Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2020, 06:23 PM

6,820 posts, read 5,129,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
Lol, I guess we need to fact check the "fake news" on the forum also (not saying yours is wrong, I have no idea what is correct anymore). Someone just posted a link showing they went up. 1000 is a lot larger than the 3 you have on June 1st.
https://www.azfamily.com/news/contin...pitalizations/

There are three new cases shown for both Monday and Tuesday, but with the following footnote:

It could take 3-7 days for hospitalization numbers for a specific day to be reported. Therefore, hospitalizations for the most recent days shown in the above line graph will most likely be underreported. Please continue to check back regularly.

So basically, we cannot yet trust any number that's less than about a week old, due to reporting delays. Also, 1000 must be the total number of COVID patients currently in hospital, not the number of new admissions in a day. (Number of new COVID admissions has never exceeded 70 in any single day, according to the graphs).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2020, 06:46 PM

9,876 posts, read 11,270,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belgirl View Post
And actually the rate of hospitalizations has gone down:

May 26 - 29
May 27 - 22
May 28 - 23
May 29 - 19
May 30 - 10
May 31 - 11
June 1 - 3
June 2 - 3
40 people died in AZ of COVID in the past 24 hours https://azbigmedia.com/business/covi...ncrease-by-40/ . Unless 40 people died in their home without going to the hospital.

Old 06-03-2020, 07:36 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,311,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
40 people died in AZ of COVID in the past 24 hours https://azbigmedia.com/business/covi...ncrease-by-40/ . Unless 40 people died in their home without going to the hospital.
I think the numbers she posted shows NEW patients admitted each day, not the total hospitalized those days. As someone else pointed out, the numbers aren't finalized until about a week past each day, so the numbers will change.

Old 06-03-2020, 07:42 PM

9,876 posts, read 11,270,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
I think the numbers she posted shows NEW patients admitted each day, not the total hospitalized those days. As someone else pointed out, the numbers aren't finalized until about a week past each day, so the numbers will change.
My bad. Thanks for clarifying.

Old 06-04-2020, 06:26 AM

39,155 posts, read 51,447,655 times
Anecdotally, a relative who has been working the COVID floor informed me that COVID capacity in some of the hospitals in their system has been reached so they are opening a new "floor" for COVIDs at hers. That certainly does not make it sound like the pandemic is receding in the Phoenix metro.

As for data, the Maricopa County website is much more consistent and easier to make sense of than the state site. There is a table on the county site that lists the new cases, hospitalizations etc each day. The graphs have to be viewed carefully as they are only current/correct up to a week back as it still can take that long to get test results still. But no matter how you look at them, there is little evidence that COVID is declining statistically or is even flattening.

Old 06-04-2020, 07:42 AM

525 posts, read 542,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
Yep-correct. There is a difference between the number of hospitalizations and the rate of hospitalizations per day.

Old 06-04-2020, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Anecdotally, a relative who has been working the COVID floor informed me that COVID capacity in some of the hospitals in their system has been reached so they are opening a new "floor" for COVIDs at hers. That certainly does not make it sound like the pandemic is receding in the Phoenix metro.

As for data, the Maricopa County website is much more consistent and easier to make sense of than the state site. There is a table on the county site that lists the new cases, hospitalizations etc each day. The graphs have to be viewed carefully as they are only current/correct up to a week back as it still can take that long to get test results still. But no matter how you look at them, there is little evidence that COVID is declining statistically or is even flattening.
Is this the county website you're talking about?

https://www.maricopa.gov/DocumentCen...er=home-button

Looking at the moving average line, the rate of new cases reported is still increasing. But the rate of new hospitalizations seems to have peaked in early May.

Old 06-04-2020, 11:14 AM

39,155 posts, read 51,447,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
Is this the county website you're talking about?

https://www.maricopa.gov/DocumentCen...er=home-button

Looking at the moving average line, the rate of new cases reported is still increasing. But the rate of new hospitalizations seems to have peaked in early May.
That's it. The hospitalizations have come down but not a lot and then this week the numbers are back up again, although it does not look as though that is in the graph yet.

12 News also note the trend in a report today:

https://www.12news.com/article/news/...1-7244648073a0

I don't see any way Ducey is going back on or even slowing his reopening plans, so unless this is just a blip, we are going to be hit hard this summer. Individuals can do their own social distancing without Ducey telling them to, but they need to know that risks are rising and that information is just not getting out there. In fact, it seems the state is deliberately understating the risk to justify its actions. Not a good plan at all.

Old 06-04-2020, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
That's it. The hospitalizations have come down but not a lot and then this week the numbers are back up again, although it does not look as though that is in the graph yet.

12 News also note the trend in a report today:

https://www.12news.com/article/news/...1-7244648073a0

I don't see any way Ducey is going back on or even slowing his reopening plans, so unless this is just a blip, we are going to be hit hard this summer. Individuals can do their own social distancing without Ducey telling them to, but they need to know that risks are rising and that information is just not getting out there. In fact, it seems the state is deliberately understating the risk to justify its actions. Not a good plan at all.
Thanks for the article. Sure, I agree that Ducey will not modify the reopening plans.

We leave the house very little these days, doing most transactions by delivery or curbside pickup. Sprouts is the only place we go into regularly, and I will say the level of compliance regarding masks and distancing is quite good there. On the other hand, I've seen mediocre to poor compliance at some other businesses as well as local parks.

Old 06-04-2020, 08:00 PM

8,053 posts, read 12,330,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
Thanks for the article. Sure, I agree that Ducey will not modify the reopening plans.

We leave the house very little these days, doing most transactions by delivery or curbside pickup. Sprouts is the only place we go into regularly, and I will say the level of compliance regarding masks and distancing is quite good there. On the other hand, I've seen mediocre to poor compliance at some other businesses as well as local parks.
Masks are worn pretty extensively inside most of the stores I've been to lately. Employees wear them non stop, and a sizeable number of customers are also wearing them. The issue is not so much if people are wearing them, but how effective they are. The vast majority of masks are only able to filter a small percentage of allergens & microbes ... so they're really more for showing that you're making an attempt to reduce the spread. As for the "poor compliance" at parks or anywhere else outdoors, it's pretty obvious that wearing masks in this heat is extremely uncomfortable to say the least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area