Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2020, 05:11 AM

9,822 posts, read 11,208,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Again, you have it all wrong. It's not about inheritance, and whatever else. The house I live in currently has been my own for over 20 years, and it was only in the last few years that my mother moved in with me because she could no longer fully care for herself & became disabled. My dad had similar issues.
I was reading between the lines that you were worried that the government was going to take your parent's home or assets. I wasn't discussing your home. Additionally, I was discussing a "nursing home" for a reason. That's because you addressed Mike's point about nursing homes. You said:
Quote:
Yep, all this was a wake up call for us as well. You basically surrender everything (even your own home) to the damn government. ......

Yes, this is a small price to pay for protecting oneself. Why more people don't have these matters taken care of ahead of time is beyond me.
I read your words to mean that you consulted people and already took care of it.
Quote:
My guess is they think the wonderful government is going to be their permanent safety net. As you found out, it doesn't work that way at all.
Next, you talked about ^^ how people abuse the government for a safety net. My point was there isn't an infinite spigot of $$'s. It's why they have a spend-down. The deal isn't unlimited care no matter what happens in life.

In short, you can't have your cake and eat it too. Either you "think the wonderful government is going to be your permanent safety net" or you allow the taxpayers to get reimbursed with their assets after both people's parents both die. Later, you said you agree.

In other words, you were talking out both sides of your mouth. That's why I "babbling" and "again, I have it all wrong". You need to be consistent with your positions.

Quote:
I can't say the same for you and many many others who thought they were entitled to use taxpayer money for their kids' education!
A couple of points. What do you pay a year in property taxes? It must be a massive amount. Because you are always ranting about school taxes, "snot-nosed kids, etc". We agree that some people shouldn't procreate. It seems you shouldn't because you hate kids.

Two points. You must pay in a massive about of property taxes. Because you complain about it non-stop. Is it even a couple of Grand? In my prime earning years I was constantly in the top tax bracket. Plus, I paid 3 property taxes at a time for years. If the schools really need more, then raise mine. I'll go work harder if I have to. You don't hear me b_tching. In summary, I guarantee you I paid in my unfair share. I'm over it.

Plus, the people you want to blame for taking government education $$'s are my kids. Because they got a "free" education. I paid in dearly and I still am. And when my son marries and gets out of residency, their starting wages will be around $775K a year combined. They actually might have a reason to b_tch. I'll stuff a sock in their mouth if they do.

In full disclosure, the taxpayers did pay our daughters $270K in dental school tuition. Our daughter is in the Army and is underpaid by around $100K a year. So that's her "payback" (lower wages) as well as her lost freedoms. Still, a brilliant economic move on her part for all kinds of reasons. I digress...

Back to the "snot-nosed kids". There are two things in life I cherish the most. 1st is my beautiful wife of 30+ years and the mother of my children. I worship her. For me, life would be empty without being married. YMMV. I completely out punted my coverage. The other topic that I cherish is the opportunity to raise kids. Because if it, it encompasses some of the best memories I could ever hope for. I have hundreds of memories that are literally priceless. My only regret is I didn't have two more kids. Raising kids was a piece-of-cake because we loved to do it. Again, YMMV. If you hate kids, thankfully you didn't have any.

So while you berate people for not taking care of their parents and not have them live with them, you don't understand that people have their own nest to take care of. You chose to take in your mom. Good for you. But that not happening in our family. My obligation is to my wife and to a lesser degree, my adult kids. When I can hide my own Easter eggs, then I only hope I have enough resources to get a better level of service. Raising caring children who have the resources to help out probably will work out to our benefit. We have stressed to take care of their own nest 1st and foremost.

For all of the kid-less people out there, IMO, they missed out big time! Plus, in the final years, childless people will be on their own. I am glad I chose the "snot-nose" route. If you land-up in a nursing home, you may wish you too had some brats for a visit. Again, YMMV.

Off to San Fran for a Zoom distant medical school graduation complements of COVID. I was looking forward to watching him walk across the stage but that ain't happening. Still, more exciting memories for us as I see their new home. I'm looking forward to seeing the excitement on their faces as they enter another next chapter of their life. Priceless!

Last edited by MN-Born-n-Raised; 05-26-2020 at 06:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2020, 12:27 PM

1,315 posts, read 3,234,273 times
I hope people in general were practicing social distancing at gatherings this past weekend. If there is a second wave of COVID-19 cases in a few weeks, primarily due to poor, irresponsible behavior from people over the Memorial Day weekend, will Governors re-implement "shelter in place" type orders?

Old 05-26-2020, 05:32 PM

8,046 posts, read 12,292,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Next, you talked about ^^ how people abuse the government for a safety net. My point was there isn't an infinite spigot of $$'s. It's why they have a spend-down. The deal isn't unlimited care no matter what happens in life.

