Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2020, 12:06 PM

525 posts, read 540,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelino19 View Post
"One big Mexican guy"...did you get his name? How big was he? Was he waving a Mexican Flag?

Actually he was. Feel better now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2020, 01:42 PM

24,522 posts, read 26,066,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autism360 View Post
Great News!!!!!! Hydroxy has been proven to work Just make sure you take it early on

Study finds hydroxychloroquine helped coronavirus patients survive better
By CNN, July 3, 2020

A surprising new study found that the controversial antimalarial drug hydroxychloroquine helped patients better survive in the hospital.

A team at Henry Ford Health System in Southeast Michigan said Thursday its study of 2,541 hospitalized patients found that those given hydroxychloroquine were much less likely to die.
Dr. Marcus Zervos, division head of infectious disease for Henry Ford Health System, said 26% of those not given hydroxychloroquine died, compared to 13% of those who got the drug. The team looked back at everyone treated in the hospital system since the first patient in March.
https://gellerreport.com/2020/07/hyd...e-better.html/
And 2 days later WHO posts this.

https://www.sciencetimes.com/article...ble-danger.htm

Old 07-05-2020, 07:47 PM

8,046 posts, read 12,292,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Admit?? Interesting choice of words.... You didn't find a link that shows "heat and humidity reduces the transmission of COVID". Rather, heat and humidity don't seem to help all that much. I was saying that all along. More specifically, it probably kills the virus but other variables are much more important. Before you take a victory lap, find me something credible that suggests "heat and humidity help the spread". You might be the only person in the world floating that idea.
I might indeed be one of the very few stating that the intensity of the sun & heat are enhancing the COVID spread. You said yourself that heat & humidity don't help very much, and we have the facts that the Sunbelt region is experiencing the worst outbreak during the hottest time of year. In most cases, viruses become less potent during the hotter months, but this one appears to be different ... and like I stated many times before: nobody knows enough about it to make any correct conclusions at this point.

Quote:
You found nothing to validate your POV and you are back on it with the cooler states. One difference is that cooler states (Maine, AK, ND, NH, ID, MT) all have fairly homogeneous populations (white) and are spread out or farther apart. So culturally speaking, they are not living in multigenerational homes and outbreaks take longer to take off. But rest assured, it will eventually come their way. Maybe tourism in the Idaho panhandle? Spots like NE, SD, and IA have meatpacking plants that have been beefing up the transmission (pun intended).
Because the cooler northern regions aren't experiencing anywhere near the number of cases that Arizona, Florida, and Texas are. That's blatantly obvious just by glancing at any of the latest figures. Being more spread out matters very little. Some here on this forum were spewing that exact rhetoric about metro Phoenix: we're "less dense", more "suburban styled", and more "detached" than the eastern cities, so that protects us more from viruses. We know this is pure nonsense because Houston & Phoenix (two of the largest suburban styled cities in the nation) are now two of the hardest hit areas in the nation. Just a few weeks ago, the very rural & spread out Navajo Nation was getting slammed.

Quote:
I assumed you knew that I comparing apples to apples. If I was in a restaurant or business in northern MN, chances are the air-conditioned would be turned off or it barely runs. Or if it wasn't raining, businesses have their free airconditioning on.... as in, they would open some windows.

In the northern states, people want to eat outside. When it is hot and humid, people want to be inside. In the northern states, the slower season for movies, bowling, clubbing, etc is the summer. It's the opposite of the hot states as they congregate inside.
Generally speaking, this is correct, but many others enjoy getting outside in the summer, even in the Sunbelt states. Beaches are always packed this time of year in places like Florida, the Gulf coast, and California. Many people gather at July 4th celebrations. Recreational areas are crowded, including National Parks. You might have heard that somebody fell to her death at the Grand Canyon yesterday. Obviously, one of the problems here is the lack of social distancing and plain stupidity, which makes me wonder if the Sunbelt just has more idiots per capita ... and if so, why? Perhaps it's the HEAT! Here's one report about how heat produces lower mentality:
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...your-brain-too

Quote:
As for who I voted for.
Blah blah blah. I don't care who you voted for, and my point was that politics shouldn't even be a factor in this discussion. Unfortunately, too many people have made nearly everything political, even weather & sports! It really has more to do with common sense and reasonable intelligence, and the differences are pretty obvious between those who wear masks vs. those who don't.

