Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2020, 09:59 AM

1,694 posts, read 1,274,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Not trying to be a conspiracy theorist, but here's a conspiracy theory.

It seems the new default is to claim some sort of hidden ploy when one's opinion ends up being proven wrong. There is almost no point in providing data any longer, because if it doesn't support someone's agenda, it's brushed off, invalidated and chalked up as scam. So yeah, let's drop the conspiracy theories, let the data drive the conversation, and check our bias at the door.

Exactly.
Maybe I've been proven wrong. I'll admit that...I guess. Just saying that common sense tells me otherwise. People in power have an agenda. Numbers can be fudged. Just look back in history. Has our country been a beacon of truth? You don't think scientists lie or mess with statistics to better prove their theory? You don't think politicians lie to get what they want? Come on, you're smarter than that.

And just because someone has a thought that is different from the pack, doesn't make them a conspiracy theorist. It makes them a person who uses their brain - not someone who just posts links to other people's thoughts or talking points from the news.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2020, 10:00 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,920,834 times
Quote:
check our bias at the door.
Hilarious!

Old 07-02-2020, 10:04 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,647,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
Maybe I've been proven wrong. I'll admit that...I guess. Just saying that common sense tells me otherwise. People in power have an agenda. Numbers can be fudged. Just look back in history. Has our country been a beacon of truth? You don't think scientists lie or mess with statistics to better prove their theory? You don't think politicians lie to get what they want? Come on, you're smarter than that.

And just because someone has a thought that is different from the pack, doesn't make them a conspiracy theorist. It makes them a person who uses their brain - not someone who just posts links to other people's thoughts or talking points from the news.
How is that different than a conspiracy theorist? It’s the literal definition. Thinking that one’s “common sense” outweighs facts assumes that there is something being hidden, a conspiracy. Even you must laugh at all these “characters” that think they’re not being “sheep” when following some nonsense COVID theory instead of the experts and the data. People have gotten so paranoid that they think everything is a lie. It’s wild.

Old 07-02-2020, 10:29 AM

2,774 posts, read 5,727,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Here are some protestors COVID testing data out of MN. It's from www.wired.com/story/what-minnesotas-protests-are-revealing-about-covid-19-spread

"As Floyd’s death sparked a massive protest movement that spread from Minneapolis to the rest of the world, epidemiologists and public health officials fretted that the thronging crowds would supercharge viral spread, ........

The decision paved the way for opening four free testing sites around the Twin Cities, in neighborhoods most affected by the protests....Of the 3,200 people tested so far at the four popup sites across the metro, 1.8 percent have tested positive for Covid-19, says Ehresmann. HealthPartners, one of the largest health care providers in Minnesota, also reported to the state that it had tested about 8,500 people who indicated that attendance at a mass gathering was the reason they wanted a test. Among them, 0.99 percent tested positive. These numbers have been one of the few pleasant surprises since the outbreak began, says Ehresmann. “Right now, with the data available to us, it appears there was very little transmission at protest events,” she says. “We’re just absolutely relieved.”

The take away is that if you are outside, shouting, and people around you are wearing a POS mask, the dilution in the atmosphere doesn't seem to allow the virus levels to build up in the air. It also reveals the power of masks for blocking the larger virus loads. My brain is thinking, large particles are the problem or aerosols in a closed-in area. It seems that anything less than a large viral dose substantially drops the odds of getting infected.

Continuing this POV, the states with the prominent upticks that were hot and or humid are entertaining themselves indoors without a mask. That's a recipe for disaster. As others have pointed out, TX, CA, FL, AZ, NV all have something in common: a lot of Hispanics who are getting COVID at a disproportionate level. 1+1=2.

Sorry but the actual take away for me is that too small a sample size leads to just guessing (along with no ability to confirm who was at a protest, for how many days, what was the total, etc.).

Old 07-02-2020, 10:32 AM

13,754 posts, read 8,009,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Interestingly enough, Phoenix proper here has the mandatory mask order, yet last Friday I went to the QT at 16th St&Highland and only me and the employees were wearing masks. There were like 10 other customers and not one was wearing a mask
I don't know anyone why anyone is surprised.

It's easy to go to Fry's on Recker/McKellips (85205) find 90% or more inside wearing a mask. This is because people who live in this area generally follow the rules. They keep the music down at night and at least try to be a good neighbor.

