Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2020, 01:27 PM

9,822 posts, read 11,208,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Not really. Around the world, it does appear that there is a summer lull. But it is only one factor of many. Reckless behavior is another. And it probably is not hot weather kills the virus, but that people are naturally more distant in warm weather, schools closed, vacations, dining outdoors, even vitamin D. Except in the sun belt states where people stay indoors in AC as much as possible.

I heard Birx say at the briefing today that they are trying to understand why all of the sunbelt states cases exploded nearly simultaneously - something not seen yet in the epidemic.
Houston officials claim one reason for the uptick is because of the mutation https://www.khou.com/article/news/he...0-c28868226f77 .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2020, 01:31 PM

39,107 posts, read 51,328,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Houston officials claim one reason for the uptick is because of the mutation https://www.khou.com/article/news/he...0-c28868226f77 .
The mutation has been around for quite awhile now and is the most common one in the US (as the link also says). So it is not specific to Houston or to sunbelt states and not new.

Old 07-08-2020, 01:38 PM

39,107 posts, read 51,328,001 times
Arizona has stabilized at around 3500 cases per day though the record is short and confused by the July 4 holiday and testing that has gone back to the early days in terms of delayed results. Maybe the masks are working. Cases are showing up in hospitals now. My man on the scene source says the hospital is being taken over by COVIDs being brought in from Tucson which has run out of beds and the hospital is officially in crisis rules now. It's turning into "Italy".

Old 07-08-2020, 02:21 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,671,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusland View Post
I think it's more than a vocal minority. If these "so called adults" of yours understood this, then it would be explained more often and clearly in the media. It isn't. People are obviously confused and lost. This entire situation has been handled poorly.
With that being said, I haven't seen many countries handle it super-well.

I'm glad this is going away, or has mutated to be less deadly. We need to get back on with our lives.
I really don't think so, although maybe I'm giving people too much credit. I don't think the majority are so dense that they can't understand the multitude of reasons for changing messages and approaches when dealing with a previously unknown virus. I do think it's just the minority that is letting their paranoia fog what should be common sense. It's like they are desperately seeking any excuse to act recklessly. I don't feel at all confused about what I can do to help control this and I believe most are in the same boat.

With all that said, the leadership has on this has been abysmal. We just have to rely on our own sense to handle this cautiously. Again, I think most understand that.

Where are you seeing that this is "going away"? Sorry if there was sarcasm that I missed.

Old 07-08-2020, 02:33 PM

6,783 posts, read 5,089,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Arizona has stabilized at around 3500 cases per day though the record is short and confused by the July 4 holiday and testing that has gone back to the early days in terms of delayed results. Maybe the masks are working. Cases are showing up in hospitals now. My man on the scene source says the hospital is being taken over by COVIDs being brought in from Tucson which has run out of beds and the hospital is officially in crisis rules now. It's turning into "Italy".
For "up to the minute" guidance I certainly look to what doctors and nurses are saying. The day-to-day reporting of cases, hospitalizations, and deaths is erratic and there are some pretty long delays to get all of the numbers in. Right now, the county website shows finalized daily new case numbers through June 17, which is the day Tempe announced their mask requirement.

Old 07-08-2020, 03:55 PM

962 posts, read 472,328 times
Well, looks like Sweden's experiment isn't working out too well. Article in the NYT. An argument could be made that they cherry-picked a bit and only compared Sweden to the rest of Scandinavia and not all of Europe, but still.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/07/b...gtype=Homepage