In short, you can't have your cake and eat it too. Either you "think the wonderful government is going to be your permanent safety net" or you allow the taxpayers to get reimbursed with their assets after both people's parents both die. Later, you said you agree.

In other words, you were talking out both sides of your mouth. That's why I "babbling" and "again, I have it all wrong". You need to be consistent with your positions.
Let's be clear about something. I'm in full agreement that seniors (or anybody for that matter) shouldn’t be expecting top rated facilities on taxpayer funds, and I also agree that they should pay on their own if they have enough money to do so, but this same rule should apply to everybody. Your point about schools is a good example. Obviously you didn't have to surrender your assets in a "spend down" mode when you made the choice to send your kids to public schools on the taxpayers' backs. At the same time, seniors have to surrender practically everything they own if they receive long term care on Medicaid. Notice the inconsistency with the policies, not my positions.
()

Quote:
Two points. You must pay in a massive about of property taxes. Because you complain about it non-stop. Is it even a couple of Grand? In my prime earning years I was constantly in the top tax bracket. Plus, I paid 3 property taxes at a time for years. If the schools really need more, then raise mine. I'll go work harder if I have to. You don't hear me b_tching. In summary, I guarantee you I paid in my unfair share. I'm over it.
Yes it is over $2K, which is actually getting to be pretty average anymore. It's really the principle of the matter, regardless if the annual tax is $50 or $50,000. Over 60% of this goes to education, and this is why I complain. I'm glad you're willing to have your taxes raised. In all fairness, the ones who actually use the system are the ones who should pay into it, even if it means you pay more and the non users get a nice break.

Quote:
Plus, the people you want to blame for taking government education $$'s are my kids. Because they got a "free" education. I paid in dearly and I still am. And when my son marries and gets out of residency, their starting wages will be around $775K a year combined. They actually might have a reason to b_tch. I'll stuff a sock in their mouth if they do.

In full disclosure, the taxpayers did pay our daughters $270K in dental school tuition. Our daughter is in the Army and is underpaid by around $100K a year. So that's her "payback" (lower wages) as well as her lost freedoms. Still, a brilliant economic move on her part for all kinds of reasons. I digress...
Here's what you fail to understand: you've boasted on here quite often about how you make a good living, own properties, take overseas trips, and are always in the top tax bracket. In other words, you certainly had enough money to send your kids to decent private schools, yet you thought you were entitled to have the taxpayers fund your kids' education. You're certainly not the only one this scenario applies to, but it further demonstrates your inconsistency (and arrogance) because you berate seniors who complain about paying taxes but get benefits, and here you are admitting that you had no problem with using government funds for YOUR kids because you paid into the system "dearly". Newsflash: a lot of us pay into the system dearly (some more than others).

Quote:
Back to the "snot-nosed kids". There are two things in life I cherish the most. 1st is my beautiful wife of 30+ years and the mother of my children. I worship her. For me, life would be empty without being married. YMMV. I completely out punted my coverage. The other topic that I cherish is the opportunity to raise kids. Because if it, it encompasses some of the best memories I could ever hope for. I have hundreds of memories that are literally priceless. My only regret is I didn't have two more kids. Raising kids was a piece-of-cake because we loved to do it. Again, YMMV. If you hate kids, thankfully you didn't have any.

So while you berate people for not taking care of their parents and not have them live with them, you don't understand that people have their own nest to take care of. You chose to take in your mom. Good for you. But that not happening in our family. My obligation is to my wife and to a lesser degree, my adult kids. When I can hide my own Easter eggs, then I only hope I have enough resources to get a better level of service. Raising caring children who have the resources to help out probably will work out to our benefit. We have stressed to take care of their own nest 1st and foremost.

For all of the kid-less people out there, IMO, they missed out big time! Plus, in the final years, childless people will be on their own. I am glad I chose the "snot-nose" route. If you land-up in a nursing home, you may wish you too had some brats for a visit. Again, YMMV.
Your wife & kids definitely should matter the most because you made the commitments. In that respect, you are 100% correct. In fact, I admire couples who have been able to stay married these days. Also, it seems as though you were among the few parents who actually taught your children values & responsibility, which apparently has paid off in that regard. One thing, however: your tendency to jump to conclusions is evident, and this time it's your assumption that I "hate kids". It's really the breeders I despise.

Keep in mind that having kids is NO guarantee they'll be present during their parents' or grandparents' time of need, which is horrible. Again, everybody has their own priorities. In my case, it would be very selfish to NOT provide care for an elderly parent given the current circumstances. (Way off the COVID 19 topic I realize!)

Old 05-26-2020, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happs View Post
I hope people in general were practicing social distancing at gatherings this past weekend. If there is a second wave of COVID-19 cases in a few weeks, primarily due to poor, irresponsible behavior from people over the Memorial Day weekend, will Governors re-implement "shelter in place" type orders?
I saw news clips of some of the crowded beaches, resorts, and lakes over this last weekend, and it's rather disturbing. I guess they somehow believe that COVID 19 isn't airborne ... or it will be blown away by the wind or burned by the sun if outdoors. I never venture out to these places on holiday weekends anyway due to the crowds. But in any case, it would be ridiculous for another mandatory shutdown of everything. I see it as more interference from an already intrusive gov't. Might be best to let the chips fall where they may.

