Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2020, 11:23 AM

4,866 posts, read 11,241,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
We have many friends, neighbors, and co-workers who think this is not a big deal. Some think it's a political conspiracy against Trump. I doubt anything will convince enough people to take it seriously. Even a vaccine may not squash it, as there are so many tinfoil hat folks out there who will not take the vaccine.

I expect we will be dealing with COVID here for quite some time, possibly years.
I'm conservative so you would think I would have exposure to what you're experiencing but I'm not. In my circle it is overwhelmingly young people that just don't care that are practicing poor behavior. Political reasons (on either side) are not the cause of the spread in those that I work and interact with. The other group where we are seeing spread are family groups that have young people living with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2020, 11:32 AM

2,775 posts, read 5,735,410 times
Quote:
We have many friends, neighbors, and co-workers who think this is not a big deal. Some think it's a political conspiracy against Trump. I doubt anything will convince enough people to take it seriously. Even a vaccine may not squash it, as there are so many tinfoil hat folks out there who will not take the vaccine.

I expect we will be dealing with COVID here for quite some time, possibly years.
To me it's all optics these days. Some things are okay, while other things are not. Some people are causing an increase, while others are not. Governments doing too much and not enough.

There seems to be no balance, just pendulum swings back and forth. So there's always going to be a 'forget this' crowd that will prevent common sense consensus.

I'm going to start blaming the Earth's changing magnetic field. Love to see that prescription for repairing that in a 30 second news reading or political ad.

Old 06-30-2020, 11:46 AM

9,819 posts, read 11,205,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
This isn't too far off unfortunately.
I have some friends who own nursing homes and home healthcare businesses. The places that make the most are located in outstate because they have lower wages. They would make near-zero profit if they lived in a metro area. The economy of scale is about the only way to make it in spots like PHX metro. So I feel your pain. You really don't have a choice to pay people what they are worth. Therefore, you have to deal with young or foreign employees.

Old 06-30-2020, 11:56 AM

1,695 posts, read 1,284,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
I don’t think I ever called them super-spreaders. There’s a pretty significant difference between those mostly higher-risk protesting about their constitutional right to a haircut in the middle of a global pandemic and young people wearing masks protesting after the police murdered an innocent man.
You just advocated for the shutdown of salons again. You know good and well that getting a haircut is a 1-on-1 encounter. Not high-risk in the least.

Yet, you continue to say that the BLM protests were not high-risk. Please explain to me how this is not problematic? I don't care how many masks you see in this crowd, this is not safe.

How do you refute this? A picture is worth a thousand words.

Not to mention that the majority of protesters also happen to fall into the age group of people who are also out frequenting the bars at night. This is just common sense, but your ideologies are clouding your judgement.

Old 06-30-2020, 11:57 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,669,627 times
Quote:

Someone told me yesterday, with a completely straight face, that if Biden is elected, COVID will vanish. It's mind-boggling how many people with some variation of this mindset are out there.

Old 06-30-2020, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
You just advocated for the shutdown of salons again. You know good and well that getting a haircut is a 1-on-1 encounter. Not high-risk in the least.

Yet, you continue to say that the BLM protests were not high-risk. Please explain to me how this is not problematic? I don't care how many masks you see in this crowd, this is not safe.

How do you refute this? A picture is worth a thousand words.

Not to mention that the majority of protesters also happen to fall into the age group of people who are also out frequenting the bars at night. This is just common sense, but your ideologies are clouding your judgement.
Thanks for the visual. I count one person without a mask and they are clearly outside. Given those two mitigating factors, I don't think that would be considered very high risk. Certainly nowhere near the risk level of those in a similar age group sitting shoulder-to-shoulder indoors for hours without a mask in sight. Can we at least agree on that?

Old 06-30-2020, 12:13 PM

Someone that argues getting a haircut needs to be restricted but advocates for protests (of any kind) during a pandemic loses all credibility so we should just move one. It is silly to continue the argument but I keep being drug into it.

Old 06-30-2020, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
Someone that argues getting a haircut needs to be restricted but advocates for protests (of any kind) during a pandemic loses all credibility so we should just move one. It is silly to continue the argument but I keep being drug into it.
I'm not advocating for protests. I'm saying consider mitigating factors, or lack thereof, when criticizing activities and don't simply call out those that you don't understand/agree with. We've seen far riskier activities than outdoor protesters wearing masks, yet people keep going on about them.

If there is still confusion on haircuts vs. protests, I'd refer you to the Constitution for further clarity.

Old 06-30-2020, 12:20 PM

1,695 posts, read 1,284,249 times
Quote:
Thanks for the visual. I count one person without a mask and they are clearly outside. Given those two mitigating factors, I don't think that would be considered very high risk. Certainly nowhere near the risk level of those in a similar age group sitting shoulder-to-shoulder indoors for hours without a mask in sight. Can we at least agree on that?
Not sure a bandanna from Wal-Mart is a viable mitigation technique for the transmission of Covid. Can we agree on that? On top of that, there are thousands of people shoulder to shoulder yelling at the sky. Stuff is still being transmitted. I don't know how you can deny that.

And I will agree that non-masked people shoulder to shoulder at a bar is worse. No doubt. But again, not sure how the whole salon thing is such an issue. And I have absolutely no skin in that game....I shave my head myself.

Old 06-30-2020, 12:21 PM

Quote:
I'm not advocating for protests. I'm saying consider mitigating factors, or lack thereof, when criticizing activities and don't simply call out those that you don't understand/agree with. We've seen far riskier activities than outdoor protesters wearing masks, yet people keep going on about them.

If there is still confusion on haircuts vs. protests, I'd refer you to the Constitution for further clarity.
Since I didn't identify anyone, it is good to see that you recognize who has lost all credibility in this argument.

Btw...if the Constitution was the sole reason for your argument you would not have pointed out the political rallies, churches, or "salon protesters, in your previous posts. Again, you are cherry picking based off of your political bias. As we all suspected your POV has little to do with the Constitution.

Last edited by LBTRS; 06-30-2020 at 12:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area