Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2020, 12:03 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,666,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by belgirl View Post
So not trying to be snarky but...We have had the "Wear a mask" rule now for 2 weeks. When do they expect to see numbers go down because everyone is requiring a mask?
There’s still a lot of this going on, so I’m not overly optimistic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavia84 View Post
So sad my religious beliefs prohibit me from wearing a mask...
Quote:
HAHAHAHAHAHA!. I told my husband about that exception today. He was so excited.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2020, 01:56 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,951,243 times
Great News!!!!!! Hydroxy has been proven to work Just make sure you take it early on

Study finds hydroxychloroquine helped coronavirus patients survive better
By CNN, July 3, 2020

A surprising new study found that the controversial antimalarial drug hydroxychloroquine helped patients better survive in the hospital.

A team at Henry Ford Health System in Southeast Michigan said Thursday its study of 2,541 hospitalized patients found that those given hydroxychloroquine were much less likely to die.
Dr. Marcus Zervos, division head of infectious disease for Henry Ford Health System, said 26% of those not given hydroxychloroquine died, compared to 13% of those who got the drug. The team looked back at everyone treated in the hospital system since the first patient in March.
https://gellerreport.com/2020/07/hyd...e-better.html/

Old 07-03-2020, 02:08 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,238,953 times
Due to all the attacks on hydroxychloroquine, simply because the President touted it, a lot less people received it that may have been saved.

Old 07-03-2020, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
Due to all the attacks on hydroxychloroquine, simply because the President touted it, a lot less people received it that may have been saved.
That’s not at all true. The FDA didn’t remove their emergency use authorization “because the president touted it”. They did so because every other study done showed no benefit, and in some cases harm.

More research is clearly needed.

Old 07-03-2020, 02:21 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,200,038 times
Quote:
So not trying to be snarky but...We have had the "Wear a mask" rule now for 2 weeks. When do they expect to see numbers go down because everyone is requiring a mask?
For starters, you have to know how to wear a mask 1st. i.e. not have it below your nose or to thick where you can't breathe through it. It's been discussed pretty much everywhere that it takes 2-3 weeks JUST to stop the increased spread. For instance, on average, the incubation period is 5 days. So the "peak" is about should be in another week. Then it will hover for a while before it drops.

Currently, the infection rate is at 1.26. My guess is it will be a couple of weeks before it falls below 1.0. In order for the infections to go down, we have to drop it below 1.0. Even a small shift in the infection rate has a massive impact because of exponential growth.

Old 07-03-2020, 02:34 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,200,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
That’s not at all true. The FDA didn’t remove their emergency use authorization “because the president touted it”. They did so because every other study done showed no benefit, and in some cases harm.

I've mentioned it before but it deserves repeating... Big picture, if the study isn't a randomized placebo-controlled trial and the percentages between the drug are close, then it's a worthless conversation or "study". Unfortunately, most people don't understand the magnitude of this last sentence. Putting it another way, if a person believes in a pill or God or _____, it will actually change the brain chemistry in 25-40% of the believers. That didn't mean that the pill of God or whatever actually worked. Rather, the placebo effect was at work. And yes, you can get better (an actual change) if you believe that it worked.

Here is one example: from https://www.drugs.com/article/placebo-effect.html
"In pain studies utilizing brain imaging, it has been shown that administration of a placebo to patients who believed they were receiving an analgesic (pain-relieving) medication led to the activation of the endogenous opioid system in the brain."

Old 07-03-2020, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
I've mentioned it before but it deserves repeating... Big picture, if the study isn't a randomized placebo-controlled trial and the percentages between the drug are close, then it's a worthless conversation or "study". Unfortunately, most people don't understand the magnitude of this last sentence. Putting it another way, if a person believes in a pill or God or _____, it will actually change the brain chemistry in 25-40% of the believers. That didn't mean that the pill of God or whatever actually worked. Rather, the placebo effect was at work. And yes, you can get better (an actual change) if you believe that it worked.

Here is one example: from https://www.drugs.com/article/placebo-effect.html
"In pain studies utilizing brain imaging, it has been shown that administration of a placebo to patients who believed they were receiving an analgesic (pain-relieving) medication led to the activation of the endogenous opioid system in the brain."
How does that relate to the recent study cited above? Genuinely asking.

Old 07-03-2020, 02:44 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,238,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post

Public policy is being driven by rhetoric, that should be obvious to everyone.

Old 07-03-2020, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
Public policy is being driven by rhetoric, that should be obvious to everyone.
Right, the FDA is in on a conspiracy to take down our noble and compassionate president and one small step at getting there is to remove hydroxychloroquine’s emergency use authorization. How could we have been so blind?!

Or maybe their decision had to do with the multiple studies showing the drug’s lack of efficacy/harmfulness.

Old 07-03-2020, 04:09 PM

525 posts, read 540,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringler24 View Post
It's not being enforced. The majority of people who were wearing them before are still wearing them and the rest mostly aren't.
Actually, I don't see that is the case in Gilbert. I went on a shopping spree today (yeah, don't hate, there were things I needed to get) and out of all 5 stores, including Walmart, everyone was wearing a mask except one big Mexican guy in Fry's. Even the teens were wearing masks. I will be interested to see if shutting down the bars, clubs and gyms will make any difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area