Old 05-27-2020, 07:05 AM

9,822 posts, read 11,208,443 times
Quote:
Let's be clear about something. I'm in full agreement that seniors (or anybody for that matter) shouldn’t be expecting top rated facilities on taxpayer funds, and I also agree that they should pay on their own if they have enough money to do so, but this same rule should apply to everybody.
Perfect. Because my line-item post pointed out, you were not exactly clear.
Quote:
Obviously you didn't have to surrender your assets in a "spend down" mode when you made the choice to send your kids to public schools on the taxpayers' backs.
You really don't get it, do you? I paid in dearly. Actually, in previous years, 14x more than you do in property taxes. Currently, 6X more than you pay. Furthermore, the bulk of the per-student expenditures go to special education and babysitting (counselors, police officers, etc). Our kids didn't need that.

In the end, I would be the biggest fool to pay in well beyond what we took out and later pay even more for private schools. In other words, if I decided to pass on having kids (a massive and lonely mistake for us), I still would have paid in. So yea, I'm guilty of taking the funds. You got me. And while we are at it, I've capped my SSN contributions pretty much forever. Still, it's not nearly enough to cover a couple of typical larger medical payouts. So for people who think "well I paid in", you haven't remotely covered your nugget. But I bet you are going to be educating us how you have been paying in for all those years. Without paying in squat.

Quote:
Here's what you fail to understand: you've boasted on here quite often about how you make a good living, own properties, take overseas trips, and are always in the top tax bracket.
Actually, I've said many many times that I'm cheap. And I'm interested in working the least amount of hours that I can to sustain my business. Currently, I am working harder than I want to. But I started an amazing gig and I don't want to give it up with repeat customers. My flexibility couldn't be any better so I'm lucky.

So no, I'm not in the top tax brackets by design. Not even close. If you owned a business, you realize that you can design your hobbies around your business. And that means a ton of legitimate write-offs. I worked my life away for a decade and banked it. When I made a crazy amount of money 20 years ago, it didn't make me happy. Actually, it made me miserable. I worked 100 plus stressful hours a week, just to have a better garage sale.

Re: vacations. As I explained before, I charge a couple of million dollars through my credit card. I don't spend much of my own funds. So $1000 tours and wonderful accommodations are paid with points. The last time I paid for an airline ticket (my son and daughter included) was 20+ years ago. And I make sure I study my completion when I travel so I write off and justify the "free points". Easy.

Back to my point. Sure. I could have paid for a private K-12. What would I have accomplished? I already paid in a ton for property taxes. Oh... I'd dream of only paying in $2K for property taxes. Stop your bitching already.

Last edited by MN-Born-n-Raised; 05-27-2020 at 07:19 AM..

Old 05-27-2020, 12:10 PM

13,354 posts, read 7,385,078 times
Study shows 54.6% of Covid-19 deaths were in nursing homes or assisted living homes in Arizona. Wonder how much of a risk it is outside of those facilities.

https://freopp.org/the-covid-19-nurs...s-3a47433c3f70

Old 05-27-2020, 03:47 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,977,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
Study shows 54.6% of Covid-19 deaths were in nursing homes or assisted living homes in Arizona. Wonder how much of a risk it is outside of those facilities.

45.4% probably

Old 05-27-2020, 04:22 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,242,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
45.4% probably
Lol, brilliant. I was going to jump all over that until I seen you beat me to it.

Old 05-27-2020, 11:07 PM

2,775 posts, read 5,736,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post

Regardless of what your 2nd sentence means (45.4% of all deaths come from the 99.4% of the population that doesn't live in nursing homes?), good link.
This was the most disturbing to me:
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2.1 million people live in nursing homes or residential care facilities, representing 0.6% of the U.S. population. And yet residents in such facilities account for 42 percent of all deaths from COVID-19, for states that report such statistics.

Old 05-28-2020, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Madolf View Post
Regardless of what your 2nd sentence means (45.4% of all deaths come from the 99.4% of the population that doesn't live in nursing homes?), good link.
This was the most disturbing to me:
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2.1 million people live in nursing homes or residential care facilities, representing 0.6% of the U.S. population. And yet residents in such facilities account for 42 percent of all deaths from COVID-19, for states that report such statistics.
Which is one of the many reasons why some of us want nothing to do with nursing homes if at all possible. Being that nearly all of them are elderly or disabled in some way, they're usually in poorer health & their immune systems are often compromised, which makes them more susceptible to viruses. The really horrible part is some people have the attitude that since they're elderly or disabled, they're also useless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area