Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2020, 03:01 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,663,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elna Rae View Post
Not where I hang so I don't know. I hope they don't pass Covid but I DO hope they VOTE.
I hope they don't vote....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2020, 06:03 AM

9,823 posts, read 11,221,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
He had a rally in two locations, Phoenix and Tulsa. Tulsa attendance was 6,200 and Phoenix attendance was capped around 3,000. Of those 9,200, I'm sure a decent portion were masked (I have no clue the actual amount). Either way, that is only 9,200 people. Do you have any idea how many people were protesting throughout the US? Hundreds of thousands would be my guess. Mask or no mask, the numbers are staggering and do matter.
More often than not, Detroit and I don't agree. But he has a valid concern about close proximity, non-mask inside gatherings that include religious/political gatherings. Is he more critical of church gatherings? Yep, that's pretty obvious. I'll leave it at that.

Realize that South Korea has done an amazing job tackling the virus. So while someone at the top was in denial that "only" 100 people died in the USA, Korea was going in overdrive when the 1st person contracted the virus. Within a week of its 1st case, Korea developed a COVID test! In the USA, 2 months. Anybody who understands exponential growth knows even a few days matter. And frankly, not a lot of people grasp the impact of exponential growth or they wouldn't accuse someone of being a "mask alarmist". The virus seemingly takes weeks to take hold. Once it does, the power of the exponential growth lesson begins. In the next several weeks, PHX (like NYC) is going to get a death lesson. For those who are in denial and don't want to be a "mask alarmist", go out and don't bother wearing one and see where that gets your family and friends. I digress.

Here is your proof about how "only" 4000 people that are close, maskless, and inside proximity can make a long term difference. In Korea, it's well understood through tracing what can happen. The Shincheonji Church of Jesus cult had 60% or 2400 of their 4000 members test positive for COVID. Based on tracing, a full 75% of Korea's entire countries positive tests were a result of that church. Read https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-51701039

Now before I get some grief for calling it a "cult", realize that Lee Man-hee who is the leader of the Shincheonji Church of Jesus claims he is the 2nd coming of Jesus. It's a cult. Right?.

So yea, a large church gathering and a large rally are dangerous and idiotic. Protests are more than suspect as well. And if it didn't spread like a wildflower, they got lucky. Not because they cared or were educated on why they didn't have a concern. Science and experience be damned! It's why I rant about people not being very technical. People just need to read and think some more. The data is out there. And it should be crystal clear worship or rallies needs to be on hold for a while.

Old 07-01-2020, 09:04 AM

1,695 posts, read 1,288,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
More often than not, Detroit and I don't agree. But he has a valid concern about close proximity, non-mask inside gatherings that include religious/political gatherings. Is he more critical of church gatherings? Yep, that's pretty obvious. I'll leave it at that.

Realize that South Korea has done an amazing job tackling the virus. So while someone at the top was in denial that "only" 100 people died in the USA, Korea was going in overdrive when the 1st person contracted the virus. Within a week of its 1st case, Korea developed a COVID test! In the USA, 2 months. Anybody who understands exponential growth knows even a few days matter. And frankly, not a lot of people grasp the impact of exponential growth or they wouldn't accuse someone of being a "mask alarmist". The virus seemingly takes weeks to take hold. Once it does, the power of the exponential growth lesson begins. In the next several weeks, PHX (like NYC) is going to get a death lesson. For those who are in denial and don't want to be a "mask alarmist", go out and don't bother wearing one and see where that gets your family and friends. I digress.

Here is your proof about how "only" 4000 people that are close, maskless, and inside proximity can make a long term difference. In Korea, it's well understood through tracing what can happen. The Shincheonji Church of Jesus cult had 60% or 2400 of their 4000 members test positive for COVID. Based on tracing, a full 75% of Korea's entire countries positive tests were a result of that church. Read https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-51701039

Now before I get some grief for calling it a "cult", realize that Lee Man-hee who is the leader of the Shincheonji Church of Jesus claims he is the 2nd coming of Jesus. It's a cult. Right?.

So yea, a large church gathering and a large rally are dangerous and idiotic. Protests are more than suspect as well. And if it didn't spread like a wildflower, they got lucky. Not because they cared or were educated on why they didn't have a concern. Science and experience be damned! It's why I rant about people not being very technical. People just need to read and think some more. The data is out there. And it should be crystal clear worship or rallies needs to be on hold for a while.
I am in no way condoning the rally. I think it's dumb and pointless. Also, as I've said many times before, I am a strong advocate for wearing a mask. My point is very simple. It's unfair to attack churches, a rally, and salons, while fully supporting tens of thousands of protesters. I'm just trying to point out that they are all dumb (although I still stand by salons being ok). But, yet again, some people on here are trying to politicize this by saying one thing is ok, while the other is not, based solely on ideology.

