Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2020, 09:03 PM

26,213 posts, read 49,044,521 times

Advertisements

News out today that 24 states still have expanding rates of infection. Arizona is high on that list.

Excerpt: "The Imperial College-London researchers estimated the virus’s reproduction number, known as R0, or R-naught. This is the average number of infections generated by each infected person in a vulnerable population. The researchers found the reproduction number has dropped below 1 in DC and 26 states. In those places, as of May 17, the epidemic was waning. In 24 states, however, the model shows a reproduction number over 1. Texas tops the list, followed by Arizona, Illinois, Colorado, Ohio, Minnesota, Indiana, Iowa, Alabama and Wisconsin."

This is not good news, despite re-opening efforts. My wife and I will continue to hibernate and wear masks when we go to the supermarket. If local news reports spikes in cases we will revert to order groceries on line.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2020, 09:30 PM

9,742 posts, read 11,163,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
News out today that 24 states still have expanding rates of infection. Arizona is high on that list.

Excerpt: "The Imperial College-London researchers estimated the virus’s reproduction number, known as R0, or R-naught. This is the average number of infections generated by each infected person in a vulnerable population. The researchers found the reproduction number has dropped below 1 in DC and 26 states. In those places, as of May 17, the epidemic was waning. In 24 states, however, the model shows a reproduction number over 1. Texas tops the list, followed by Arizona, Illinois, Colorado, Ohio, Minnesota, Indiana, Iowa, Alabama and Wisconsin."

This is not good news, despite re-opening efforts. My wife and I will continue to hibernate and wear masks when we go to the supermarket. If local news reports spikes in cases we will revert to order groceries on line.
Mike. Sam's open to 60+ on Thursday's starting at 7AM to 9 AM. Winco has seniors and vulnerable customer day on Tuesday and Thursday which starts at 5AM and ends at 7M. Don't forget your masks. Speaking of Sam's, I was out early on Thursday and got wipes and hand sanitizer. No shortage of TP either. Basically, they were fully stocked in all categories (Surprise location).

Additionally, Walmart is getting FAST on their home delivery slots. We ordered at 7AM, picked a slot for 12PM the same day. We had an hour to pick out the items as well. Free advice: stay the Hell away from Home Depot. I walked in at 9AM on Thursday and turned around. No one respects people's space. I'll order on Amazon versus going into that store for many months.

Personally, I'm going to head back underground for most of the coming month. Let's see if the crap hits the fan. It takes a sold 6 weeks for it to surface in the hospitals. We decided to stay put in AZ for at least another 5 weeks. I don't want a rookie COVID ER doc in northern MN to experiment on me. In the meantime, popcorn popped. It may get interesting....

Old 05-22-2020, 09:34 PM

26,213 posts, read 49,044,521 times
I needed some light bulbs and bug boards the other week, didn't have them at local Safeway, so ordered from Amazon to avoid going to big box like Lowe's or Home Depot. We will stay hunkered down.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 05-22-2020, 09:48 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,645,144 times
I ran to Basha’s today and I was the minority being in a mask. I couldn’t believe how many elderly people were without them. I have friends posting pictures of their dinners at restaurants, scenes from local bars and large get togethers.

Ducey opened us up using a bogus metric to justify it and cases and deaths continue steadily. I don’t understand the stupidity of so many, but like you guys, I’m hunkering down to see if these people drop dead or not over the coming weeks.

Old 05-22-2020, 11:14 PM

2,773 posts, read 5,726,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post

There is no cure. There is no vaccination. If you are vulnerable take precautions. It really isn't that complicated.
Our society and economy cannot stay locked down until .......... where's the goal now?

Old 05-22-2020, 11:56 PM

13,248 posts, read 7,312,118 times
eBay now has KN-95 masks 5 for 25$ not a bad price this is the Chinese version of the N95 which has been tested to do 50 times better then a surgical mask in filtering air of a virus. I won't shop without it ever today was at Frys about 70% of the shoppers were not wearing any masks in the store. It was really stressful to walk around and over 50 times be within 2-3 feet of someone. I don't understand why stores are not enforcing mask's.

Old 05-23-2020, 07:10 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,959,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
eBay now has KN-95 masks 5 for 25$ not a bad price this is the Chinese version of the N95 which has been tested to do 50 times better then a surgical mask in filtering air of a virus. I won't shop without it ever today was at Frys about 70% of the shoppers were not wearing any masks in the store. It was really stressful to walk around and over 50 times be within 2-3 feet of someone. I don't understand why stores are not enforcing mask's.
Probably apathy and fear of retaliation by wackos like Costco experiences

Old 05-23-2020, 07:30 AM

525 posts, read 539,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belgirl View Post
I think there are several things at play. One is what Burning Madolf quoted from the WP article concerning presumed cases: "Well, we THINK they died of COVID-19 but we didn't do a test." Presumed cases should not be lumped in with confirmed, in my opinion. Secondly, you have those who are in hospice (who one of nursing friends works with) who were going to die in a month, got COVID-19 and then they are lumped in as COVID-19 statistic. That one is a little trickier, but it still inflates or obfuscates (whatever word you want to use) the death count. People freak out when they see 161,000 deaths in the world, but stats need context, which people rarely see.

Do I think there is a "left-wing media conspiracy?" No. Do I think the media uses these raw numbers to amp up the fear? Sure do.
https://nypost.com/2020/05/22/ny-won...oll-gov-cuomo/

"Cuomo — commenting on the topic of confirmed versus probable COVID-19 deaths at a press briefing in Murray Hill in Manhattan — said, “Now some places just put them together, they then get criticized — you can’t put them together. They’re two different categories."

"Cuomo said the state has had “many cases” deemed “probable” that “turned out not to be coronavirus."

"There are a lot of scientists and experts who say, ‘Don’t put them together ‘cause they’re two different categories, they’re two different answers,’” the governor said."

"State Health Commissioner Howard Zucker said New York spoke to the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recently, “specifically asking them what’s going on in other states where some merge [confirmed and probable deaths] and some don’t."

And yet I was told I was "spewing nonsense" on this board and "putting way too much thought and energy" into figuring out if the numbers were accurate. Yeah. Ok.

Old 05-23-2020, 07:32 AM

525 posts, read 539,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
Then use Instacart. Were the shoppers coughing and sneezing near you?

Old 05-23-2020, 09:16 AM

9,742 posts, read 11,163,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belgirl View Post
Then use Instacart. Were the shoppers coughing and sneezing near you?
Add: "were the shoppers breathing near you (spit). See https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7205645/ Were they talking (talking adds more risk)? Talking louder even more risk. Have you been paying attention along the way?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area