Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2020, 02:51 PM

9,822 posts, read 11,208,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
I was thinking we'll probably see in uptick in sick law enforcement from all of the demonstrations.
I suspect they have been exposed to the max already. For example, NYC police had 1/6th that was sick back in early April.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2020, 03:34 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,291,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
You're right, but doesn't that prove that we do need some restrictions? Haven't people been proven incapable of making the right decisions without outside intervention?
Like I said, only if we start running out of beds. The intent was to flatten the curve, we did that and it was the right thing to do. We can't stay closed until a vaccine is available, at this point it's up to the individual to decide if they want to take the risk or not.

Old 06-02-2020, 03:39 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,977,264 times
Quote:
Like I said, only if we start running out of beds. The intent was to flatten the curve, we did that and it was the right thing to do. We can't stay closed until a vaccine is available, at this point it's up to the individual to decide if they want to take the risk or not.
Curve isn’t flat, but is growing. Fast.

Old 06-02-2020, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Curve isn’t flat, but is growing. Fast.
I don't think you guys understand. When this thing started, we were unprepared and did not have sufficient medical safety gear or equipment. We didn't have enough ventilators for the onslaught of patients, so we "flattened the curve". We now have so many ventilators we are giving them to other countries and we have sufficient masks etc the stay at home order was not put in place so much to save lives as it was to "catch up". By all means, do what is best for your family. We are not going out much at all because it's still out there, others are going out on the reg and helping the economy, good for them.

Old 06-02-2020, 04:00 PM

6,783 posts, read 5,089,024 times
Quote:
The problem as I see it is not opening things up, it's the dummies going out without masks and getting together in large groups without using precaution. There's a smart way to remain open and a dangerous way. People milling about like they did in 2019 are the problem.
Yup. In my immediate neck of the woods, compliance with recommendations is spotty at best. I expect we'll see a bigger second wave of the virus in AZ, maybe even before autumn.

Old 06-02-2020, 04:10 PM

9,822 posts, read 11,208,443 times
Quote:
I don't think you guys understand. When this thing started, we were unprepared and did not have sufficient medical safety gear or equipment. We didn't have enough ventilators for the onslaught of patients, so we "flattened the curve". We now have so many ventilators we are giving them to other countries and we have sufficient masks etc the stay at home order was not put in place so much to save lives as it was to "catch up". By all means, do what is best for your family. We are not going out much at all because it's still out there, others are going out on the reg and helping the economy, good for them.
We are on the same page. As you said earlier, you wear your mask out of common courtesy/ sense.

I'm poking my head out some now. It's based on personal risks. I'm 55 and was on BP meds. Plus, I was "obese" (defined as 15% overweight). So I lost 30 pounds and counting. I am getting down to my HS weight (eating healthy and working out an hour plus every day). Another 10 pounds to go.

It's been explained to me that a strong heart helps if you are one of the unlucky ones who land up in the hospital. That's not exclusive to COVID but it motivated me. Yet I recognize based on the data so far. I'm overly cautious. Currently, I'm waiting to see if the beds are overrun. It really doesn't bother me to cook healthy and get in even better shape. So we are choosing to keep things low profile so I can accurately count calories etc. Even if I was 25 years old, I'd still wear a mask so I don't infect someone who could land in the hospital. I don't want to kill someone's mom or dad because I was too selfish to put on a mask.

Old 06-02-2020, 04:12 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,671,628 times
Quote:
Nah, not when they're putting others at risk. It's not their right to spread their droplets around to others.

Old 06-02-2020, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Nah, not when they're putting others at risk. It's not their right to spread their droplets around to others.
Lol so when you have the flu but don't know it yet do you have the right to go out? The only people they'd be putting at risk is those that put themselves at risk. By all means, stay home like I am mostly.

Old 06-02-2020, 05:11 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,671,628 times
Quote:
Lol so when you have the flu but don't know it yet do you have the right to go out? The only people they'd be putting at risk is those that put themselves at risk. By all means, stay home like I am mostly.
Not true. Masks are far more effective for the wearer when other parties are also masked. That’s why this is a matter of common courtesy, decency and simple respect for others. I think we’ve given people enough freedom to prove that they don’t need “the man” telling them to be a good person. They’ve failed miserably.

Old 06-02-2020, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Not true. Masks are far more effective for the wearer when other parties are also masked. That’s why this is a matter of common courtesy, decency and simple respect for others. I think we’ve given people enough freedom to prove that they don’t need “the man” telling them to be a good person. They’ve failed miserably.
I'm all for wearing masks. I was responding to you essentially saying that things should not be opened up until we have a vaccine. That's not feasible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area