Unfortunately, there are plenty of people in AZ who aren't wearing a mask because they simply can't be bothered.

It's not politically motivated and my guess is most likely don't vote anyway. Cutbacks at work, keeping the kids out of school and now a mask mandate is an on-going hassle they want to forget.

Last Sunday at Red Mountain trail park (Power/Brown) there was huge family gathering in the picnic area for grandma birthday. Alcohol is only allowed with a permit, no kegs and not near the playground.

But the group had a keg and were seated at the long tables near the children swings.

And not a mask in sight. Granted they were mostly as eating and drinking.

However, if they don't give a damn about following the park rules why should they care about wearing a mask during the week.

Old 07-02-2020, 10:50 AM

962 posts, read 469,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Interestingly enough, Phoenix proper here has the mandatory mask order, yet last Friday I went to the QT at 16th St&Highland and only me and the employees were wearing masks. There were like 10 other customers and not one was wearing a mask

I suspect that people planning a "destination" trip like Fry's or Lowe's will gear up as part of their preparation (shopping list - check, canvas bags - check, mask and sanitizer - check). QT is more of a "Well I'm just running in for a second" kind of thing.

Old 07-02-2020, 11:01 AM

5,899 posts, read 6,104,862 times
Quote:
I agree with your assessment about masks, but a few things just don't add up for me. Not trying to be a conspiracy theorist, but come on. These people were in VERY large groups, yelling and shouting, for days on end. On top of that, a lot of these areas are also some of the poorest areas in the Twin Cities metro. So they have two strikes against them - poverty and large gatherings. Sure, they were outside, but there are more factors at play here.

Also, one other thing I just thought of. I would all but guarantee many of the protesters do not actually reside in the areas they were protesting at. A lot of the protesters were white 20 somethings fighting for social justice. Many of them are probably in college or still live with their parents. I highly doubt they live in the riot-stricken neighborhoods. So I don't think many of them would be making the trek back down to that area to get tested. Just a thought.
I agree that a lot of the protestors might be from the suburbs, although a lot of white 20 somethings live on their own in downtown and downtown adjacent neighbourhoods.

But if you have a city of 4 million people (ex Phoenix area), and people go back to normal, and lets say normal means sitting down at a cafe or restaurant once a week, then that means 600,000 people sitting together each day. That's much more than a few thousand protesters.

And yes, I do think that indoor environments are much more risky than outdoor environments. And it's not just the people sitting at the table next to you that are a risk, but also the waiters that spend several hours per day interacting with an ever changing pool of customers, the public washrooms, or waiting in line to take your order in the case of fast food places.

Old 07-02-2020, 11:10 AM

1,694 posts, read 1,274,277 times
Quote:
How is that different than a conspiracy theorist? It’s the literal definition. Thinking that one’s “common sense” outweighs facts assumes that there is something being hidden, a conspiracy. Even you must laugh at all these “characters” that think they’re not being “sheep” when following some nonsense COVID theory instead of the experts and the data. People have gotten so paranoid that they think everything is a lie. It’s wild.
So, just so we are all clear on your position. You think we should open up concerts and sporting events, as long as they are outside and people wear masks? Any venue that is outdoors is fair game for any type of entertainment? Because according to your steadfast position on the protests, it doesn't matter how many people or how close they are, as long as they are outside and masked.

Old 07-02-2020, 11:17 AM

9,744 posts, read 11,165,585 times
Quote:
A lot of the protesters were white 20 somethings fighting for social justice. Many of them are probably in college or still live with their parents. I highly doubt they live in the riot-stricken neighborhoods. So I don't think many of them would be making the trek back down to that area to get tested. Just a thought.
Per my post and referencing the article (and underlined) it said": "HealthPartners, one of the largest health care providers in Minnesota, also reported to the state that it had tested about 8,500 people who indicated that attendance at a mass gathering was the reason they wanted a test. Among them, 0.99 percent tested positive."

Old 07-02-2020, 11:25 AM

13,754 posts, read 8,009,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlurryCat View Post
I suspect that people planning a "destination" trip like Fry's or Lowe's will gear up as part of their preparation (shopping list - check, canvas bags - check, mask and sanitizer - check). QT is more of a "Well I'm just running in for a second" kind of thing.
I'm 60 and can go to Fry's or Costco during the senior hours if necessary.

However, I'm not seeing any panic hording. Most everything I need is readily available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area