Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2020, 12:25 PM

1,699 posts, read 1,294,457 times

Advertisements

It is rare that I see a Hispanic person wearing a mask. Especially going into the grocery store or gas station, the landscapers and construction types are never masked. Until stores start enforcing it, I don't expect that to change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2020, 12:29 PM

1,699 posts, read 1,294,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C3155 View Post
Im not Hispanic, my uncle died of it it early April. He wasn't ill or any preexisting conditions and spent the last winter traveling the world , his wife suspects he caught it in a German airport on his way home in mid March. My brother had it in April, he caught it from his wife , a nurse both of them healthy. My brother is still short of breath and hasn't used the treadmill since. My father passed away in May he was in a long term care facility we suspect he slso died of it as the facility was on the outbreak list the week following his death. Covid 19 does not discriminate.
Thank you for pointing out that Covid doesn't discriminate. Most of the people on this forum are fairly educated. We don't all agree on many issues, but I can say with certainty that smart people hang out here. That being said, it's how people act and their prevention methods (or lack thereof) that is causing a discrepancy. It has nothing to do with your uncle not being Hispanic.

Old 06-28-2020, 12:32 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,304,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
I hope I don’t get slapped on the wrist for this and this is anecdotal but even my Mexican friends that are white collar professionals and some are working from home, seem to be going out much more often to restaurants and gatherings. I don’t really understand the discrepancy, but I see it too.

It makes me rethink having my housekeeper over regularly. She’s like family and seems to be cautious but I know she lives with multiple generations in her house and that inherently can be risky. What are others doing on this front?
Yeah we stopped having our housekeeper visit in March. Which is fine I guess because we used to be gone 5-6 night a week for kids events that are now not happening, now we have time.

Old 06-28-2020, 12:48 PM

566 posts, read 577,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
Yeah we stopped having our housekeeper visit in March. Which is fine I guess because we used to be gone 5-6 night a week for kids events that are now not happening, now we have time.

I hope if you're all continuing to earn the same income, you are considering paying those workers who you are no longer bringing into your homes. They are also trying to put food on the table and often without any government subsidies to support them when things are difficult.

No doubt Hispanics have higher number of cases, but they are also less likely to work in jobs where they can maintain distancing, less likely to be able to work from home, live in multi generational living situations where there are numerous adults going out to different jobs during the day, have less access to healthcare. The list goes on and on. People living in poverty are more likely to be minorities and they are being hit harder by this. etc.. This isn't about groups of people having large parties. That's going on with young affluent white folks.

Old 06-28-2020, 01:01 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,304,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringler24 View Post
I hope if you're all continuing to earn the same income, you are considering paying those workers who you are no longer bringing into your homes. They are also trying to put food on the table and often without any government subsidies to support them when things are difficult.

No doubt Hispanics have higher number of cases, but they are also less likely to work in jobs where they can maintain distancing, less likely to be able to work from home, live in multi generational living situations where there are numerous adults going out to different jobs during the day, have less access to healthcare. The list goes on and on. People living in poverty are more likely to be minorities and they are being hit harder by this. etc.. This isn't about groups of people having large parties. That's going on with young affluent white folks.
Nah we're not paying them. Sounds like Detroit has a regular scheduled cleaning, we just have them come as needed, like the power washer or window cleaner we use. It's not like they're our employees, but if it was a regular weekly thing I likely would help out

Old 06-28-2020, 01:09 PM

9,830 posts, read 11,242,307 times
Quote:
As I have admitted before, I'm cheap. But I'm going to send my cleaner a check. You bring up a great point.

Last edited by MN-Born-n-Raised; 06-28-2020 at 01:19 PM..

Old 06-28-2020, 01:10 PM

26,273 posts, read 49,198,955 times
Quote:
... Hispanics ... live in multi generational living situations ...
Exactly the same situation as those towns in Italy where multiple generations live in one small home and where the death toll was horrendous.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 06-28-2020, 01:14 PM

2,775 posts, read 5,744,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Exactly the same situation as those towns in Italy where multiple generations live in one small home and where the death toll was horrendous.
In the US early on I remember the Fusco family in NJ, big family, traveled to Italy, came home, big party, got sick, I think 2 died.

Old 06-28-2020, 01:18 PM

9,830 posts, read 11,242,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
I don't fully agree with this, it is largely the Hispanic population. Nogales, Yuma and San Luis hit hard. I think being impoverished is a factor in that they have service type jobs and often share housing, but I think something in the Hispanic culture is also at play here with the large gatherings of extended family that people from Mexico often have. I think eating habits has zero impact on whether you contract the virus or not, it has to do with mortality rate once you have it though.
It might be confused by your post. But what you eat == your overall health. The Native American in AZ is getting hammered for the reasons that I've described. https://news.harvard.edu/gazette/sto...n-communities/

"Native Americans appear to have a higher risk of serious complications because they are likelier to suffer from diabetes, heart disease, and other conditions."

Or poor black communities read https://www.ama-assn.org/delivering-...-hard-covid-19 "Preexisting conditions, such as diabetes, hypertension and obesity that disproportionately impact the African American community. "

OR, the Hispanic community. From https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/18/opini...les/index.html
"preventive health care exposes them to pre-existing conditions like diabetes, respiratory or heart disease that can prove lethal when contracting the coronavirus. In 2019, the CDC reported that Latinos were 1.7 times more likely to be diagnosed with diabetes than whites, and in 2017 reported that Latinos were twice as likely to visit an emergency room because of asthma than whites."

Old 06-28-2020, 01:19 PM

2,775 posts, read 5,744,094 times
Quote:

One of the stories I linked to was about a family getting it (28 people). What that link left out was that they celebrated Grampa's 60th birthday earlier in the month.
So it's a combo of a lot of factors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area