Old 07-05-2020, 07:53 PM

8,046 posts, read 12,292,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelino19 View Post
You criticize California for locking down early, then reopening, then locking down again. But as of July 2, Los Angeles County (population 10 Million), the most infected county in the State, had an infection rate of 9.0. As of July 2 Arizona had an infection rate of 24.2 Does a lock down, masks and social distancing work? You bet it does.
What are you talking about? California is one of the harder hit states recently, so it seems apparent that this back & forth shuffle (shutting down, opening, and shutting down again) isn't making that much of a difference. If anything, it's making things worse, especially when you consider how devastating it has been on the economic front. Unemployment is up, profits are down, and small businesses are taking the biggest hit. Social distancing, yes. Masks, yes. Stopping and/or restricting commerce? Absolutely not!

Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
The same WHO that proclaimed it's unnecessary for healthy people to wear masks in the pandemic???

Old 07-05-2020, 11:51 PM

9,820 posts, read 11,205,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
I might indeed be one of the very few stating that the intensity of the sun & heat are enhancing the COVID spread. You said yourself that heat & humidity don't help very much, and we have the facts that the Sunbelt region is experiencing the worst outbreak during the hottest time of year. In most cases, viruses become less potent during the hotter months, but this one appears to be different ... and like I stated many times before: nobody knows enough about it to make any correct conclusions at this point.
It hasn't dawned on you yet that you can remove the words "very few". Rather, it can be noted that not a single technical mind who studies this topic has even brought it up. Zero, nadda, ziltch. For most, that would be all that they needed to hear.

If PHX did some more testing on the origin of the virus, maybe they would also have concluded that the more contagious coronavirus G614 strain/mutation is a big reason why our infection rate is higher than other states (G614 strain is touted to be 10x more infectious). After all, Houston seems to be more prone to the G614 strain (google it). I've been looking to see if PHX is dominated by the G614 strain but so far nothing has been published. Read more about it here https://www.biospace.com/article/mut...re-contagious/ Time will tell....

Or maybe the fact that TX, CA, AZ, and FL have many more Hispanics than the northern states (hence my homogenous population comment that was reflected in asufan post). remember, dozens of papers have suggested that heat and humidity help reduce the infection rate. The only question that ever mattered was would it be enough to overcome larger variables. We have an answer and it is a resounding no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Being more spread out matters very little. Some here on this forum were spewing that exact rhetoric about metro Phoenix: we're "less dense", more "suburban styled", and more "detached" than the eastern cities, so that protects us more from viruses. We know this is pure nonsense because Houston & Phoenix (two of the largest suburban styled cities in the nation) are now two of the hardest hit areas in the nation. Just a few weeks ago, the very rural & spread out Navajo Nation was getting slammed.
You do realize that the Navajo Nation lives in multi-generational (crowded) housing. Right? You also realize that the Navajo Nation as a population is more obese. That causes comorbidities like higher BP and poor eating habits which causes diabetes. If you knew that, you certainly wouldn't attempt to compare "spread out" and Navajo in the same sentence. Cut, paste, repeat for poorer black and poorer Hispanic populations. It's why Chicago (many more poor black neighborhoods) are doing much worse than white, higher-income MN, WI, or Iowa. For most people reading this, I'm not telling them anything new.

As I've typed a few times, most people realize that the infection rate, as well as the mortality rate, is multivariable. The weighted averages of some variables can dominate others making "heat" for example semi-irrelevant. I've wasted my time before attempting to explain it to you. But being "spread out" in podunk Idaho limits the infection rate especially when it's the furthest thing from an international destination.

I shouldn't have to mention this but all of these topics are discussing correlations. OF COURSE we can find multiple examples when it goes against a strong correlation. When someone points out a few examples that don't make sense in their head as some sort of proof, it simply shows that they lack the technical background to understand science 101.

Additionally, pretty much everyone understands politics have entered into this COVID topic and the spread of the virus. Even as simple as a governor that delays policies by a few days can have a major impact because the infection rate because the virus follows exceptional growth patterns. I googled what I just said if you care to learn https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/20/u...ng-deaths.html Ducey, Abbott (TX), and DeSantis (FL) all opened up early and delayed on requiring masks. Reason: politics. Again, I thought that was pretty obvious.

Last edited by MN-Born-n-Raised; 07-06-2020 at 12:24 AM..

Old 07-06-2020, 12:20 AM

re: CA and COVID. Yea, they have a lot of cases. But they are home of 40,000,000 people.

