Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2020, 09:55 PM

1,108 posts, read 1,384,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
It wasn't about them being malicious. It was about them being ignorant, and their false statements helped create a huge debate about wearing masks vs. not wearing them. I said for a long time that masks provide protection, but they're not 100% effective. Even before COVID, I wore masks during the rare times I had sinus infections, so not to infect my family or anybody else. The problem is: when we have "leading experts" and the top infectious disease doctor saying masks are unnecessary, then doing a complete 180 & trying to cover up the blunder, their credibility is affected.
No, because they needed to understand more about this novel virus, and keep precious stockpiles of PPE / masks from run out by Covidiots, for use by first responders and medical staff who were dealing with confirmed patients of COVID. Simple logic.

It's early 6 months later since COVID appeared, and we still don't see any N95 masks being available for most people, and only have inferior cloth masks that took months to ramp up in terms of production and distribution. Better than nothing, but there was nothing malicious or ignorant at the time the statement was made back in January / February. Hell, I was flying across the country in February and meeting people for meetings, dinner, etc., and never got COVID at the time. Wearing masks at time time would have been relatively unproductive and cumbersome. Now with more facts being known, and more people being infected, masks are absolutely more important now than ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2020, 10:18 PM

30,189 posts, read 11,827,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidAZ View Post
No, because they needed to understand more about this novel virus, and keep precious stockpiles of PPE / masks from run out by Covidiots, for use by first responders and medical staff who were dealing with confirmed patients of COVID. Simple logic.
Well said. If in March the health and government leaders had told everyone to wear a mask, the supply all over the country would have evaporated almost instantly like TP and still not enough supply for all Americans and at the same time making it impossible for 1st responders to get them. Many more would have died as a result.

Only problem now is too many ignorant people seem to use the back and forth on the masks as an excuse to not wear them or to distrust the powers that be on this. That will also cause a loss of life.

Old 07-07-2020, 10:22 PM

42,854 posts, read 26,316,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Well said. If in March the health and government leaders had told everyone to wear a mask, the supply all over the country would have evaporated almost instantly like TP and still not enough supply for all Americans and at the same time making it impossible for 1st responders to get them. Many more would have died as a result.

Only problem now is too many ignorant people seem to use the back and forth on the masks as an excuse to not wear them or to distrust the powers that be on this. That will also cause a loss of life.
True, but look what Taiwan did to avoid that problem - they put their military to work making masks, and their experience with Sars 1 taught them that surgical masks are adequate, which are quick and cheap to make, so they didn't try to outfit the entire population with N95 masks, and they must have been right, they have had tremendous success in practically eradicating the virus.

Old 07-07-2020, 10:24 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,654,639 times
Quote:

Exactly. The biggest miss was underestimating the stupidity and paranoia of so many.

Old 07-08-2020, 04:55 AM

9,750 posts, read 11,174,324 times
Quote:
I give Dr. Fauci the benefit of the doubt, because at the time this was said, the number of infected was relatively small and could be conceivably be contained with decent contact tracing and self-quarantine.

I don't understand how some people don't understand this very important distinction, and how they continually post unreasonable critique of people trying to do the very best in the early days of this novel virus.
Considering who Fauci's is working for, I too appreciate his overall performance. Not so much the SG who was back peddling on TV re: the SD 4th of July event and not asking people to wear masks. He is still a "yes man". Now, I don't believe a word he says.

Sorry. You don't get to lie to the general public by way of "the ends justify the means". When he lied, he still is causing general confusion (and overall harm) in the general public.

The SG said:
“Seriously people- STOP BUYING MASKS!” Adams wrote on Twitter, addressing fears over the spread of the virus in the U.S.They are NOT effective in preventing general public from catching #Coronavirus, but if healthcare providers can’t get them to care for sick patients, it puts them and our communities at risk!”

He should have only said: "Seriously people- STOP BUYING MASKS! If healthcare providers can’t get them to care for sick patients, it puts them and our communities at risk!" Now if Michigan was able to stop people from buying seeds and gardening supplies, surely a quick stroke of the pen through an executive order could have only allowed PPE sales to healthcare businesses. That would have been an easy fix.

Quote:
I don't understand how some people don't understand this very important distinction, and how they continually post unreasonable critique of people trying to do the very best in the early days of this novel virus.

Common sense does not seem very common at all these days. I'm saddened by much of what I read online.

Have so many people lost their damn minds to critically think?
To me, common sense and critical thinking can be judged by examining what he accomplished. I propose his approach didn't do a damn bit of good. Because his blatant lie still didn't stop a run on PPE. I know. I tried to buy PPE after his speech. You could not buy it. I had a few hours into it and came up empty. I tried getting them from my packaging supply accounts like Uline (they sell N95 painting masks). Nothing! I finally got a few used N95 from my dentist daughter and I am still using the same three (I have only entered a business a total of 10 times since early March).

My point was that even if 1/3 of the people were chasing personal PPE and stockpiling them (and they were), what did he accomplish? Nothing other than lying. So to me, that's what my common sense tells me. Evidently, YMMV. Ethics be damned, lies are o.k. Got it! Critical thinking would suggest that Trump could have made a quick executive order to stop businesses from selling PPE to the public. Easy and honest.

Last edited by MN-Born-n-Raised; 07-08-2020 at 06:12 AM..

Old 07-08-2020, 08:19 AM

551 posts, read 694,059 times
Quote:

Going back and forth as you mentioned just causes people to distrust the government. Instead of asking or even begging the public to do social good and trusting them to do it, they lied to us like we're children that can't understand the need for medical to have the supplies first.

This now has caused people to throw everything out the window even if it's good advice. Cat is out of the bag, you won't bring back public trust easily. It's a mess.

Old 07-08-2020, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusland View Post
Going back and forth as you mentioned just causes people to distrust the government. Instead of asking or even begging the public to do social good and trusting them to do it, they lied to us like we're children that can't understand the need for medical to have the supplies first.

This now has caused people to throw everything out the window even if it's good advice. Cat is out of the bag, you won't bring back public trust easily. It's a mess.
Nah. The adults understand that a novel virus is just that and the approach changes, for a multitude of reasons. It's just a very vocal minority that have allowed this to drive their paranoia to the next level.

AndroidAZ did a great job explaining it here: https://www.city-data.com/forum/58584338-post2109.html

Old 07-08-2020, 09:26 AM

4,866 posts, read 11,230,610 times
We've been told to all wear masks for several weeks and the numbers are not going down. Seems like the numbers would have started to decline by now.

Old 07-08-2020, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
We've been told to all wear masks for several weeks and the numbers are not going down. Seems like the numbers would have started to decline by now.
Hopefully this lack of understanding doesn't lead to people ditching their masks. There are many factors at play here. A few would be, mask enforcement has been minimal and thus compliance isn't where it needs to be. While the numbers are not decreasing, we're also not spiking, so it's a reasonable conclusion that masks are keeping the growth rate in check, given our already wide outbreak by the time mandates were put in place. People continue to act foolishly with large gatherings, dine-in restaurant meals, many gyms remained open until yesterday, etc. Behaviors still need a lot of adjustment for us to see a decline. Masks aren't a silver bullet.

Old 07-08-2020, 09:39 AM

15,253 posts, read 12,981,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
Stupidity has no end date.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area