather be alive and risk getting sick, than being stuck in solitary confinement for life with no risk of getting sick.

Please seek mental help.

Old 07-10-2020, 01:51 PM

9,797 posts, read 11,196,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidAZ View Post
That's horrible. We truly have a terrible medical billing system, and medical insurance system.
If anyone has to go to their regular doc in the coming months, get ready for pathetic service. Most will be going to Urgent Care of the ER.

re: billing. My wife had an operation last year. She is still trying to iron out a couple of bills. The Mayo hasn't gotten paid and our insurance company says they didn't code it right. I think she has about 10 phone calls into it over multiple months. I can only imagine an extended hospital stay.

Healthcare pricing is one of the most complex topics. Like 2 different pricing for the same service (it depends if the routine is at a building adjacent to a hospital or a clinic). Or many more different prices depending on which insurance company negotiated the deal.

There are MASSIVE shortcomings that most people don't have a clue about. Let's say you are on the exchange (Obamacare). A small business like mine HAS to get insurance off of the exchange. Every single policy that AZ has on the exchange does not cap insurance for out of network. And there is no "in-network" when you leave AZ. Same with 95% of the MN plans (only one is remaining in MN).

Let's say someone goes on a vacation (or is a snowbird like me). And if they live in AZ and say, get COVID and seriously ill in California or any other state, the insurance has a 20% copay without a cap. Worse yet, the rates are NOT negotiated. So the bill is going to be at least twice as much for the exact same procedure. All of a sudden you get a $300K bill and owe $60K. Yep, that's the way it works. Now you know why I pay MN higher income taxes. If I "move" to AZ and save on AZ income taxes, I have that crappy, high-risk coverage. I predict 99.99% of all people in the exchange had no idea that's how it works. Who reads the fine print? I bet the insurance brokers don't read the fine print either.

Old 07-10-2020, 03:08 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,132,388 times
Refrigerator trucks will be coming. Maricopa Medical Examiner's office is at 97% capacity.

https://www.abc15.com/news/coronavir...gerated-trucks
Quote:
PHOENIX — Phoenix Mayor Kate Gallego says one Abrazo location is nearing capacity in its morgue and may be requesting refrigerated trucks. The Maricopa County Medical Examiner's office is also reportedly near capacity.

ABC15 spoke with Mayor Gallego Friday morning when she said the Abrazo location, which was not identified, is "near capacity" in their morgue space and they are looking at options to prevent problems.

“It’s specific just to one area…this is not a statewide problem,” Mayor Gallego said. "Maricopa County... is looking at everything they can do..."

"We are losing too many Arizonans," Mayor Gallego said. She continued to urge Arizona Governor Doug Ducey to require mask usage throughout the state.

Mayor Gallego's office released an additional statement Friday, detailing information from the city's meetings with the "Maricopa County Unified Command Center."

The command center team shared that the Maricopa Office of the Medical Examiner is at 97% capacity and is working to "secure a contract for refrigerator trucks.
"

Old 07-10-2020, 03:27 PM

8,278 posts, read 8,677,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
Refrigerator trucks will be coming. Maricopa Medical Examiner's office is at 97% capacity.

https://www.abc15.com/news/coronavir...gerated-trucks
They said they have adequate space now.

Why are so many going to the morgue?

Old 07-10-2020, 03:57 PM

6,775 posts, read 5,082,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
If anyone has to go to their regular doc in the coming months, get ready for pathetic service. Most will be going to Urgent Care of the ER.
I went in for my annual physical this week. Business as usual except everyone wearing masks.

Old 07-10-2020, 04:01 PM

6,775 posts, read 5,082,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidAZ View Post
What's the point of living, if you are stuck in prison, literally, waiting for something you can't control to get better?
Well, he/she did hint at existing health issues. If I had a 5%-10% chance of dying I'd probably not be leaving my house at all. Hopefully we will get some sort of vaccine or flu shot by next year.

Old 07-10-2020, 04:18 PM

9,797 posts, read 11,196,252 times
Popcorn popped. https://myfox8.com/news/dozens-of-mi...to-wear-masks/

"For weeks, (Mississippi) politicians flouted mask recommendations inside the state Capitol. Twenty-six state legislators have now tested positive for COVID-19, including Lt. Gov. Delbert Hosemann and State House Speaker Philip Gunn. Neither man wore a mask at a bill signing at the governor’s mansion last week."

Old 07-10-2020, 09:55 PM

2,140 posts, read 363,376 times
$10 thousand dollars if I want A/C in July in Arizona during a pandemic/depression. Fun times.

Old 07-10-2020, 10:42 PM

Quote:
$10 thousand dollars if I want A/C in July in Arizona during a pandemic/depression. Fun times.
Get multiple bids and see who is most reasonable and trustworthy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area