Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2020, 12:22 PM

1,695 posts, read 1,281,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
I'm not advocating for protests. I'm saying consider mitigating factors, or lack thereof, when criticizing activities and don't simply call out those that you don't understand/agree with. We've seen far riskier activities than outdoor protesters wearing masks, yet people keep going on about them.

If there is still confusion on haircuts vs. protests, I'd refer you to the Constitution for further clarity.
Lol. Only when the Constitution works in your favor, do you people use it. From a prior post of yours "Time to close the churches!" So...does the Constitution apply to them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2020, 12:27 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,663,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
Not sure a bandanna from Wal-Mart is a viable mitigation technique for the transmission of Covid. Can we agree on that? On top of that, there are thousands of people shoulder to shoulder yelling at the sky. Stuff is still being transmitted. I don't know how you can deny that.

And I will agree that non-masked people shoulder to shoulder at a bar is worse. No doubt. But again, not sure how the whole salon thing is such an issue. And I have absolutely no skin in that game....I shave my head myself.
Actually no. Cloth face coverings are included in the mask recommendations and have been shown to reduce outward spread, at the very least.

A bar yes, but what I was referring to is the political rally held indoors in a church without masks. That's riskier than the protests and yet here we are, still discussing protesters.

Spreads have been linked back to salons. Each stylist is in very close contact with many people throughout their day. It's certainly not the riskiest environment in most cases, but it's one that it seems we could do without for a period while trying to get this back somewhat under control. That's all.

Old 06-30-2020, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
Since I didn't identify anyone, it is good to see that you recognize it is you that has lost all credibility in this argument. Thanks for confirming.

Btw...if the Constitution was the sole reason for your argument you would not have pointed out the political rallies, churches, or "salon protesters, in your previous posts. Again, you are cherry picking based off of your political bias. As we all suspected your POV has little to do with the Constitution.
Nope. We can exercise our Constitutional rights and also maintain pandemic mitigation strategies. Church services can be held remotely. We can limit indoor gatherings. We can freely assemble but wear masks and do so outdoors. Nothing is being cherry-picked. Gathering indoors without masks remains a really stupid activity. Getting a haircut or a manicure is hardly in the same category as an activity mentioned in the Constitution.

Old 06-30-2020, 12:39 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,236,440 times
Just got off the phone with the dealership...tried to get my truck in for service and since their website advertises pick up and drop off services for maintenance I called to schedule my truck to be picked up and serviced...

The service writer announces that "we were doing that back when things were locked down, we're not offering that now that things are opened back up". This is why Arizona numbers are so high...people don't realize we're in the worst shape we have been and now is when we need all the mitigation practices we wasted too early when NYC was at their peak. There is no way I'm going to go hang out in a car dealership to get my truck serviced.

Unfortunately, I'm afraid we're doomed.

Old 06-30-2020, 01:01 PM

9,797 posts, read 11,191,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
Just got off the phone with the dealership...tried to get my truck in for service and since their website advertises pick up and drop off services for maintenance I called to schedule my truck to be picked up and serviced...

The service writer announces that "we were doing that back when things were locked down, we're not offering that now that things are opened back up". This is why Arizona numbers are so high...people don't realize we're in the worst shape we have been and now is when we need all the mitigation practices we wasted too early when NYC was at their peak. There is no way I'm going to go hang out in a car dealership to get my truck serviced.

Unfortunately, I'm afraid we're doomed.
Have your employee drop it off! JUST kidding!

Old 06-30-2020, 01:03 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,236,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Have your employee drop it off! JUST kidding!
Lol, good idea.

Old 06-30-2020, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
You just advocated for the shutdown of salons again. You know good and well that getting a haircut is a 1-on-1 encounter. Not high-risk in the least.

Yet, you continue to say that the BLM protests were not high-risk. Please explain to me how this is not problematic? I don't care how many masks you see in this crowd, this is not safe.

How do you refute this? A picture is worth a thousand words.

Not to mention that the majority of protesters also happen to fall into the age group of people who are also out frequenting the bars at night. This is just common sense, but your ideologies are clouding your judgement.
That's a pretty powerful picture. We would all love to know what constitutes the infectious COVID dose. Do date, we really don't know how many live virus particles we have to inhale before we get the COVID infection.

We do know those big particles (people talking in close proximity) over a longer period of time is a no-no. We also know that when we wear a POS mask, it will knock down much of the larger particles while doing a lousy job containing aerosols.

In your picture, you surely wouldn't find me! Still, if the protesters were spreading the virus by the thousands, I would have suspected it would easily show up in the numbers. Allow me to expand: minus the yelling, that picture could have been from a busy congested town in China or Hong Kong. As in, they are going about their busy day wearing their masks and their infection numbers are a fraction of what they are here. So the question that begs to be answered is how much does it help to be outside? And do POS masks do a good enough job outside to completely minimize the virus spread? I think we are slowly understanding that being outside helps more than we thought and the crappy masks are minimizing those large doses (spit).

To me at least, my critical thinking skills conclude that the peaceful protestors that were outdoors and wore masks were lucky. And to be clear, it is obvious to me that some people transmitted the virus to others in the crowd. I just don't think as many as we might have thought.

Last edited by MN-Born-n-Raised; 06-30-2020 at 01:28 PM..

Old 06-30-2020, 01:37 PM

770 posts, read 838,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Someone told me yesterday, with a completely straight face, that if Biden is elected, COVID will vanish. It's mind-boggling how many people with some variation of this mindset are out there.
The politicization of the virus will vanish. We went from virus to riots back to to the virus without skipping a beat. It's 100% political and to keep it the economy destabilized until the election

Old 06-30-2020, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempeAZnative View Post
The politicization of the virus will vanish. We went from virus to riots back to to the virus without skipping a beat. It's 100% political and to keep it the economy destabilized until the election
So, after the election people will quit refusing to wear masks and begin acting sensibly?

Old 06-30-2020, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempeAZnative View Post
Nothing new. It's been that way forever. The other side is hoping for bad news (the ends justify the means).

That said, no chance that the politicization of the virus will vanish. The only reason why the virus came back into clarity is that people in the southern states didn't want to wear their masks. Part of the reason is based on politics. I clearly remember posting that the surgeon general was a pawn or idiot for saying that masks don't help. I linked SAR's studies that proved the opposite before our pawn surgeon general changed his tune. He couldn't have been that stupid. His old boss (Pence) told him what to say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area