Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2020, 09:29 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,666,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by belgirl View Post
LOL...I was just talking about that to someone the other day...
Simply amazing. One minute the WHO is a scam and should be defunded and then as soon as it may seem to support some of the fringe right’s agenda (certainly not all conservatives have taken the bizarre stance against mask wearing), their guidance is being cited. You can’t make this stuff up!

The difference between the CDC’s and the WHO’s guidance on masks is quite simple. The WHO makes global guidance. In much of the world it is still difficult to obtain masks, thus the guidance is in place to not penalize nor stigmatize those in countries where masks are difficult to come by. Closer to home lies the CDC’s guidance which applies to Americans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2020, 07:31 AM

39,107 posts, read 51,313,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
Arizona hits new high for impatient hospital admittance for Covid-19. I wonder if were starting to see a spike in Arizona after the re-open. Case numbers based on testing hasn't been accurate way to judge any increase in real cases. Death rates, and hospitalization numbers can be used as those figures are much more accurate is lagging for a number of weeks. We should see those numbers spike middle of June if re-open is causing any new spread.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...us/5291126002/

Source of the data I think is this link
https://www.azdhs.gov/preparedness/e...ards/index.php
Area hospitals are committing more and more beds to COVID as it gradually increases. It is not a "new" spread. It just never went down. The state massaged and cherry picked data to justify reopening at the start rather than the end of the outbreak in Arizona. Cases and deaths should continue to increase over the summer maybe increased because the resistance to wearing masks and the reopening of places where people congregate.

Old 05-31-2020, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Area hospitals are committing more and more beds to COVID as it gradually increases. It is not a "new" spread. It just never went down. The state massaged and cherry picked data to justify reopening at the start rather than the end of the outbreak in Arizona. Cases and deaths should continue to increase over the summer maybe increased because the resistance to wearing masks and the reopening of places where people congregate.
Even the cherry-picked data that Ducey used is now on the rise.

Old 05-31-2020, 10:30 AM

8,046 posts, read 12,288,020 times
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...-us-cases.html

Interesting to note that a lot of the areas with the greatest increases in cases are in the southern U.S. A little ray of hope for Arizona is the number of new cases have remained pretty much the same ... however, as far as cases per capita, the darker shaded areas in AZ are (once again) the rural areas in the NE parts of the state, specifically Navajo. As a state, Arizona is fairing better than many others as far as number of cases per 100,000, including here in populous Maricopa County.

At the same time, it's obvious the record heat wave has done little or nothing to stop the spread or reduce the number of cases. We'll have to see if the number of cases and deaths increase over the summer. If they do, it's further proof that our blast furnace heat has very little benefit except creating 4 months of misery.

Old 05-31-2020, 10:38 AM

6,407 posts, read 9,002,651 times
Quote:
Are they cherry picking data or just grasping the reality that we cannot be closed forever? Be grateful to be in a position to withstand an arbitrary declaration that you are unessential as declared in other states. Be grateful that your livelihood has not been seized and not forced to resort to CARES Act distributions from your retirement.

Old 05-31-2020, 11:22 AM

13,871 posts, read 8,072,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
I am in San Fran as we speak. I am guessing 90 percent of the people are wearing masks. Maybe 20 percent the PHX area??

Off topic but...

I'm glad I sold my property last year and got out when I did. However, I will always return to visit because of memories. I grew up there.

Where you staying?

Old 05-31-2020, 11:32 AM

13,871 posts, read 8,072,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Yesterday, I was in the Mission District which has a heavy Hispanic influence. I literally saw homeless people wearing masks. In this area of the town, only 11% are Asian. http:////www.city-data.com/neighborh...ncisco-CA.html In fact, they just completed a 4,000 person COVID sample test in the Mission District. 2% infected. I was told that zero percent of whites tested positive (33% of the population) which was rather odd (or lucky?).

The culture and attitude of wearing a mask here are obviously different.

It's the law:
People in San Francisco must wear a face covering outside in most circumstances under a major new health order
https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/...e-15301735.php

Old 06-02-2020, 10:18 AM

39,107 posts, read 51,313,080 times
Wow. Over 1100 new cases in the state today with 650 or so in the Phoenix area. This blows away any other number we have seen. Percent positive way up as well. It looks like Ducey moved to reopen too soon.

Old 06-02-2020, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Wow. Over 1100 new cases in the state today with 650 or so in the Phoenix area. This blows away any other number we have seen. Percent positive way up as well. It looks like Ducey moved to reopen too soon.
Where are you seeing that? On the AZDHS it's only showing 18 cases for yesterday.

Old 06-02-2020, 12:19 PM

566 posts, read 575,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Where are you seeing that? On the AZDHS it's only showing 18 cases for yesterday.

It's on their website when you look at the data dash board.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area