Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2020, 09:43 AM

13,895 posts, read 8,086,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Don’t they have signs posted to remind those that are forgetful? It’s not like a return to the car to grab the forgotten mask is impossible.

There's a sign on the door to enter gas station register area on Recker/Brown which is prominently displayed stating you need a mask

But I don't recall seeing such a sign at Fry's or Home Depot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2020, 10:27 AM

6,783 posts, read 5,089,024 times
Some people are failing to appreciate that mortality rate is not the only issue. For example, anytime an employee (not wfm, obviously) tests positive, the business/office/plant may be shut down temporarily for cleaning, and other employees who were in close contact may be sent home to self-quarantine. This is disruptive to someone who is trying to run a business.

Letting the virus run nearly unchecked is a risky strategy, in my estimation. It will be devastating to the local economy for several reasons. First, a significant portion of the local population is going to stay home. Second, we'll have far fewer visitors from other states (and countries) coming here to spend money. Third is the disruption described in the paragraph above. Fourth is the decimation of local and state government budgets, which will precipitate many layoffs.

Last edited by hikernut; 06-29-2020 at 11:11 AM..

Old 06-29-2020, 11:22 AM

1,695 posts, read 1,285,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
As my shortlist of reasons pointed out, education level comes into play. Therefore, when people get together in large groups during a pandemic, on average, that ties in with being less educated. Because as we all know, masks cause an increased CO2. And we are all heard about folks who ACTUALLY think it's the 5G that is the source of the problem. Or only older people die from COVID etc . See https://www.fema.gov/coronavirus/rumor-control

My Hispanic landscaper (the business owner) explained how this is all a scam. You know, he believes Covid-19 is a political, worldwide hoax to control people. Why on earth would he wear a mask. He doesn't want to be "controlled".

Note, there are a lot of brilliant Native Americans, Hispanics, and Blacks. Just follow the money. When they are poorer (on average) they find themselves in a not-so-good situation. And yes, how minorities have been treated factors into where they in society. Not because they aren't as smart of a group. Systemic racism is alive and well in this country.
Oddly enough, I know plenty of well-educated people who also believe this is a sham. I'm talking people with multiple degrees, executives, business owners, etc. They legit don't believe this.

Old 06-29-2020, 11:24 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,671,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
Oddly enough, I know plenty of well-educated people who also believe this is a sham. I'm talking people with multiple degrees, executives, business owners, etc. They legit don't believe this.
What does that even mean, they don't believe this? That's like believing that oxygen doesn't exist.

Old 06-29-2020, 11:43 AM

1,108 posts, read 1,386,326 times
Very scary story here:

Researcher: Asymptomatic Coronavirus Patients Can Still Face Organ Damage

Quote:
One study looked at CT scans conducted on individuals aboard the Diamond Princess cruise ship. In that case, 54% of 76 asymptomatic individuals showed significant subclinical lung abnormalities
Please, for the love of God, wear a mask if you can, you never know if you or your loved ones are going to have some significant health issues due to this later on, even if you don't show symptoms right now.

This disease is scary. No flu / cold causes organ damage like this.

Old 06-29-2020, 12:11 PM

1,695 posts, read 1,285,027 times
Quote:
What does that even mean, they don't believe this? That's like believing that oxygen doesn't exist.
Wrong choice of words. They just believe this is nothing more than a flu. Are not the least bit worried. They feel like the media and government is sensationalizing this for other motives (which I believe they are, to an extent). Either way, I very much disagree with this line of thought.

Old 06-29-2020, 04:51 PM

9,822 posts, read 11,208,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
If their point is that it's overblown because it's being talked about 24-7, then we agree. But remember, the media and government are constantly monitoring what is on people's minds. They are going to cover what people want to consume. So it isn't the evil media, rather, the media reacting to website hits and ratings. Additionally, it's not a big deal for 99.9% of teens. Well other that something like this might happen https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/2020...be-long-term#1 [long term permanent olfactory (smell) dysfunction].

But remember, people closest to COVID don't think it is a sham. Allow me to rephrase it another way.... If a doctor or scientist ever decides to give an executive or business owner advice on how to run a company, you should realize their opinion isn't worth a lot. After all, they might have 8-15 years of education. Does that mean you would put any stock in their opinion? I'd also argue that on average, those who think it's a sham have researched it the least. Or, cherry-picked information that reinforces their opinion.

Old 06-29-2020, 05:12 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,652,907 times
Just heard about the new shutdown. F*****g Ducey, I just started working out again 6 weeks ago after the last shut down ended, and now he's going to close gym's again! He's lucky he can't run again (this is his 2nd term)! Now I have to look into spending hundreds of dollars on my own equipment, because I had to go almost 10 weeks without working out last time and it made me soft. Refuse to let that happen again!

Old 06-29-2020, 05:16 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,671,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Just heard about the new shutdown. F*****g Ducey, I just started working out again 6 weeks ago after the last shut down ended, and now he's going to close gym's again! He's lucky he can't run again (this is his 2nd term)! Now I have to look into spending hundreds of dollars on my own equipment, because I had to go almost 10 weeks without working out last time and it made me soft. Refuse to let that happen again!
This is satirical, right?

Old 06-29-2020, 05:48 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,652,907 times
Quote:
This is satirical, right?
No, I'm serious. I can't take another month off from the gym after not getting to workout for 10 weeks during the last shutdown. I lost so much progress. I'm just going to shell out the dough for my own equipment this time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area