Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2020, 10:31 PM

6,783 posts, read 5,089,024 times

Advertisements

I don’t expect people to wear masks outside at a park. But anytime we’ve gone to a park we see kids playing football, for instance, or fairly large groups of people with no regard to putting any space between themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2020, 08:51 AM

39,107 posts, read 51,328,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Masks are worn pretty extensively inside most of the stores I've been to lately. Employees wear them non stop, and a sizeable number of customers are also wearing them. The issue is not so much if people are wearing them, but how effective they are. The vast majority of masks are only able to filter a small percentage of allergens & microbes ... so they're really more for showing that you're making an attempt to reduce the spread. As for the "poor compliance" at parks or anywhere else outdoors, it's pretty obvious that wearing masks in this heat is extremely uncomfortable to say the least.
It is a disgrace that months into the pandemic we still can't buy anything but questionable surgical masks and cheap, probably ineffective KN95 Chinese knockoffs not to mention hand sanitizer. Heads should be rolling. So people are doing what they can with homemade masks. Better than nothing.

Old 06-05-2020, 09:34 AM

9,820 posts, read 11,208,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
It is a disgrace that months into the pandemic we still can't buy anything but questionable surgical masks and cheap, probably ineffective KN95 Chinese knockoffs not to mention hand sanitizer. Heads should be rolling. So people are doing what they can with homemade masks. Better than nothing.
Go to Sam's Club in Surprise. They have PALLETS and PALLETs of bulk paper towels, no shortage of hand sanitizer (two kinds: limit one), and a massive three-pack of wipes that will last you several weeks (limit one). You can do an online scheduled pick-up as well.

Option 2: they have senior and at-risk times start at 7:00AM - 9:00AM every Tuesday and Thursday.

Old 06-05-2020, 10:06 AM

4,866 posts, read 11,242,549 times
I went out to eat last night for the first time since the lock down started. Went to Manuel's Mexican Restaurant in Goodyear...

We were almost peer pressured into not wearing a mask as not one other person in the full restaurant wore a mask entering or exiting. The staff all had masks but none of the customers. My family felt out of place with our masks.

Old 06-05-2020, 10:10 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,671,628 times
^that’s how I felt during a recent trip to Basha’s. It won’t make me not wear my mask but I think it speaks to the need of businesses to step up and mandate policies to protect their patrons. Costco seems to be doing just fine.

Old 06-05-2020, 11:31 AM

105 posts, read 85,088 times
Quote:

Homemade masks are probably considerably better than nothing as it appears the primary transmission of virus is airborne respiratory droplets. But they're better at reducing spread to others vs. protecting the wearer. For these less effective masks to help, everyone has to wear one where risk of transmission is high(indoors, close proximity to others).

Old 06-05-2020, 12:03 PM

2,791 posts, read 7,466,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
I went out to eat last night for the first time since the lock down started. Went to Manuel's Mexican Restaurant in Goodyear...

We were almost peer pressured into not wearing a mask as not one other person in the full restaurant wore a mask entering or exiting. The staff all had masks but none of the customers. My family felt out of place with our masks.
If you are there to eat and drink, why would you wear a mask? I supposed you could wear a mask for your brief interaction at the host station, but that encounter is so short that the risk to anyone is minimal.

Old 06-05-2020, 12:26 PM

2,003 posts, read 2,887,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
If you are there to eat and drink, why would you wear a mask? I supposed you could wear a mask for your brief interaction at the host station, but that encounter is so short that the risk to anyone is minimal.
Actually, my question was the same except for one word... if they're eating and drinking, *how* would they wear a mask? On-off-on-off-on-off-on-off? I'd have more grease on the mask than I would the napkin.

Old 06-05-2020, 12:31 PM

2,791 posts, read 7,466,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamson520 View Post
Actually, my question was the same except for one word... if they're eating and drinking, *how* would they wear a mask? On-off-on-off-on-off-on-off? I'd have more grease on the mask than I would the napkin.
Yes, and we’re being told not to touch the mask a lot or take it on and off repeatedly because doing so could actually increase risk. I’ve had a handful of online debates in other forums about the issue of customers wearing masks in restaurants, and after some evasion, it turns out the answer is usually along the lines of “Eating in a restaurant dining room is unsafe, so don’t do it.” In other words, some of the most ardent restrictionists are basically setting impossible expectations in order to shame people into not dining out even when it’s allowed.

Old 06-05-2020, 12:58 PM

15,253 posts, read 13,004,989 times
Quote:
The KN95s are crap. No question about it. I bought a vacuum cleaner from an Amazon seller and she sent me a pack of KN95s to use as dust masks. I'm not even sure they're good for that.

Many of the major hospitals (Stanford and Mayo Clinic among them) have said they have an ample stock of PPE for the future. You're right: It IS a disgrace genuine N95s are being withheld from the general populace.

I can tell you where to get hand sanitizer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area