Quote:
“They literally gained nothing,” said Jacob F. Kirkegaard, a senior fellow at the Peterson Institute for International Economics in Washington. “It’s a self-inflicted wound, and they have no economic gains.”
Quote:
Implicit in these approaches is the assumption that governments must balance saving lives against the imperative to spare jobs, with the extra health risks of rolling back social distancing potentially justified by a resulting boost to prosperity. But Sweden’s grim result — more death and nearly equal economic damage — suggests that the supposed choice between lives and paychecks is a false one: A failure to impose social distancing can cost lives and jobs at the same time.
Quote:
Per million people, Sweden has suffered 40% more deaths than the United States, 12 times more than Norway, seven times more than Finland and six times more than Denmark.
Quote:
The elevated death toll resulting from Sweden’s approach has been clear for many weeks. What is only now emerging is how Sweden, despite letting its economy run unimpeded, has still suffered business-destroying, prosperity-diminishing damage and at nearly the same magnitude of its neighbors.
Quote:
Here is one takeaway with potentially universal import: It is simplistic to portray government actions such as quarantines as the cause of economic damage. The real culprit is the virus itself. From Asia to Europe to the Americas, the risks of the pandemic have disrupted businesses while prompting people to avoid shopping malls and restaurants, regardless of official policy.

So basically, Sweden has a lot of people like me - people not going out to shop except for necessities. And us cautious "older" folks would be spending a lot more than some kid who buys four beers and a plate of wings after work a couple times a week.

Old 07-08-2020, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlurryCat View Post
Well, looks like Sweden's experiment isn't working out too well. Article in the NYT. An argument could be made that they cherry-picked a bit and only compared Sweden to the rest of Scandinavia and not all of Europe, but still.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/07/b...gtype=Homepage

So basically, Sweden has a lot of people like me - people not going out to shop except for necessities. And us cautious "older" folks would be spending a lot more than some kid who buys four beers and a plate of wings after work a couple times a week.
Here is the ranking (deaths per million). https://www.statista.com/statistics/...n-inhabitants/
Belgium 853.35
United Kingdom 657.7
Spain 606.86
Italy 575.31

Sweden 523.71

France 444.52
USA 388.93
Ireland 357.68
Netherlands 354.77
Chile 303.7
Peru 302.51
Brazil 284.5

Countries didn't ramp up at the time. So the final result is still months away. That said, read https://www.marketwatch.com/story/sw...did-2020-06-25 . It suggests what you just posted (that their economy also took a massive hit.) Surprising results?!

Old 07-08-2020, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlurryCat View Post
Not so fast. Here is a histogram of age versus expenditures https://www.bls.gov/opub/btn/volume-...ary-by-age.pdf . Also, I propose that geezers spend their money in different buckets than younger people. So I am not sure what the takeaway is other than all people are spending a lot less. Heck, we are banking $4K+ more now than we were pre-COVID. I was blowing $25K+ a year in restaurants alone.

Basically, I'm spending more at the grocery store. I decided to stay in AZ to simplify and be closer to a better caliber hospital. So I am also spending more on electricity. But that's pretty much it!

Old 07-08-2020, 07:52 PM

3,700 posts, read 2,428,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Agreed. It should deemed as “common sense” especially when doctors were screaming for PPE and making their own homemade brew! People who bought their message hook line and sinker were easy pray. Let’s never forget that 1/2 the people running around the world (by definition) have below average intelligence. You know, masks cause people harm, the trilateral commission is behind this or Bill Gates is profiting from COVID. Yicks! You don’t have to a genius to smell B.S. It seems we smelled it easier than others.

As you know, when politics enter into decisions, often, common sense means you should question their line of thinking. Either side of the isle. A healthy dose of questioning is smart.
Well, said MN-B-R

I do believe that lower intelligence is a factor in those refusing to put on a mask when they walk into a supermarket or post office.

And the politics....both are related to each in this case, IMO.

Old 07-08-2020, 08:01 PM

1,108 posts, read 1,386,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post
Well, said MN-B-R

I do believe that lower intelligence is a factor in those refusing to put on a mask when they walk into a supermarket or post office.

And the politics....both are related to each in this case, IMO.
Agreed, and the non-stop 24/7 blathering of idiots on social media, various news outlets, make the people even more susceptible to stupid suggestions.

More noise, rather than more information, seems to be dumbing down the population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area