Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2020, 06:31 AM

9,887 posts, read 11,292,337 times

Advertisements

I wonder about COVID long term health problems. Has anybody observed statistics on this topic? It's one thing to die. That is the spec we have all been focused on. I'm wondering about the implications with people who lived and are now dealing with longterm problems. Does anybody have any numbers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2020, 06:50 AM

9,887 posts, read 11,292,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Madolf View Post
Regardless of what your 2nd sentence means (45.4% of all deaths come from the 99.4% of the population that doesn't live in nursing homes?), good link.
This was the most disturbing to me:
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2.1 million people live in nursing homes or residential care facilities, representing 0.6% of the U.S. population. And yet residents in such facilities account for 42 percent of all deaths from COVID-19, for states that report such statistics.
That's a shocking statistic (percentage of deaths in an aging facility). Though I would have guessed far more people than 2.1 million.

Don't forget the last paragraph of the link https://freopp.org/the-covid-19-nurs...s-3a47433c3f70 :
"On the flip side, it would appear that elderly individuals who do not live in nursing homes may be at a somewhat lower, while still significant, the risk for hospitalization and death due to COVID-19." i.e., when the most vulnerable patients get it, they are toast. It's worse in nursing homes because they are all sitting ducks. Do we all see the importance of social distancing yet?

I'm sure we all agree it's STUPID to put COVID patience in a nursing home facility. It got me wondering about the flu. What percentage of the 20,000-70,000 annual flu deaths happen with people who are in nursing homes? I could not easily find those stats. I bet that it is extremely high percentage.

Old 05-28-2020, 10:03 AM

2,775 posts, read 5,753,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
That's a shocking statistic (percentage of deaths in an aging facility). Though I would have guessed far more people than 2.1 million.

Don't forget the last paragraph of the link https://freopp.org/the-covid-19-nurs...s-3a47433c3f70 :
"On the flip side, it would appear that elderly individuals who do not live in nursing homes may be at a somewhat lower, while still significant, the risk for hospitalization and death due to COVID-19." i.e., when the most vulnerable patients get it, they are toast. It's worse in nursing homes because they are all sitting ducks. Do we all see the importance of social distancing yet?

I'm sure we all agree it's STUPID to put COVID patience in a nursing home facility. It got me wondering about the flu. What percentage of the 20,000-70,000 annual flu deaths happen with people who are in nursing homes? I could not easily find those stats. I bet that it is extremely high percentage.

From a 10 yr old CDC report (quick dig, trying to avoid rabbit holes ):
Influenza infections are associated with thousands of deaths every year in the United States, with the majority of deaths from seasonal influenza occurring among adults aged ≥65 years (1--4).

Health professionals probably knew, or should have known, that nursing homes were vulnerable but somewhere along the lines the policy decision was made to return patients. I assume it was a "triage" type decision to try and ensure that hospitals weren't overwhelmed (trying to avoid thinking about the more cynical possibilities).

Old 05-28-2020, 10:19 AM

4,866 posts, read 11,275,829 times
I work in a nursing home and the AZ governor has issued an executive order that we are required to take our COVID-19 patients back. We're resisting but the hospitals are fighting us tooth and nail. We have hospital executives visiting us to meet with our Executive Director demanding that we take COVID-19 patients back. We're under tremendous pressure from the hospitals and the insurance companies to take COVID-19 patients and put our other healthy residents at risk. Executive Order 2020-22 item #3.

We're not receiving PPE to care for covid patients like the hospitals are. All the medical supply companies are prioritizing the hospitals over everyone else. Our staff are forced to wear surgical masks over and over for multiple days. I went to be tested at a Banner testing site and I could not believe the amount of PPE being wasted during my short 15 minute visit. The gal checking me in on the computer changed her mask twice while I was with her and I was only with her for 5 minutes at the most. She would walk into a shaded and air conditioned tent and each time she would take off the mask and discard it and put on a new one when she came out. The five nurses in the testing tent remove and discard their gowns, gloves, and masks after each test given. Even though I only dealt with one nurse that gave me the test, there were five in the tent during my test and I watched them all change their PPE prior to me driving into the tent. The hospitals have the PPE to behave like this, we don't have enough to get through the day and we have to ration to accomplish that.

Last edited by LBTRS; 05-28-2020 at 10:39 AM..

Old 05-28-2020, 10:36 AM

2,775 posts, read 5,753,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
I work in a nursing home and the AZ governor has issued an executive order that we are required to take our COVID-19 patients back. We're resisting but the hospitals are fighting us tooth and nail. We have hospital executives visiting us to meet with our Executive Director demanding that we take COVID-19 patients back. We're under tremendous pressure from the hospitals and the insurance companies to take COVID-19 patients and put our other healthy residents at risk. Executive Order 2020-22 item #3.

