Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2020, 06:56 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,651,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Well he personally is going to cost me at least $900, which will be the bare minimum it will cost to set up a home gym with real weights (i.e. barbells). I lift weights regularly and at this point I think I'm done going to regular gyms, since they can just be closed on a freaking whim now
A whim? Like he just woke up and decided to randomly shut down gyms for no reason. You’re complaining about not being able to go to the gym while others are grieving their loved ones who very well may have been spread the virus by someone that got it from a gym. You realize how this sounds, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2020, 07:05 PM

13 posts, read 4,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
No, I'm serious. I can't take another month off from the gym after not getting to workout for 10 weeks during the last shutdown. I lost so much progress. I'm just going to shell out the dough for my own equipment this time
Buy used, most people practically give away equipment after using it for a few months. I bet there's a few gyms going out of business too

Old 06-29-2020, 07:11 PM

8,045 posts, read 12,271,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
A whim? Like he just woke up and decided to randomly shut down gyms for no reason. You’re complaining about not being able to go to the gym while others are grieving their loved ones who very well may have been spread the virus by someone that got it from a gym. You realize how this sounds, right?
You have to look at it from both sides. Yes, it's concerning that the number of confirmed cases have drastically risen in the Phoenix area (and throughout many other states for that matter), but the solution is not to do another forced closure of businesses. It was ineffective the first time around, and all it really did was cause higher unemployment, a great financial loss for many business owners, and a serious inconvenience to customers.

Fact of the matter is that Phoenix (and Hellizona for that matter) are in a negative spotlight now ... and it's not only because of COVID 19, but that's certainly the main reason. We've also been in the national news for the raging wildfires. But hey, it's a DRY heat, right? Let me put it this way: when I was out of state recently, the few people I came across weren't very approving when they found out I live in Phoenix. As much as I hate to say this, we're regarded as the butt crack of the nation right now.

Old 06-29-2020, 07:20 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,281,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
I wasn't clear. I was comparing northern states to hot and humid southern states. Obviously people in WI and MN are inside often during the summers (rain, work, evenings, etc). If it's a factor (heat and humidity make a surge in cases ) I didn't think about it before.
Just like I answered the Canadian guy, how many Hispanics in Wisconsin and Minnesota? That's who is currently spreading it around in AZ right now, by and large

Old 06-29-2020, 07:27 PM

26,221 posts, read 49,066,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
You have to look at it from both sides. Yes, it's concerning that the number of confirmed cases have drastically risen in the Phoenix area (and throughout many other states for that matter), but the solution is not to do another forced closure of businesses. It was ineffective the first time around, and all it really did was cause higher unemployment, a great financial loss for many business owners, and a serious inconvenience to customers.

Fact of the matter is that Phoenix (and Hellizona for that matter) are in a negative spotlight now ... and it's not only because of COVID 19, but that's certainly the main reason. We've also been in the national news for the raging wildfires. But hey, it's a DRY heat, right? Let me put it this way: when I was out of state recently, the few people I came across weren't very approving when they found out I live in Phoenix. As much as I hate to say this, we're regarded as the butt crack of the nation right now.
It's a loss to all sides and a disaster for many businesses.

The butt crack states are FL, TX and AZ, as the governors of all 3 states let themselves be bullied into re-opening without strong safeguards like mandatory mask wearing and distancing. Now all 3 states are surging badly and have to backpedal. I hope Ducey likes the taste of crow.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 06-29-2020, 07:27 PM

9,746 posts, read 11,169,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
Just like I answered the Canadian guy, how many Hispanics in Wisconsin and Minnesota? That's who is currently spreading it around in AZ right now, by and large
Point taken... There are dramatically different demographics. Additionally, the spreaders currently are also young bar hoppers.

Old 06-29-2020, 07:44 PM

8,045 posts, read 12,271,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post

The butt crack states are FL, TX and AZ, as the governors of all 3 states let themselves be bullied into re-opening without strong safeguards like mandatory mask wearing and distancing. Now all 3 states are surging badly and have to backpedal. I hope Ducey likes the taste of crow.
We needed to reopen. Shutting down business was only effective in screeching the economy to a halt, but it had little to no effect on stopping the spread of the virus. Unemployment rose to 15% during the lockdown, and many businesses suffered enormous losses. I personally know one restaurant owner who was unable to fully reopen due to the restrictions, and had finally had to permanently close due to his profits are in the toilet.

What I'm saying is the Sunbelt states are experiencing a dramatic hike in the number of COVID 19 cases, and Arizona seems to be leading the way. Some people actually claimed that we'd be safer here because we're less dense than the eastern cities, and because we're not a cold weather location. This has been proven to be pure nonsense ... especially on the climatic front. Viruses usually take a vacation during the hot summer months, but not COVID 19! This virus seems to thrive on the heat.

I really don't know what the solution is, other than to wear masks and socially distance whenever possible. Maybe that's not the final answer, but I would much rather don a mask when I go to a store, instead of having another ineffective shutdown, or restriction of goods & services. Maybe the answer is for more of us to get out of Hellizona. I spent some time up in the northern tip of Idaho recently, and nobody had to worry about COVID 19 because there are no confirmed cases there at all ... NONE whatsoever! Hardly anybody I came across wore masks except me. I wish I could have stayed all summer up there. It's an absolute paradise compared to this dumbass place!

Old 06-29-2020, 08:54 PM

525 posts, read 539,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post

Only 2 states are seeing decreases in Covid-19 cases-and many of those states had stricter restrictions than AZ. in fact, everyone was praising California, and now they are seeing 5,000-plus cases each day. Wouldn't have mattered when Ducey re-opened.

Old 06-29-2020, 09:04 PM

15,253 posts, read 12,974,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Maricopa County is 6th highest in the nation with the latest numbers ... yet another reason for Phoenix to be proud. On top of this comes even more stupidity in the land of fried brains: no plans to reopen St. Luke's, even after planning was in place to reopen this facility back in April. Now it's a no go, even with all the other hospitals becoming overwhelmed. See the article below:

https://www.azfamily.com/news/contin...9d870cad8.html

That article is dated June 10.

Old 06-29-2020, 09:19 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,651,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belgirl View Post
Only 2 states are seeing decreases in Covid-19 cases-and many of those states had stricter restrictions than AZ. in fact, everyone was praising California, and now they are seeing 5,000-plus cases each day. Wouldn't have mattered when Ducey re-opened.
We’re seeing around 4,000 new cases per day and CA has nearly 6 times the population of AZ. Not exactly the best example to try to prove your point.

It was the method in which we reopened that was problematic as well as being premature. We went from 0 to 100 and threw all caution to the wind. We could have done a much better job being calculated with our reopening. Ducey lost control with his weak, follower mentality.

How Arizona ‘lost control of the epidemic’
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area