Note the following. From https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/07/...ona-and-texas/

New daily cases per 100,000 residents (past 7 days)
1. Arizona – 39.1
2. Florida – 30.7
3. South Carolina – 24.7
4. Louisiana – 21.0
5. Mississippi – 20.5
6. Nevada – 20.0
7. Arkansas – 19.8
8. Alabama – 19.6
9. Texas – 18.8
10. Georgia – 18.7
11. Utah – 16.7
12. California – 13.6
13. Tennessee – 13.5
14. North Carolina – 13.5
15. Iowa – 12.2
16. Idaho – 12.0
Source: Harvard Global Health Institute

Percent positive (past 7 days)
1. Arizona – 24%
2. Florida – 16%
3. Nevada – 14.9%
4. Texas – 14.4%
5. South Carolina – 14%
6. Mississippi – 13.9%
7. Georgia – 13.3%
8. Idaho – 13%
9. Alabama – 12.5%
10. Utah – 10.2%
11. Kansas – 9.4%
12. Arkansas – 8.9%
13. Tennessee – 8.1%
14. Louisiana – 7.4%
15. South Dakota – 6.9%
16. Iowa – 6.9%
17. North Carolina – 6.8%
18. Wyoming – 6.6%
19. California – 6.4%

Old 07-06-2020, 01:03 AM

2,775 posts, read 5,735,410 times
Quote:
re: CA and COVID. Yea, they have a lot of cases. But they are home of 40,000,000 people.

1. Arizona – 39.1
2. Florida – 30.7
3. South Carolina – 24.7
4. Louisiana – 21.0
5. Mississippi – 20.5
6. Nevada – 20.0
7. Arkansas – 19.8
8. Alabama – 19.6
9. Texas – 18.8
10. Georgia – 18.7
11. Utah – 16.7
12. California – 13.6
13. Tennessee – 13.5
15. Iowa – 12.2
16. Idaho – 12.0

1. Arizona – 24%
2. Florida – 16%
3. Nevada – 14.9%
4. Texas – 14.4%
5. South Carolina – 14%
6. Mississippi – 13.9%
7. Georgia – 13.3%
8. Idaho – 13%
9. Alabama – 12.5%
10. Utah – 10.2%
11. Kansas – 9.4%
12. Arkansas – 8.9%
13. Tennessee – 8.1%
14. Louisiana – 7.4%
15. South Dakota – 6.9%
16. Iowa – 6.9%
18. Wyoming – 6.6%
19. California – 6.4%

That's why when I look at CA in comparison I do it more by geography. Still a big population difference, but their 10 most southern counties are a decent comp for AZ, especially given our 'connected-ness.'

Old 07-06-2020, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Madolf View Post
That's why when I look at CA in comparison I do it more by geography. Still a big population difference, but their 10 most southern counties are a decent comp for AZ, especially given our 'connected-ness.'
I always appreciate your data mining skills. I haven't looked at the COVID growth rate to see what is happening between PHX metro and southern CA. What did you learn after you normalized the population?

While the mutated D614G COVID variant has proved more infectious in the lab and probably resulting in more transmission in spots like Houston (see https://www.houstonchronicle.com/new...t-15386157.php), I have not observed any data on what they are finding in AZ. I've looked and have come up empty.

Old 07-06-2020, 09:23 AM

525 posts, read 540,765 times
Quote:

1. Arizona – 39.1
2. Florida – 30.7
3. South Carolina – 24.7
4. Louisiana – 21.0
5. Mississippi – 20.5
6. Nevada – 20.0
7. Arkansas – 19.8
8. Alabama – 19.6
9. Texas – 18.8
10. Georgia – 18.7
11. Utah – 16.7
12. California – 13.6
13. Tennessee – 13.5
15. Iowa – 12.2
16. Idaho – 12.0

1. Arizona – 24%
2. Florida – 16%
3. Nevada – 14.9%
4. Texas – 14.4%
5. South Carolina – 14%
6. Mississippi – 13.9%
7. Georgia – 13.3%
8. Idaho – 13%
9. Alabama – 12.5%
10. Utah – 10.2%
11. Kansas – 9.4%
12. Arkansas – 8.9%
13. Tennessee – 8.1%
14. Louisiana – 7.4%
15. South Dakota – 6.9%
16. Iowa – 6.9%
18. Wyoming – 6.6%
19. California – 6.4%
Yeah there is spread, but we were 50th in testing FOREVER. I think we are now only 40th. I feel like we are playing catch up.

Old 07-06-2020, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by belgirl View Post
Yeah there is spread, but we were 50th in testing FOREVER. I think we are now only 40th. I feel like we are playing catch up.
Hundreds are waiting in line for multiple hours. https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...ix/5370217002/ The mayor of PHX begged FEMA for help. FEMA told her to pound sand because they are no longer in the testing business https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/05/w...s-updates.html .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area