Old 07-01-2020, 09:50 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,679,901 times

Old 07-01-2020, 10:29 AM

9,823 posts, read 11,221,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
I am in no way condoning the rally. I think it's dumb and pointless. Also, as I've said many times before, I am a strong advocate for wearing a mask. My point is very simple. It's unfair to attack churches, a rally, and salons, while fully supporting tens of thousands of protesters. I'm just trying to point out that they are all dumb (although I still stand by salons being ok). But, yet again, some people on here are trying to politicize this by saying one thing is ok, while the other is not, based solely on ideology.
Based on your other posts, I understood that. I overview was global in nature. But I was addressing how a few thousands of people that are inside a building can become a super spreading situation. Next up, the 4th of July in SD. The Governor of that state was saying "it's people decide if they want to wear a mask". Well, I think she is an idiot for saying such a thing. It's all over the national news. This is why we are where we are. ZERO leadership by some.

Old 07-01-2020, 11:06 AM

39,110 posts, read 51,351,497 times
5000 new cases! 28% positive! This is nuts. I don't think Zonies did anything more than people in other states in rushing out to beaches, bars, and restaurants. Why is AZ getting hit so bad (5000 would be equivalent to around 15000 in Florida)?

Old 07-01-2020, 11:26 AM

26,253 posts, read 49,156,904 times
A number of autopsy reports are in and this virus is a monster. Story in today's WaPo.

Excerpt:

"When pathologist Amy Rapkiewicz began the grim process of opening up the coronavirus dead to learn how their bodies went awry, she found damage to the lungs, kidneys and liver consistent with what doctors had reported for months. But something was off. Rapkiewicz, who directs autopsies at NYU Langone Health, noticed that some organs had far too many of a special type of cell rarely found in those places. She had never seen that before, yet it seemed vaguely familiar. She raced to her history books and — in a eureka moment — found a reference to 1960′s report on a patient with dengue fever. ... Among the most important findings, consistent across several studies, is confirmation the virus appears to attack the lungs the most ferociously. They also found the pathogen in parts of the brain, kidneys, liver, gastrointestinal tract, spleen and in the endothelial cells that line blood vessels, as some had previously suspected. Researchers also found widespread clotting in many organs."

All the more reason to stay home if you can, wear a mask, keep your distance, wash your hands and try to survive this horror.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-01-2020, 11:43 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,679,901 times
I'm just going to leave this here from good ole Fox 10 Phoenix:

Little evidence that George Floyd protests spread coronavirus in US

This is great news as it strengthens the fact that masks and being outdoors are significant mitigating factors.

Old 07-01-2020, 12:21 PM

872 posts, read 1,002,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
A number of autopsy reports are in and this virus is a monster. Story in today's WaPo.

Excerpt:

"When pathologist Amy Rapkiewicz began the grim process of opening up the coronavirus dead to learn how their bodies went awry, she found damage to the lungs, kidneys and liver consistent with what doctors had reported for months. But something was off. Rapkiewicz, who directs autopsies at NYU Langone Health, noticed that some organs had far too many of a special type of cell rarely found in those places. She had never seen that before, yet it seemed vaguely familiar. She raced to her history books and — in a eureka moment — found a reference to 1960′s report on a patient with dengue fever. ... Among the most important findings, consistent across several studies, is confirmation the virus appears to attack the lungs the most ferociously. They also found the pathogen in parts of the brain, kidneys, liver, gastrointestinal tract, spleen and in the endothelial cells that line blood vessels, as some had previously suspected. Researchers also found widespread clotting in many organs."

All the more reason to stay home if you can, wear a mask, keep your distance, wash your hands and try to survive this horror.
It's honestly a gambling game at this point. I have seen stories of people spreading it at beach, in bars, family gatherings, church services and the protests. Then there are some studies that show some protests and other events had little to no spread. A few stories mention people who took all the precautions and still got it the second they ventured out after quarantine. Then there are some who don't wear masks and go out and are ok. Then, you have the chances of them getting sick at all vs asymptomatic. Then there is the chance of being hospitalized vs just recovering at home-the majority recover at home or don't even have symptoms. Add on top of that we see young healthy people getting severe illness and of course those with pre exisiting high risk conditions dying or becoming very ill. All while many people seem to be unaffected (in the short term-we don't even know long term effects of COVID-19 full yet.) Others having irrevsable lung and organ damage. Long term clotting and even neoro defects

You can see why some people choose to take it seriously and many others don't.

It's just a crazy thing we have very little knowledge about regardless of all the stats and studies we read/watch

Old 07-01-2020, 12:34 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,247,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
I'm just going to leave this here from good ole Fox 10 Phoenix:

Little evidence that George Floyd protests spread coronavirus in US

This is great news as it strengthens the fact that masks and being outdoors are significant mitigating factors.
It was only those darn outdoor "salon protesters" that were a problem.

Such and unbiased viewpoint of the protesters that you didn't agree with...

Quote:
Exactly. Look at all the moronic protesters. This isn't exactly the Mensa crowd. In fairness, the more educated and wealthier have the luxury of waiting this thing out.
Quote:
I’ll hang back while the Guinea pigs run wild. What concerns me, is these seem to be the sort that lack hygiene and self-care to begin with. Most of the protesters seem chunky and rough looking. If they don’t drop dead, I may slowly emerge from my luxurious lair. You can support the economy without getting your hair and nails done and waiting in the slop line at Chili’s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area