We're not receiving PPE to care for covid patients like the hospitals are. All the medical supply companies are prioritizing the hospitals over everyone else. Our staff are forced to wear surgical masks over and over for multiple days. I went to be tested at a Banner testing site and I could not believe the amount of PPE being wasted during my short 15 minute visit. The gal checking me in on the computer changed her mask twice while I was with her and I was only with her for 5 minutes at the most. She would walk into a shaded and air conditioned tent and each time she would take off the mask and discard it and put on a new one when she came out. The five nurses in the testing tent remove and discard their gowns, gloves, and masks after each test given. Even though I only dealt with one nurse that gave me the test, there were five in the tent during my test and I watched them all change their PPE prior to me driving into the tent. The hospitals have the PPE to behave like this, we don't have enough to get through the day and we have to ration to accomplish that.
Good link.

The PPE issue you describe is nuts. Seems like the type of precautions you'd take with Ebola.

Old 05-28-2020, 10:50 AM

13,574 posts, read 7,536,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post

We're not receiving PPE to care for covid patients like the hospitals are. All the medical supply companies are prioritizing the hospitals over everyone else. Our staff are forced to wear surgical masks over and over for multiple days. I went to be tested at a Banner testing site and I could not believe the amount of PPE being wasted during my short 15 minute visit. The gal checking me in on the computer changed her mask twice while I was with her and I was only with her for 5 minutes at the most. She would walk into a shaded and air conditioned tent and each time she would take off the mask and discard it and put on a new one when she came out. The five nurses in the testing tent remove and discard their gowns, gloves, and masks after each test given. Even though I only dealt with one nurse that gave me the test, there were five in the test during my test and I watched them all change their PPE prior to me driving into the tent. The hospitals have the PPE to behave like this, we don't have enough to get through the day and we have to ration to accomplish that.

That would not surprise me because insurance companies hate anyone being in a hospital. Their bottom line is all that matters to them. The Governor he is just following lobbyist orders from insurance companies.

I like that website suppose to be non partisan https://freopp.org

Old 05-28-2020, 11:01 AM

1,108 posts, read 1,391,418 times
This could be the canary in the coal mine...Maricopa hospitalizations in my daily COVID tracker spiked 28.33% in the last 24 hours.

It had been steadily declining from end of March at around 16% down to 0-4% in April til yesterday. It spiked in the last 24 hours up 28.33%, a shocking increase.

Ironically, AZ Republic had an ill-timed article about hospitalizations yesterday about how hospitalizations were on the decline or plateau...it became instantly outdated today.

This is why people need to wear masks and do everything they can to stop the spread of this disease. This curve might be spiking because so many people are not wearing masks and acting as if we're back to normal.

Masks help alot to mitigate casual spread. It's so frustrating to see people against mask usage. I guess they won't learn until numbers spike again.

Old 05-28-2020, 06:48 PM

656 posts, read 819,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidAZ View Post
This could be the canary in the coal mine...Maricopa hospitalizations in my daily COVID tracker spiked 28.33% in the last 24 hours.

It had been steadily declining from end of March at around 16% down to 0-4% in April til yesterday. It spiked in the last 24 hours up 28.33%, a shocking increase.

Ironically, AZ Republic had an ill-timed article about hospitalizations yesterday about how hospitalizations were on the decline or plateau...it became instantly outdated today.

This is why people need to wear masks and do everything they can to stop the spread of this disease. This curve might be spiking because so many people are not wearing masks and acting as if we're back to normal.

Masks help alot to mitigate casual spread. It's so frustrating to see people against mask usage. I guess they won't learn until numbers spike again.

I am social distancing but not wearing a mask, whether to shop, walk down the street or drive. When cops begin arresting me for doing these things, I will move elsewhere. I expect you will love the high taxes imposed to pay for the thousands of cops necessary to enforce the eternal face condoms.

Old 05-28-2020, 11:12 PM

9,185 posts, read 16,722,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by More Rock View Post
I am social distancing but not wearing a mask, whether to shop, walk down the street or drive. When cops begin arresting me for doing these things, I will move elsewhere. I expect you will love the high taxes imposed to pay for the thousands of cops necessary to enforce the eternal face condoms.
Or just be a good, selfless person, lookout for others and wear a damn mask when you go to a store. It’s not like you’re being asked to do anything too difficult. People are so disgusting.

Old 05-29-2020, 12:11 AM

8,056 posts, read 12,343,324 times
Masks aren't anywhere close to 100% effective, specifically the generic kinds that are found in most grocery & drug stores. At the same time, if a business requires patrons to wear masks, why resist? It doesn't really help, but it can't hurt. Besides, if a person refuses to mask up, management can show him/her to the exit. Similar to the "no shoes, no shirt, no service" rule. No mask, no service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area